Author Topic: Bindings pros and cons  (Read 696 times)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Bindings pros and cons
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:10:01 am »
Ron and company - when you put Griffins on your skis, do you use an adjustable track.  What do you like about that binding c/w Tyvolia/Head PowerRail

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Bindings pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:21:27 am »
Perry....I like the idea of being able to adjust the binding fore or aft depending on where my ideal balance point is.

I have a pair of Marker Griffons on my Kastle but if I were to do it again for any skis...I'd probably go with the Griffon Schizw 12.....

This way you'd have the choice of being able to move the binding without re-drilling....

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:48:49 am »
Perry, you can buy a demo griff or a plate that gives you the ability to move the binding. If you are buying these from Scott, Dawg, he has them. I would aslo speak with Scott about a mount point.  I would think center to +1 is probably good but he knows that ski better. I don't know how much real rocker (run and rise) it has.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:58:46 am »
Gary and Ron - thanks
Scott also has the Fischer bindings but they aren't on the site and he can only put them on the fischer skis.  I'll have to call and make sure we can move them fore and aft.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:43:40 am »
I went to the Fischer web site...doesn't look like their freeride bindings are adjustable.

Given your height and weight, I'm thinking the standard mounting point is going to be right on.

I typically like my bindings about 1/2 inch forward but the S3's are right on at the standard mount.

You might run it by Dawg....

Hey worst case scenario, you could always have them remounted......but finding the sweet spot makes a huge difference!

Best, g

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 09:46:21 am »
why the ty/fischer bindings? Why not a jester on a plate if you are concerned? I do think the center or recommended mount is going to be fine.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:07:57 am »
He was out of the adjustable plates for the Marker, so went with the Fischer which is the same as the Head/Ty binding.  Jim really likes his.  The adjustments are very easy.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 11:11:41 am »
that's a good binding...

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 12:02:41 pm »
Perry..which model? is the Mojo or the Powerail?

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 12:48:25 pm »
power rail.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 01:46:46 pm »
Just to throw in my two cents, of all adjustable bindings that I have ever used, I would say that the Griffon/Jester adajustables are by far the best. In fact you can make a case that because the Griffon/Jester adjustables are so close to the non adjustables that one should buy those instead of standard bindings. I have never played with them but I think they will give you the ability to move the center point forwrad and back a good degree (probably more than what you get on the Schizo). As I remember you can move both the toe and heel piece a good ways back and forth. Personally I would buy one of these before the Schizo that only lets you move 7mm.

For the price, it is hard to beat the Railflex bindings. 12 din railflex can be had for as low as $100 most of the time of Levelnine. Moves 1.5cm both forward and back. Does raise the height of the boot but I like this as it makes the ski easier to tip. Don't know the power rail other than it is lower stand height and there are no delal on them this season. Next year deals should be plentiful as Head is the worst co out there at protecting their dealers from price discounting.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:06:44 pm »
wow we totally agree on bindings!  so cool!   ;D

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:32:19 pm »
Just to throw in my two cents, of all adjustable bindings that I have ever used, I would say that the Griffon/Jester adajustables are by far the best. In fact you can make a case that because the Griffon/Jester adjustables are so close to the non adjustables that one should buy those instead of standard bindings. I have never played with them but I think they will give you the ability to move the center point forwrad and back a good degree (probably more than what you get on the Schizo). As I remember you can move both the toe and heel piece a good ways back and forth. Personally I would buy one of these before the Schizo that only lets you move 7mm.

For the price, it is hard to beat the Railflex bindings. 12 din railflex can be had for as low as $100 most of the time of Levelnine. Moves 1.5cm both forward and back. Does raise the height of the boot but I like this as it makes the ski easier to tip. Don't know the power rail other than it is lower stand height and there are no delal on them this season. Next year deals should be plentiful as Head is the worst co out there at protecting their dealers from price discounting.

I actually didn't know that I could move the griffon fore and aft so I have learned something here for future reference.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 04:57:33 pm »
I am talking about the Griffon and Jester adjustable/demo bindings. The regular Griffon and Jesters can't be moved.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 06:00:09 pm »
ok, I understand you now.  He was out of those so it wasn't an option.