Author Topic: Standing tall  (Read 1079 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Standing tall
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:53:45 am »
Hey Chris...it was probably the biggest modification I've ever done to a pair of boots...actually my boot fitter here did the work. What he did was add an 8mm plastic lift screwed and glued under the toe piece and a 3mm plastic plate under the heel for an over all lift or upright of 5mm. Then he ground the toe and heel lugs so they would fit in the bindings. He had me stand in my boots and put shims under the toe until I felt a position that felt centered and stacked. Took a while to accomplish this but this was major surgery.

The result was a fantastic improvement where? I could really start to feel more centered and stacked when in my skis...like my center mass was right over my arches. Then in Portillo this September, I played with one more element, RAMP ANGLE.....I had the heel of the zeppa board (boot board) ground down 2mm and I immediately felt my ankles open up and I was able to feel tall, no pressure on the quads and the most centered between the tongue and rear cuff of the boot. My best guess estimate is that I'm in that 11 degree range.

Depending on your height and physical structure, maybe starting with the ramp angle would get you in a better stance. That's the least expensive way to start the process. Be very precise if you decided to go this way. Also, a quick experiment while in your boots,  place one or two magazines under the toe of each boot while your in a good ski stance and just see how it feels.

I believe the risk has been worth the results. IMO, being stacked and centered truly improves my ability in the bumps, crud and powder. I can really FEEL and more easily USE the entire length of the ski.

Hope this helps you Chris,
Gary
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:05:55 am by Gary »