Author Topic: New "east coast" skis for Lynn  (Read 1565 times)

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
Re: New "east coast" skis for Lynn
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:49 pm »
Someone here probably knows the answer to this. Is the MX 88 back unchanged or did they add early rise/slight rocker to the tip on this years ski? Thanks.
Unchanged.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 07:57:04 am »
If you want the Kasltes, I will discount a ski that doesn't get discounted. Here is $20.00 of free advice. LX72 or LX82. [/end thread]

Satan is chasing me in all forms this week.? >:D
Fortunately, my daughter spirited my credit card with her to Prague (by accident)
and I cancelled it. Awaiting the replacement. Temptation to pile on the debt
delayed. ;)

Damn Phil, you're a GREAT salesman.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:59:05 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 08:25:50 am »
Phil, you want to give us some reasons why you like the LX series so much?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 08:51:58 am »
Phil steps into the tee-box, carefully places the ball on the tee, steps back and looks at the fairway ahead of him, reaches down and tears off a few blades of grass and tosses them into the air.  He intentfully watches as they catch the wind...... ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 08:56:47 am »
Phil, you want to give us some reasons why you like the LX series so much?

Well, Alex, I'll take "LX Ski characteristics for $40 please".? ;D

But I also have a real comment.? Lynn's current skis are a 72 waist and she was thinking she wanted to be in the 66-68 range.
Narrower would be better for tipping and edging drills and hard snow carving, wider would be better for east coast off-piste.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:02:29 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 09:12:56 am »
While I haven't skied the 72, here is my review of the 82. I expect no different.

http://www.epicski.com/products/2011-k-stle-lx82
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:28:37 am by Philpug »

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 09:23:07 am »
Here is Scotts (Dawgcatching) review of the LX 82. I am still looking for Phils wihich I assume is up on Epic. Phil you forgot the link in your post. 

Kastle LX82 176cm: the new line from kastle: still a titanium laminate ski, but with tapered sidewalls and a bit more forgiving feel.  The target customer of this ski is a little lower speed and performance, but still looking for a top-performing ski.  Review: skis like an MX series, but softer, not quite as much stability, not quite as powerful. Very smooth, easy to ski at lower speeds, and stable up to reasonable 30mph or so speeds too.  Very smooth; you just glide over the snow, and it is incredibly damp as well.  You can open up this ski and rip on it, provided you aren?t skiing 50mph. Very responsive, just not quite as aggressive laterally.  It fits into a range such as the Elan Magfire 78ti, K2 Recon, Salomon X-wing Tornado: good skis, but not the expert, top-end ski.  I know a lot of people won?t allow their egos to ski a ?non top-end? ski such as this, but it is a very, very good ski, especially if you aren?t ripping up big arcs all day.   Super responsive, more snap due to the lighter weight: this is going to be a winner. It was also the favorite ski tested of one of our other testers, who would describe himself as a ?terminal high-intermediate/cautious advanced skier?.  He thought it had ?very good grip on the harder snow, and very smooth. Also extremely easy to ski. Best ski I tested, no surprise it was also the most expensive?.  I would concur that this ski will make a lot of skiers happy.   

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 09:36:48 am »
While I haven't skied the 72, here is my review of the 82. I expect no different.

http://www.epicski.com/products/2011-k-stle-lx82

Phil, I did find your review over on epci and that description (and Dawgcatching's) of the ski is a good fit for Lynn as a skier, I think.
Assuming, of course, that a review of an LX82 is a valid indicator of the LX72.
The RX70 may fit her desires as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:50:54 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 09:46:11 am »
I have not skied them. They sound like wonderful skis but I don't think they are what I am looking for. The FX 84's were wonderful skis for what they are designed for but I could definitley overpower them on hard snow. My fear with these would be that I would enjoy them but feel like something was lacking when I pushed to their limit on groomed terrain.

The other thing that I pay alot of attention to is turn Radius. In a 50/50 or any ski where I will use it 50% or more time on groomed terrain, I am looking for ski with a tighter TR. This is one of the reasons that the Head IM 78 is such a great ski. It is stiff enough to hold up well in crud but soft enough to bend the tips and most importantly in the 177 length the TR is 15.5 (that's from memory). I am blessed with my current situation in MT where my home is on the slope. It's almsot like havimg a ski caddie. I can ski 10 different skis in one day, and sometimes do.

I still would love to try most in the Kastle line. Looking forwrad to it.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 10:07:47 am »
JB, that is because we are talking about a ski for Lynn, not you. I will say this is a better ski than the FX84 for its intended purpose.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 10:34:22 am »
yeah, the FX line is not intended to be a dedicated groomer ski. It doesn't have the "race" genes the MX series or the RX series have. It's much more for BC or mountaineering skiing.  This was one reason why I still scratch my head at the ratings on that ski and even the new 94. I didn't ski the 94 but to say its a better ski than the 88 is kind of a misnomer.  Better how? at what? I am sticking to the MX88 as my daily driver based on it's performance on and off-piste and the full spectrum of snow conditions.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 10:38:37 am »
yeah, the FX line is not intended to be a dedicated groomer ski. It doesn't have the "race" genes the MX series or the RX series have. It's much more for BC or mountaineering skiing.? This was one reason why I still scratch my head at the ratings on that ski and even the new 94. I didn't ski the 94 but to say its a better ski than the 88 is kind of a misnomer.? Better how? at what? I am sticking to the MX88 as my daily driver based on it's performance on and off-piste and the full spectrum of snow conditions.

I still like the FX series even as a frontside ski but for a specific skier but the new LX's took much of that away. The LX is a ski that is greater than the sum of its parts. My son Tyler who skis faster than me, it is his favorite ski too.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 10:56:18 am »
In another thread, I buried a recommendation for Lynn to look at the Kastle RX70. Major $$$, but, as Ron and I ski demo's that Phil found last year, perhaps he could come up with a short length later in the season.

http://www.kaestle-ski.com/en/product-line/hardgoods/ski-overview/kaestle-rx/#/ski_lengths

I followed, let's say tried to follow, Phil down a bump run at Elk under the twin double , while he was on this ski. He turned them like an olympic bump pro. I also demo'd it that day on the hard Elk snow and just loved it in my typical short radius turns. 70 waist, but, it turns sharper. When I give up the Supershape, this is the ski I want to be on. Greg Merz has a pair but didn't get to ski them much following an injury. Not sure if a woman specific ski is available.

Phill on a Supershape???? I'm still laughing. If he had a choice of skiing a Supershape as his daily driver or moving to moving to Miami, then his recreational bucks would be spent on suntan lotion and Spanish as a second language class. As well as he skied the RX 70, he just shook his head and said not for me. I also have a Blizzard SL that he practically gave away.

But, I'd take my SS's down Tunkahannuk, which is left to bump up, at Elk any day. What I won't do is take my body down major league screwed up bump runs like Bear Mountain at Killington.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 10:59:11 am »
I'm pretty sure that the MX series is made for me. The question would be the 88 vs the 78. I would love to try them both. I agree onthe FX. Wonderful backcountry ski but not really in the running vs more powerful skis for resort skiing.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 11:35:02 am »
In another thread, I buried a recommendation for Lynn to look at the Kastle RX70. Major $$$, but, as Ron and I ski demo's that Phil found last year, perhaps he could come up with a short length later in the season.

http://www.kaestle-ski.com/en/product-line/hardgoods/ski-overview/kaestle-rx/#/ski_lengths

I followed, let's say tried to follow, Phil down a bump run at Elk under the twin double , while he was on this ski. He turned them like an olympic bump pro. I also demo'd it that day on the hard Elk snow and just loved it in my typical short radius turns. 70 waist, but, it turns sharper. When I give up the Supershape, this is the ski I want to be on. Greg Merz has a pair but didn't get to ski them much following an injury. Not sure if a woman specific ski is available.

Phill on a Supershape???? I'm still laughing. If he had a choice of skiing a Supershape as his daily driver or moving to moving to Miami, then his recreational bucks would be spent on suntan lotion and Spanish as a second language class. As well as he skied the RX 70, he just shook his head and said not for me. I also have a Blizzard SL that he practically gave away.

But, I'd take my SS's down Tunkahannuk, which is left to bump up, at Elk any day. What I won't do is take my body down major league screwed up bump runs like Bear Mountain at Killington.
Mike,

Not an RX70 fo, but an MX70! That would be a great choice. I think I know of a pair demos of in a 160 w/KT12 (not KTi) flat mount bindings. I know the 160 is a tad longer 1.9" or so than the 155 but it will be a very good price.