Author Topic: 4-5 in Tahoe...  (Read 492 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: 4-5 in Tahoe...
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 08:27:36 am »
I was concerned about that overlap with my 88's as well... Hmm, are you thinking of going to a 105ish more rockered tip?

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 10:01:22 am »
Phil, what length are your MX 98's?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 11:35:52 am »
178, mounted w/ griffs- 306 i think.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 02:05:12 pm »
Damn, Phil is a good fisherman!

Makes one cast, gets a nibble.

Does he get a bite?

Can Phil land the catch?

Stay tuned folks!

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 05:36:06 pm »
I would buy them if they were the next length up. 178 is just too short as a powder ski for me (which is what this would be).

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 07:23:07 pm »
These conditions were counted among our many blessings this holiday.

Great snow, great friends and too much turkey.........S'all good!
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 05:55:20 am »
I would buy them if they were the next length up. 178 is just too short as a powder ski for me (which is what this would be).

No, its the perfect length for anyone south of 6'. The running lenght is much longer than you think and there is very little rise/run. Its actaully a perfect ski for you.  keep in mind my mx98's in a 174 have a longer running lenght than 179 pilgrims and even 178 legends.... 

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 07:02:25 am »

Nice skiing Trish and a great way to spend T'day!

I've been waiting for you and Phil to be on skis prior to asking this question. Is breathing while skiing at altitude much less demanding now that you have lived at altitude for an extended period? As someone who lives at sea-level, altitude on western trips is a PITA as ya just have to live with much less oxygen for a week. Perhaps you need to come back to Stowe to really appreciate the difference.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 07:20:25 am »
Mike, if atlitude really affects you, you should reallly look into Diamox. Just tell your dr. you are traveling to high altitude. No biggie, it works very well. I know both Gary and I have had great success with it.

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 07:23:24 am »

Nice skiing Trish and a great way to spend T'day!

I've been waiting for you and Phil to be on skis prior to asking this question. Is breathing while skiing at altitude much less demanding now that you have lived at altitude for an extended period? As someone who lives at sea-level, altitude on western trips is a PITA as ya just have to live with much less oxygen for a week. Perhaps you need to come back to Stowe to really appreciate the difference.
First and foremost, breathing while skiing at Tahoe is much easier than at A-basin, but still it took some time for me to get used to it when I first got out here, hiking, biking and the usual stuff.
Still, I am not as "out of breath" as I was when I got here, and I'm mosdef not as out of breath as I have been when I ski A-basin, Aspen, or Vail. ?Tahoe is a much easier elevation to adapt to.

If altitude is a problem for you, there are some great products out there that make a huge difference, both natural remedies and medical options.  I hear that the best thing known to be a cure for altitude sickness is ****(seriously) because it increases the oxygen in the blood flow.
But if you use that, and fall, you may have a whole new set of problems. :)
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 08:39:35 am »

I hear that the best thing known to be a cure for altitude sickness is ****(seriously) because it increases the oxygen in the blood flow.

Answer of the Year!!! ;D

I can visualize the conversation with my wife when packing **** for a ski trip!! I'd be wearing one of her tennis rackets over my head - broken string hanging from my ears.

I don't have issues other than those typically encountered in the transition, but, I remember being very tired by the end of the Jackson Hole week last year. I've got a pic someplace of Phil on the last afternoon and he was one tired puppy too. I had not thought of trying a breathing supplement , but, why not?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 08:44:39 am »
Mike, if atlitude really affects you, you should reallly look into Diamox. Just tell your dr. you are traveling to high altitude. No biggie, it works very well. I know both Gary and I have had great success with it.

Mike
Diamox is an older diuretic which has the side effect of changing your pH balance. While helpful, it isn't a magic cure for suddenly exercising at altitude.
I don't think ir does anything to change the "out of breath" feeling. One just can't manufacture more red blood cells that fast
to capture more oxygen molecules. Those who live at altitude have higher levels of blood cells than us sea level lubbers.

Taken 2-3 days prior to being at altitude and needed only for about 2-3 days after you are there, it helps prevent Mountain Sickness.
You still need to do the the ususal hydrate, hydrate, hydrate to prevent headaches.

Diamox makes ANY carbonated beverage taste BAD! I have learned to time taking it so I have my daily beer right before the next dose is due!
It also can give you strange tingling in your lips and fingers. Expected side effects only.

The biggest improvement I have had at altitude is because of being more aerobically fit. You have done your homework on that this year. I am betting
you notice a difference.
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 08:55:06 am »

If altitude is a problem for you, there are some great products out there that make a huge difference, both natural remedies and medical options.? I hear that the best thing known to be a cure for altitude sickness is ****(seriously) because it increases the oxygen in the blood flow.

Trish
NICE PIC!
And love the outfit. You look great.

****! Yes, heard the same at HH camp last year! A participant and buddy, neonatal ICU nurse practitioner and pediatric cardiologist were talking abut off label **** uses. They use it in preterm babies! Said it is a wonder drug  for some babies. No puns intended.

And just think about all the skiers trying to ski tall! Just give them a pill and they are skiing more erect as soon as they get warmed up!

On a more serious note, anyone considering taking it for altitude issues should make real sure they have no underlying cardiac/health issues.
"Play it Sam"

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 10:46:16 am »
My home in MT is at 8900 feet. We really notice big difference staying there from where we live at 300 feet above sea level. My biggest issue is with sleep and it takes a week or so for that to get dialed in. I take atavan, which takes the edge off and helps me slleep in that first week. I agree with Lynn, aerobic conditioning makes all the difference. If I can sleep I feel fine all day. I do huff when I have to walk uphill but luckily that's why we have lifts!! I really don't think there is a substitute for a good amount of cycling in the off season, and if you can even during the season. I try to combine this with solid ski oriented strength training, with some heavy plyometric focus.

I do think if you are getting clobbered by altitude sickness, diamox is good and possibly necessary. Don't know about ****, maybe it works as well.

At 8900 feet I have to pound the water hard the first two days and I never leave the house in the morning without drinking a liter of water before skiing. I have no shot of holding up if I drink any less.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 12:32:32 pm »
Hey Mike...breathing at altiude is not optional...and make sure you breath when turning to the right and to exhale with turning to the left.

When going straight, make sure you hold your breath and only stop when you need to breath.

As far as Diamox, it works for me in smaller doses and I'd never go above 8000 feet without it. It eliminates headaches and allows me to breath easier so I can sleep.

My 2 daughters moved from 300 feet to 6000 feet in Boulder. I think it took them 6-12 months to acclimate for running and hiking.

Viagara for altitude...Hmmm...a Lynn....is THAT what you prescribe for Jim????? >:D

That could be a whole lot of trouble for guys apres' skiing or getting in or out of the hot tub.

Lynn...you prankster you!!!? ::)

G
ps ...Trish...the conditions look so sweet...glad you're making the best of it!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:34:21 pm by Gary »