Author Topic: New ski purchase  (Read 637 times)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: New ski purchase
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 02:37:25 pm »

The MX98 does have early rise. I will say while the Sultan 94 says it does, it does has "marketing rise", minimal at most. As far as length, how big of a guy are you?

6"2" and 205 in street cloths.
I'm a 7-8 skier, good groomer technique - did a Harb camp for whatever that's worth (for me it was worth a lot)? Now venturing off-piste, did a Clendenin mogul camp last year.

I enjoy the off-piste skiing when it suits my level.  I just am not that good at it and to complicate things I haven't really had the right tools.  My SS Mag at 177cm is a good bump ski but with a 72mm waist, makes skiing snow deeper than boot top difficult.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 12:50:25 pm »
Perry...just got back from skiing Blue Mountain, Canada..and i wanted to jump in here.

This past Sunday at our local mountain, Bristol....our conditions were broken hardpack with golf balls snow...so what the heck...as a test, I took out my Rossi S3's...and CARVED up the mountain....the snow was firm to granular, ice spots, ice balls and the skis were flawless turn to turn, carve, drift...all of it.

I've got to say....rockers rule in so many conditions but this....I never expected.

I personally think you ought to include a demo on the S3....phenom ski....playful in the bumps....a dream in off piste and absolutely loves high edge angle carves, as well as being skied flat. It have found no upper speed limit and it loves to pick apart the trails edges at slow speeds.

Yup all sounds pretty darn good...but for me...it truly is!
G

PS great clinics Perry...been there with both as you know and the results I think have proved themselves invaluable to me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:52:23 pm by Gary »

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:13 pm »
Decision made..Watea 98 at 186 cm.  We will see about bindings.  Thinking about power rail

I think I want to also buy the koa 84 for gloria.  She is 160 cm tall (about 5'3" and 130 lbs)  She skis slow and stems occasionally.  What do you think 150 or 159cm.  This will be her out west, off-piste ski.  She is very game to ski in new terrain.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 08:13:12 am »
Congrats Perry.....I'll bet you can't wait to turn it on edge and float that power hull through some deep!

I've found in the fat boards mounting them flat has been perfect....my problem (or the one I care to talk about) is finding the right mounting point.

If you're pretty much mount it where the factory says, then consider flat. I think it's much better in crud, pow and broken snow cause it's more forgiving. I have not lost any of my hard snow performance either....goes for my Kastle and my S3.

Not familiar with the KOA but if it's rocker...she should go for the 159 for sure. Heck, even if it's traditional, a little more board in pow will give her more stability I think.

When do your boards arrive?

G

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 09:01:58 am »
Gary,
The 159 is pretty much what I was thinking.  Scott has them selling at cost, so if they don't work out I can sell them for close to what I buy them for which is why I am pulling the trigger.  I order later in the day.  I might have them for my trip to Snowshoe in 12 days.

Perry

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 09:27:50 am »
Perry...looks like a nice ski for your wife..good width for entry into off piste....is she going up to Snowshoe with you?...be nice to hear how she likes that ski as well.

Love the cool hull techno design on the Watea 98..you'll have to give us a review and how that technology performs.

Can't wait to see you on those boards in Steamboat!

G

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 11:02:36 am »
Gary, they should arrive before we go to Snowshoe so we will demo and report.  Scott encouraged me to go shorter for Gloria which I think is the right thing for her.  They should be easier to turn which will help her confidence.  She will be surprised  ;D which is fun.

Scott (dawgcatching) was out on the 98 yesterday and said it was really a great ski.  I am having them do a complete ski prep for $35, which is worth it to me since I really don't trust my local shops.  That will ensure that the bases are completely flat.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 11:05:16 am »
shorter length (thumbsup) yeah, I was thinking a head-high ski for her might be a bit much. She's like a 6-7?   

EDIT:  lenghts are kinda in between for her. I coudl see going either way depending on skill level.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:23:45 am by Ron »

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 11:09:52 am »
Yea, she is 6.7  ::) or somewhere in that neighborhood.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 11:11:12 am »
level, what level skier is she? (no just groomers but all mountain conditions)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 11:24:15 am »
I know what you meant but was trying to be funny.  I just looked up the levels, when she is confident she is a 6.  She skis black groomed runs but doesn't like the steeper ones.  She is game to go off piste and ski blue bumps but if I try to get her to go on stuff where she isn't confident she starts to think too much, then she loses her mojo and she becomes very deliberate.  She is a good athlete and a great dancer.  If I can get Gary to use dance terminology and analogies to help her ski, I really believe she can ski as well as Alice eventually; which is saying a lot.  I think Alice skis great.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 11:30:34 am »
OK, yeah then the shorter length is the way to go for sure. 

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:27 am »
just fyi - One of the skis I looked at was the Kastle 94,  but it seemed a tweener for me personally.  The 178 seemed short and the 188 would be as tall as me and from what I have heard about the Kastles skis ( I know this one is softer and dialed down ) it just felt like the Watea at 186 was a better fit.  They are all good.  I know that Scott feels the Watea is a great soft snow ski - I hope I get to find out just how good for me!!!

I almost pulled the trigger on the Ullr's Chariot but the guy that I tried to arrange a demo with was not very knowledgeable.  He had not heard of the Head SS Magnum !?  He was all over the map.  Scott was great.  I almost posted my back and forth with him.  His take seemed spot on for me.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 12:09:45 pm »
Hey Perry...I was just discussing the KOA with a lady friend...the 150 is just under 5 foot and the 159 is about 5'2". Your dancing sweetheart will probably find the 150 quicker and more playful indeed. Looks like a very verstile ski one which will have her waltzing through the crud, tangoing down the bumps, and cha cha in the powder.  ;D

What binding was Dawg skiing on the 98?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 12:25:43 pm »
hmm, how will she do skiing?   Ski it dammit!  ;D