Author Topic: When will you be on the snow?  (Read 385 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
When will you be on the snow?
« on: October 21, 2010, 01:35:12 pm »
Hey gang...I can see by the weather map it looks like the Rockies and Wasatch will be getting snow mid-week next week. Heck even here in the east has snow forecasted for end of the week.

So when are you all thinking your booted up footsies will touch the snow?

For sure for me Dec 2-9th in Park City or which ever of the surrounding mountains has the better snow.

Maybe a quick trip from an invite to Banff in late November...this would be nice as I've never been and they like Whistler get early snow.

How about you?

G

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: When will you be on the snow?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 01:52:09 pm »
Dec. 8-13th.? Long weekend in Colorado.
Jan. 6-9th.? Demo day at Elk.? Will ski a couple of days, certainly not all 4 at a small mountain.
Jan. 21-30th. Colorado again, mostly Vail.
March 2-13th.? Colorado, various resorts.
Local days in between.

We have Vail resort Epic passes, so all flying trips are to Colorado this year.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:45:44 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 01:56:00 pm »
December 9th is the official kick off date of yours truly with the estimable Mr Ratliff lagging slightly behind.
Uh Oh! The gauntlet just got thrown down.

Now Jim will be racing me out the door of the condo in Dillon, as we head to use our Epic pass at whichever of the participating mountains has the best forecast!

But who knows? Maybe a quick day trip to the venerable Catskills for a WROD experience over the Thanskgiving weekend?

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 02:25:07 pm »
It's not that I "lag" behind because I can't keep up, it's just that I prefer the view from there.? ? :o? :-*

B'sides, anytime I am supposed to be leading it's only 300 yards before you go somewhere else anyway.?? ?;D

By the way, I believe you meant to say "inestimable" and not "estimable"?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:26:44 pm by jim-ratliff »

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 03:26:19 pm »
Loveland opens Saturday. It's not posted yet on the website but I was told by an insider. Very Nice. I will be there 11/6-8 and that will be my kickoff. I am hoping for some earlyTahoe snow which usually means early december. After that,  2 weeks over the holidays in MT and then we are off, officially in mid winter conditions everywhere!!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 03:40:55 pm »
So three weeks until we get a multi-person review of the Ullr's Chariots and the Howitzer??   8)
Post what Diana thinks of the 178 UC if you would?

Loveland opens Saturday. It's not posted yet on the website but I was told by an insider. Very Nice. I will be there 11/6-8 and that will be my kickoff. I am hoping for some earlyTahoe snow which usually means early december. After that,? 2 weeks over the holidays in MT and then we are off, officially in mid winter conditions everywhere!!

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 04:04:01 pm »
I'm not sure I will be skiing with Diana. I will be with Harald for sure and I will have him on all the Ski Logic skis that I grab for a demo. Be forewarned that Harald skis/shreds bottomless powder on IM 78's and those are his prefrerred tool in fresh snow. He typically is not a big fan of wide boards and since he can shred on 78 waisted skis all he notices are the things he can't do on wide boards instead of the things that he can (and maybe couldn't like you or I on a skinnier board).

We will see and I will post comments from everyone that will be on them includingThor Kallerud who knows a little about skis and skiing (and BTW another that rarely skis anything wider than 75mm underfoot).

Again the very painful reality is that great skiers ski great on anything, all the time in all conditions. Maybe some day!!

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 05:33:54 pm »
I'll be at Loveland on Nov 6-7.  Am getting new boots and on-snow alignment from Chris B. on the 6th.  Then Killington or Loveland as conditions dictate each weekend until the A-basin camp on Dec 13.  Back out to Loveland for 3 privates with Diana in February.  And Hintertux camp in early April, my first chance to ski in Europe!

Jbotti,  if you see a short, square, overweight fella on Supershapes trying to remember how to ski, that's probably me.  I'd like to meet you to thank you for your contributions on the other forum and to put a face to the name.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 07:07:47 pm »
John:? Faulty thinking on my part. I assumed that you were skiing with both Harald and Diana and was thinkiing that she might be more likely to demo the shorter version of the UC, knowing that you were demoing the 188.? Not well thought out in the busy-ness of the afternoon.

Todd: When are you going out for camp?? Lynn and I will be there the weekend before, flying back on Monday.

John: And if y'all are able to evaluate the bottomless powder capabilities of the UC's in your November demo then I will REALLY be jealous.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:10:30 pm by jim-ratliff »

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 08:22:28 pm »
Jim,

I haven't firmed up my travel plans yet.? I hope to be there for the weekend to altitude adjust a bit.? I'm waiting a bit to see what work will do to that plan (some extra responsibilities were just dumped in my lap, no doubt to punish me for skiing 58 days last season :-)  If I'm there both days, I'd love to ski with you and Lynn for at least a half day and more if I'm already up to speed for the season.  (Gotta get my cb/fa dialed back in before camp.)  I've got the A-basin bonus pass (5 days at breck/keystone) and a Loveland pass, so any of those 4 are good for me and 3 of them are on your epic pass.   Start doing your snow dance to avoid last December's conditions!

Todd

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 08:57:05 pm »
Jim,

I haven't firmed up my travel plans yet.? I hope to be there for the weekend to altitude adjust a bit.? ?Start doing your snow dance to avoid last December's conditions!

Todd

I believe its called the Snowatella!

(courtesy Gary, aka beware the yellow stain man)
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 08:58:24 pm »
It's not that I "lag" behind because I can't keep up, it's just that I prefer the view from there.? ? :o? :-*

B'sides, anytime I am supposed to be leading it's only 300 yards before you go somewhere else anyway.?? ?;D

By the way, I believe you meant to say "inestimable" and not "estimable"?

Sorry, I stick by my estimable. As in esteemed. I CAN count your worth. You are not beyond that.....yet. ;)
"Play it Sam"

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 09:52:09 pm »
Toddw, I will PM you my cell number. You should definitely ski a few runs with us. If you are in the shop on the mroning of 11/6 we will be there as well. I have canting work on new boots to get done and so does everyone in my group. It may be a while before we hit snow that day. I look forward to meeting you and skiing with you!

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 07:38:33 am »
My plans are much more plebeian, a word to chosen to honor Lynn's word-smithing acumen.

Early season will be quick 2 day visits to wherever descent snow lies in Vt. or NY. I'll ski the White Ribbons of Death just to get some basic technique going. So, Todd - Let me know where you will be in the north-east on weekends.

No firm western plans.

Jim/Lynn - It's great to see the Elk demo day is firm on your list. I have skied Elk for 4 straight days, so you really know how to hurt a guy. ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 07:51:06 am »
My plans are much more plebeian, a word to chosen to honor Lynn's word-smithing acumen.

I am sure that will bring a huge smile to her face.? Always pleases her to be able to use a single succinct word instead of a multi-word phrase with the same meaning.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 08:13:04 am »
OK Lynn...and I thought Jim was behind because he was shelping your skis....

But now that he splained why....the little devil  >:D

Here's hoping Loveland gets some great snow.......start dancing the Snowatella......hey ...it can't hurt!

Nice ToddW....going to the boots.....you a smart man for sure...that's where all the dancing begins! As far as altitude....if early acclimating does not work, have your dr. prescribe some Diamox....that stuff is magic. Depending your altitude threshold for sleeping....a small dose get's rid of headaches, amazing!

JB..I was thinking about what you said about HH and 78 underfoot....I'm sure his weight helps...I weigh in at 158lbs and ski my 78's up to shin high snow and love them. Above that for  me, being mere mortal, the wider boards just require less attention.

Sounds like all are getting pretty pumped up for the season...hoping the snowgods pour it on!

Best, g

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 09:30:11 am »
Gary, I am sure weight helps Harald some but even if he weighed 220 lbs with his form he could still ski anything on slalom skis. Tommy Moe who weighs well over 200 lbs skis the whole mountain in deep snow on Dynastar Contact 4X4's which are 75mm under foot. He does also have some big wide fat boys but he obviously doesn't need them.

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 11:53:49 am »
So, Todd - Let me know where you will be in the north-east on weekends.

Will do.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 12:02:35 pm »
Yup hear that JB.....

Did I mention we mere mortals.. ? ? ::)

A few years back on head monster 77's I was skiing knee high snow at Snowmass.....a great amount of fun it was in the fluffy blower snow. In all honesty, it helped moving the binding placement from center to the rear setting....However if that were Sierra Cement, I gotta believe Mr. Moe would "choose" to ski something a wee bit wider; for sure, this lowly mortal would!

I think today since I have the option of going from 78 to 115 underfoot...it's probably the moisture content of the snow that's going to be the deciding factor rather than it's depth.

Now....let's us hope we get a chance at 24" of light and fluffy many times this season!

G

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 12:08:15 pm »
Toddw, I will PM you my cell number. You should definitely ski a few runs with us. If you are in the shop on the mroning of 11/6 we will be there as well. I have canting work on new boots to get done and so does everyone in my group. It may be a while before we hit snow that day. I look forward to meeting you and skiing with you!

PM'd my contact info in return

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 01:00:34 pm »
By the way, since we have such a small group I enabled the Calendar in the forum software.? Feel free to click on the Calendar button, then click on the underlined number in the calendar and post your trip dates/information if you wish.? Select the first date in the Calendar, then the appointment itself will allow you to enter duration.

At least I hope that's what it allows.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 01:12:01 pm by jim-ratliff »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 01:56:38 pm »

Now....let's us hope we get a chance at 24" of light and fluffy many times this season!

G

Hear, hear

A noble problem that I wish to experience many times in the company of my Real Skiers friends! Here's to pow skiers and those like us.

Hmmm, my 88's will work very well in those conditions!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 04:20:32 pm »
Amen Mike....and yes...your 88's will be a blast for sure in that gift!..

Now all...start the dance!

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 08:14:16 am »

They are making snow at Elk, plus Bradford PA had 2" of snow overnight.  I'd be surprised if Gary didn't get some in his area.

And this time next week I'll we'll be on skis (or at least in ticket lines).

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 09:20:50 am »
Hey Jim, we had a couple of inches and I expect our local resort to open in the next 10 days or sooner.
They are expecting 1.5 feet of snow south of Buffalo which means Holiday Valley may get slamed.

I'm sure it will be that nice heavy wet snow...so if I wasn't leaving for Park City, UT shortly....I"D GO to Holiday Valley.

Looking forwad to getting back on the snow. I'll have a chance to get on Ron's MX98 and 88's. Should be fun

Keep us posted on your Chariot experience as soon as they touch down.

Best, g

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 04:14:29 pm »
4 days in so far. Catch up people.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 04:57:22 pm »
Stop rubbing the salt in! :'(
"Play it Sam"

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 05:17:26 pm »
8 days in

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 06:16:04 pm »
Oh, the pain, the pain!
Huge grains of kosher salt!
"Play it Sam"

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 06:27:23 pm »
8 Days is impressive. I have 3 so far. Will get in 1-2 more over the next two weeks as things are good in Tahoe. Then I get 15 straight in MT starting on 12/19!! Who says it's not a race!!

BTW, I have Phil and Snowhot penciled in for 80 days this year. I have Ron and Gary penciled in for 40-50.

How close will I be?

I should get over 50 in this year, maybe even in the 60's (which would be a first).

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 07:03:49 pm »
Jbotti -- Enjoy your 15 days in Montana!

As eastern ski days are lesser than MT powder days,? I'll make up by getting 19 days in between now and New Years weekend (blue/dk blue camp at A-basin + K-mart after Christmas and this weekend) for a season total of 27? by 3. January ;D 

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 07:28:17 pm »
You sir, are a cruel, cruel man :'( :( :'(

;D
"Play it Sam"

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 09:14:30 pm »
"You sir, are a cruel, cruel man"

Agreed!!

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 09:16:25 pm »
Hey Lynn, life is good.? You'll be on snow in a week with great condiitions and company.? Enjoy!

btw, I think I outdid you in the boot entry/exit category.? I downsized to a 95 mm last in early November and bruised my right foot up good a week later (table leg kicked my bare foot.)? When I finished getting my right boot off this Sunday, I realized that the entire k1 lodge was staring at me?in shock at the sound effects :o? Dirty minds they had, every one of them...

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 12:37:29 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 01:35:22 pm »
Hey Lynn, life is good.? You'll be on snow in a week with great condiitions and company.? Enjoy!

btw, I think I outdid you in the boot entry/exit category.? I downsized to a 95 mm last in early November and bruised my right foot up good a week later (table leg kicked my bare foot.)? When I finished getting my right boot off this Sunday, I realized that the entire k1 lodge was staring at me?in shock at the sound effects :o? Dirty minds they had, every one of them...

Kosher Salt in very warm water is great for mitigating swelling and bruising, or at least so I hear.? ?;D ;D How long did it take to find that picture?? 8) 8)

Lynn -- note that the Transitive Property applies to Todd's earlier comment about "great conditions and company" so an equivalent rendering is great conditions and great company!!? ?;D ;D ;D

Or was that the Associative Property? Or maybe the Distributive Property!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:18:53 pm by jim-ratliff »

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 11:10:31 pm »

Lynn -- note that the Transitive Property applies to Todd's earlier comment about "great conditions and company" so an equivalent rendering is great conditions and great company!!? ?;D ;D ;D

Each of you may read that passage as s/he chooses? ;)? Jim may consider himself simply "company", but Lynn knows she'll be skiing side by side with the great Elvira ... one stylin' pair ;D

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 11:30:34 pm »
8 Days is impressive. I have 3 so far. Will get in 1-2 more over the next two weeks as things are good in Tahoe. Then I get 15 straight in MT starting on 12/19!! Who says it's not a race!!

BTW, I have Phil and Snowhot penciled in for 80 days this year. I have Ron and Gary penciled in for 40-50.

How close will I be?

I should get over 50 in this year, maybe even in the 60's (which would be a first).

I'm hoping you're close :)
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 04:42:15 pm »
Todd,
Did I read that correctly - 27 days by January?  DUDE!!!!!!!!!

Good on ya  ;D

With that much snow time and a camp to boot, you should be making a jump up in your skiing.

Y'all have fun, I am still trying to plan my first venture for the season  :-\

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 04:44:19 pm »
Todd,
thought I should ask if IBM is hiring right now ;D

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 10:08:52 am »
In fact, they are hiring.  If I don't watch out they might advertise my job too  :o