Author Topic: New ski purchase  (Read 640 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: New ski purchase
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
ah grasshopper....one must be in tune with the "music of the mountain", the "rhythm of the terrain"....

to dance down the mountain....indeed!  ::)   

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 12:44:57 pm »
Hey Perry...I was just discussing the KOA with a lady friend...the 150 is just under 5 foot and the 159 is about 5'2". Your dancing sweetheart will probably find the 150 quicker and more playful indeed. Looks like a very verstile ski one which will have her waltzing through the crud, tangoing down the bumps, and cha cha in the powder.? ;D

What binding was Dawg skiing on the 98?

Dawg was on a demo binding

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 12:47:55 pm »
ah grasshopper....one must be in tune with the "music of the mountain", the "rhythm of the terrain"....

to dance down the mountain....indeed!? ::)? ?

Seriously, that will work for Gloria.  She has great feet, which should make her a great skier.  To agree with Ron's "just ski, dammit"  sentiment; she doesn't think when she dances, she just dances.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 02:13:00 pm »

No dancing on the mountain, you ski the mountain. That's why they call it skiing,? Ballroom dancing is dancing, that's why they call it dancing.......? gliding down, the feeling of weightlessness and speed the sensation of "G" forces, the trees and forest, the silence and adreneline rush appeals to me.? ?Dancing on the mountain? Not so much... ;D
edit forgot to add addi smiley face! 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:10:24 pm by Ron »

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »
This is what we call in medicine, concrete conceptualization >:D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 03:16:03 pm »
can we not use terms like "concrete" when discussing powder....  ;D

hozel

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 08:26:06 am »
I was in "Sierra Cement" this week.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 08:40:38 am »

No dancing on the mountain, you ski the mountain. That's why they call it skiing,? Ballroom dancing is dancing, that's why they call it dancing.......? gliding down, the feeling of weightlessness and speed the sensation of "G" forces, the trees and forest, the silence and adreneline rush appeals to me.? ?Dancing on the mountain? Not so much... ;D
edit forgot to add addi smiley face!?

From an old Jackson Hole T-shirt:

Skiing is like dancing with the mountain

And the mountain always leads.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 09:11:32 am »
Decision made..Watea 98 at 186 cm.? We will see about bindings.? Thinking about power rail

I think I want to also buy the koa 84 for gloria.? She is 160 cm tall (about 5'3" and 130 lbs)? She skis slow and stems occasionally.? What do you think 150 or 159cm.? This will be her out west, off-piste ski.? She is very game to ski in new terrain.

Congratulations on your purchase; maybe now the twitching will stop??  ;D

This is probably too late, but Lynn skis the Muanga at 156.  If the KOA is twin tip, then 159 and if not then 150. And very glad she is open to new territory.  What is her "front side" ski currently?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 09:36:02 am »
Decision made..Watea 98 at 186 cm.? We will see about bindings.? Thinking about power rail

I think I want to also buy the koa 84 for gloria.? She is 160 cm tall (about 5'3" and 130 lbs)? She skis slow and stems occasionally.? What do you think 150 or 159cm.? This will be her out west, off-piste ski.? She is very game to ski in new terrain.

Congratulations on your purchase; maybe now the twitching will stop??? ;D

This is probably too late, but Lynn skis the Muanga at 156.? If the KOA is twin tip, then 159 and if not then 150. And very glad she is open to new territory.? What is her "front side" ski currently?

In the end some brand loyalty won out and I think they should be a blast. Nice review by Dawg that I posted on the binding thread.

Gloria is currently on a Fischer Vision 73 at 152. If she likes the Koa at Snowshoe, the Vision may end up on Ebay.  They have a demo binding and are a little heavy. 

Joe - good to have your contribution to the board.  Keep the comments coming

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »
This is from Dawgcatching over on EPIC, and I like what I am reading.? Also, is it just me or do I pick up some Harb influence or at least similar technique with respect to up movement vs relaxing the downhill leg. (Review also included The ONE and Dynastar 6th sense slicer that I didn't include for brevity sake)

Fischer Watea 98 176cm: new for 2011, 98mm underfoot, rockered tip, soft even flex, more camber than the others, early rise (non-rockered) tail.

Review: this is the lightest ski of the 3, and probably the softest.? Design is slightly different than the other 2: it has a lot of camber underfoot, and the rockered tip?s flex is in line with the flex of the other parts of the ski.? On the Blizzi and Dynastar, the tip is significantly softer than the mid-body of the ski.? 1st run was on groomers: the Watea 98 has a larger (21m) turn radius than the others (which are around 18m). This was evident: the Watea liked a bigger turn, was lacking a bit of energy, a touch grabby, and a decent, but not great carver.? It felt less at home on groomers than the other skis did, more like an MX98 from Kastle, in that it had less sidecut, favored a larger turn, and was more mellow than the other 2 skis tested.

2nd run: bumps: whoa, this ski was really, really good here.? Cat-like in the way it changed direction, super fluid, just absorbed terrain extremely well.? Also, it had a huge sweet spot, the right flex, and overall was close to ?superb? in bumps.? One of the best bump skis of the year.? Fischer must have some bump skiers on their design team: both this and the Motive series are amongst the best I have skied this year.

3rd and 4th run: skiing hard, frozen snow, windpack, some soft warm sloppy snow.? The Watea really shines off-piste.? Hard to put it any other way.? I felt incredibly confident on this ski: I was very confident ?attacking? the mountain, really letting my body flow at the end of the old turn. When on steeps, I tend to tense up (most people do) and sometimes rely on a small up-movement to end the old turn.? I was confident enough on this ski to relax that outer foot, get it tipping early, and before I knew it, my COM was already inside of the next turn as I was flying down the fall line, completely driving the tip and ripping through the belly of the arc.? It was such a predictable ski, that I felt I could trust it not to take me for a ride, and instead trust it to commit fully to the turn and ski aggressively (which is easier said than done).? Once I had the skis flowing fall-line, the tip was soft enough to pull back my feet, get pressured on the tip, and then tip more an extend through the turn. The best way I can describe it is that everything seemed to slow down on this ski; it was almost as though the turns were coming at me in slow-motion, and I could react and anticipate easier than on almost any off-piste model I have been on. To me, these felt like some of the best turns I had ever made.? Once into sloppy snow, the Watea again ripped, with basically no speed limit.? It had a bit of energy underfoot, but was more damp than The One, with slightly more pop than the Slicer.? Huge GS arcs, small turny slalom arcs; whatever you wanted to ski, it wanted to make the turn for you.? Forgiveness was again high; it was tough to make a mistake on the Watea.? Stability was along the lines of the other 3 at speed, but with the light weight, rockered tip and camber underfoot, it was even quicker, in that I felt I could aggressively pull my feet back and get the tip engaged quicker than on any other ski tested.? Probably due in part to the really soft flex on this ski.

The Watea 98 definitely felt the most off-piste capable of the 3 skis (and again, the least fun on groomers, if you were looking for a snappy ?carver? feel).? If you spent most of your day roaming off-piste, but need a ski that isn?t for deep days, the Watea 98 is worth checking out (as is the Watea 84, it is as good off-piste and a quicker to boot).? I don?t know how the 176cm would fare in deeper snow: the length may be a touch short for too much new snow.? A 182cm version of this ski would be sweet: not too long for hardpack, but more float in new snow. Maybe next year.

Feedback from demo customers has been very positive.? Heard everything from "wow, what a ski" to "when is the demo pair going on sale?".

Overall: I liked all 3 skis.? If you like damp, 50/50 performance, the Slicer is a great model. The One has more energy, but is along the same lines in terms of performance and preferred terrain. The Watea 98 is the most off-piste oriented of the 3, and really excels in those conditions.

What was surprising was to find the ?new-school? rockered skis skiing more like ?old-school? traditionally cambered skis than the ?old-school cambered w/only a rockered tip? ski did.? It just goes to show you that the amount of rocker in a ski really is only 1 component of how a ski performs, and is just an extraneous bit of information without all the other information of stiffness, flex, sidecut, weight, flex point distribution, binding interaction that all affect the how a ski will perform on snow.? I know there is a lot of marketing muscle being pushed around trying to sell ?rocker? as a ?ski design? but it is much, much more complex than that.? ?Ski designs are getting harder and harder to characterize on-paper: all the reason to support a knowledgeable shop or demo if possible!?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:46:04 pm by Perry »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 01:19:12 pm »
This is from Dawgcatching over on EPIC, and I like what I am reading.? Also, is it just me or do I pick up some Harb influence or at least similar technique with respect to up movement vs relaxing the downhill leg. (Review also included The ONE and Dynastar 6th sense slicer that I didn't include for brevity sake)

It seems that Dawgcatching is working on his technique.
Max 501 on the PMTS forum posted some video of Dawgcatching skiing (with his permission) for MA.
No one could give a whole lot of feedback because the snow was so deep, you couldn't see his skis!
Yes, it seems Dawgcatching is interested in refining his skiing via PMTS.
L.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:06:12 pm by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 06:43:59 am »
Lynn,
That makes sense and confirms my suspicions. thanks