Author Topic: Rum&Sun - ski advice after not purchasing in forever  (Read 637 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Rum&Sun - ski advice after not purchasing in forever
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 08:15:23 am »
Fred....over the past couple of years I've been watching videos of people skiing big lines in powder, trees, drops....great stuff and I noticed then that whatever they were skiing had lots of absorption. I learned later that they were on this new thing called Rockers..What I gleamed watching them ski was that absorption meant easier on the body, shovel staying above the snow with less concern about what it's hitting or going over and calm and easy look to skiing them.

So...knowing that my 78 width underfoot Kastles can handle all up to boot high (and then some) very relaxed and easy to ski, I wanted something for the off piste, pow days, tree skiing...So after some brain racking, I purchased the Armada JJ's and started to learn where and how Rockers excel.? Let me say I'm still learning about the ski...example....sk iing it traditionally with weight moving from the shovel to the tip....not so good. It's really designed to ski from a tall centered stance but it really excels here. To carve, drift, float, pivot in the tight trees from the center of that ski,.....truly amazing. I also recently read that the rockered tails of this ski can actually be used like air brakes or in this case snow brakes. By applying heel pressure and sinking the tails into the pow, the skis will slow right down. Having not tried this yet, it's nice to know I can use the tails as another ski tool.
I'm only telling my story cause IMO, the rocker ski in backcountry skiing, trees, drops, where you slash, carve, drift pivot...all these things....make it a delight and so much easier. I find myself less tired and truly don't worry about what my tips are hitting...they just have climb action traction...up and over they? go and the skis absorb all sorts of terrain.

If you're looking for a good side or backcountry ski, be sure to at least try a rockered one.

Best, Gary
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:39:18 am by Gary »