Author Topic: New "east coast" skis for Lynn  (Read 1577 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
New "east coast" skis for Lynn
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:06:14 am »
As Lynn mentioned in another post, she's keeping her eyes open for past years skis to replace her Every Thangs (72mm waist) with something less than 70mm.
The following are thoughts that I think describe her skiing.

1. At Harb camps she is typically assessed/selected for one of the upper groups, so she has pretty solid skills. At the same time, she is continually encouraged to ski faster and not be so deliberate in her turns.
2. A typical day at Sugarbush will include some time spent working on drills on the groomed snow, but will also include a couple of runs down CastleRock or MiddleEarth, deservedly black bump runs (with interspersed rocks and blue ice).? At some point during the day, she will be drawn magnetically into the trees as well.? Another 10% of her day will be spent in agony, trying to stretch the cramps in the arches of her feet.   :'( :-* >:D
3. The Every Thang is pretty versatile and works pretty well for her, but is a little bit stiff in the trees.? The only complaint with her older iC160 was that she had gotten fast enough that the tip often chattered.
4. So she's not looking for a high speed, hard snow carver.? She's looking for a narrow waisted ski with lots of versatility that will facilitate doing drills but be solid enough for those rare times when she decides to fly.
5. Her ski lengths are typically in the mid 150's.

Solicitating suggestions.? OHHH - and deals are mandatory - She put up with those old boots forever waiting for a deal on the selected new boot.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:22:41 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: New "east coast" skis for Lynn
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 08:11:48 am »
My suggestion for her is the Head Perfect One. More suitable, I think, than the PowerOne which is a SuperShape clone.?

Less demanding than the Power One and recommended for skill improvement, along with groomer cruising, even at fairly high speed. Is it actually "perfect?" Probably not, but it's close for the right kind of skier.

115/67/99 (12m) in a 158
clean carve: 4
smooth soft edge: 4
accurate: 4
stability: 5
rebound: 4
quickness: 4
lightness: 5
relaxing: 4
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:23:44 am by jim-ratliff »

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 08:42:44 am »
I would get the original SS's. My wife is an advanced intermediate skier. She has solid skills and good technique and she can occasionally edge lock carve some turns. Usually there is a slight brush in each turn. On groomed terrain she is a solid skiier. I got her a pair of the SS's (pre KERS) and she absolutley loves them. Her skiing quickly went to a new level with them. I really don't think you can beat them for a hard snow carving ski that will give the proper feedback for improviing ones skills and technique. There is a pair on Ebay in a 160 for $488. Not great but as good as I have seen. My wife is 5 6" and 120 lbs. and she is skiing the 160's.

You wnat to make sure with whatever carving ski that you get that it is sandwich construction. It makes all the dfference in feel and feedback. Not all the female versions of Head skis are Sandwich.

The other ski that I now from Peters revies (jave never skied them) and often there are pretty good deal on them are the Dynastar Contact Groove. This is Dynastars version of the Head SS. It looks like an excellent ski.

I will also tell you that after going to more GS oriented TR skis the past couple of seasons, I had a real eye opener getting on the new Head SS's. The tight TR gives feedback so qiuick that is unavaialble on wider TR skis. My skiing soared from the feedback. I would definitely get a tight TR skis like the SS or the Contact Groove. I wrote about this in detail on the PMTS forum. The link is below if you care.
http://pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2859

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 04:05:26 pm »
a Head SS is one of the last skis I would want to take down Castlerock in ANY conditions. I have some suggesting but you aren't going to like (or listen to) them :P, they don't start with an H (actually one does) or end in a D and have an "eh" in the middle. I guess my opinion isn't valid because I don't charge..soooo.to make my opinion worthy and to make you feel better, send me $20.00 and I would be glad to offer 'Phil's Picks"  ;D ;D ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:14:01 pm »
a Head SS is one of the last skis I would want to take down Castlerock in ANY conditions. I have some suggesting but you aren't going to like (or listen to) them :P, they don't start with an H (actually one does) or end in a D and have an "eh" in the middle. I guess my opinion isn't valid because I don't charge..soooo.to make my opinion worthy and to make you feel better, send me $20.00 and I would be glad to offer 'Phil's Picks" ;D ;D ;D
How about we negotiate.? My most recent (SkiLogik) skis didn't start with an H or end with a D (and currently we both have one pair Fischer and 1 pair Head).
I'm willing to let you add $5 to my PowerRail bindings order to hear your recommendations/picks??
And I would be willing to listen if you wanted to include sound, otherwise you'll have to be content knowing that I "visually listened".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:01:49 pm by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 04:31:05 pm »
i vote for these two last posts as hall of shame posts of all time!  too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trtaylor

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:33 pm »
I would have some Elan and Fischer skis on the short list. Use Peter's reviews as model selection guides.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:27:11 pm »
a Head SS is one of the last skis I would want to take down Castlerock in ANY conditions. I have some suggesting but you aren't going to like (or listen to) them :P, they don't start with an H (actually one does) or end in a D and have an "eh" in the middle. I guess my opinion isn't valid because I don't charge..soooo.to make my opinion worthy and to make you feel better, send me $20.00 and I would be glad to offer 'Phil's Picks"? ;D ;D ;D

Gee, which PP are we gonna follow? (all puns intended).

Phil, YOUR bias is showing. As Jim has already said, we both own a pair of Fischers and Heads.
Oh, and you and I have the Volant Powerkarves in common past history. Good reviews. Not great skis.

I remember Diana Rogers (HH's significant other) favoring Elan skis at my first camp with them.

So, please move on from your assumption that we are closed minded. No such thing.

However, without being able to demo skis,? like many of you do (more ski days and more trips west), we rely on reviews
from reputable sources. Of which there are few. Especially for primarily EC skiers.

So, NO $20 for you. Give it up or suck it up mister!! ;D ;) ;D

PS. I did the best going down MiddleEarth on my iC160's. Soft enough and quick enough for that run!
Not done with any particular elegance or grace though. :-[
"Play it Sam"

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 06:46:04 pm »

Oh, and you and I have the Volant Powerkarves in common past history. Good reviews. Not great skis.

I remember Diana Rogers (HH's significant other) favoring Elan skis at my first camp with them.

The PowerKarve was a revolutionary ski before its time. In "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese" scenerio, The Salomon X-scream was the second mouse to the Volant's first mouse to create the then "mid fat" segment. Volant was an innovation factory besides the obvious stainless steal topskin, they were the first in the following important areas.... FIRST GS ski with a tip over 90mm, The G-max. The FIRST Consumer friendly powderski "The Chubb, the FIRST Mid-fat, teh 73mm waisted PowerKarve and the FIRST reverse camber/reverse sidecut pure powderski, the Spatula. I started with a (then) short PowerKarve in a 193, after 2-3 years or so, I ended up skiing the same model in a 173 and enjoying it the most out of any of them. My guess is you skied your PowerKarves in a 173, (again short for the time), where if you had a 153 (never produced) you would have appreciated how far ahead of it's time that ski was.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 06:52:07 pm »
I will add one thing about the PowerKarve. It is one of two skis my ex wife said after skiing it. (regarding her then at the time favoritest skis that I was told to stay away from), "I never want to see them again" The other was when she demoed the Kastle MX78..I will say very good company.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 07:42:56 pm »
Phil,
The Kastles' would be high on my dream list.
(earlier today I told Jim "get thee behind me satan" as he egged
me on to consider new skis).
I tried to demo them at Aspen this past January. The shop never called to confirm the reservation, so kaput.
Their price is a big deterrent.

I should never have posted my desire for a new ski.
Desire and pocketbook do not align at this time.
You know the routine....car repairs, college costs , yada , yada, yada.
(oh, and the new boots which I anxiously wait to appear).

Still, fun to talk about and consider.

L.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:48:43 pm by midwif »
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:03:33 pm »
ya' just gotta have to must at least try them, try them you will see..... ::)

seriously, they ARE that good.? seriously
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:33:38 pm by midwif »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 08:14:09 pm »
The PowerKarve was a revolutionary ski before its time. In "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese" scenerio,
;D ;D WOW, that is a really badly mangled metaphor.? Well done!!? ;D ;D
Or maybe it's an allegory, but it's still badly mangled.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:32:56 pm by jim-ratliff »

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 08:48:54 pm »
Someone here probably knows the answer to this. Is the MX 88 back unchanged or did they add early rise/slight rocker to the tip on this years ski? Thanks.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:15 pm »
The PowerKarve was a revolutionary ski before its time. In "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese" scenerio,
;D ;D WOW, that is a really badly mangled metaphor.? Well done!!? ;D ;D
Or maybe it's an allegory, but it's still badly mangled.
and yet it works

If you want the Kasltes, I will discount a ski that doesn't get discounted. Here is $20.00 of free advice. LX72 or LX82. [/end thread]