Skis and Gear Discussion > Skis 4 Me -- Suggestions or Advice??

New "east coast" skis for Lynn

(1/13) > >>

jim-ratliff:
As Lynn mentioned in another post, she's keeping her eyes open for past years skis to replace her Every Thangs (72mm waist) with something less than 70mm.
The following are thoughts that I think describe her skiing.

1. At Harb camps she is typically assessed/selected for one of the upper groups, so she has pretty solid skills. At the same time, she is continually encouraged to ski faster and not be so deliberate in her turns.
2. A typical day at Sugarbush will include some time spent working on drills on the groomed snow, but will also include a couple of runs down CastleRock or MiddleEarth, deservedly black bump runs (with interspersed rocks and blue ice).? At some point during the day, she will be drawn magnetically into the trees as well.? Another 10% of her day will be spent in agony, trying to stretch the cramps in the arches of her feet.   :'( :-* >:D
3. The Every Thang is pretty versatile and works pretty well for her, but is a little bit stiff in the trees.? The only complaint with her older iC160 was that she had gotten fast enough that the tip often chattered.
4. So she's not looking for a high speed, hard snow carver.? She's looking for a narrow waisted ski with lots of versatility that will facilitate doing drills but be solid enough for those rare times when she decides to fly.
5. Her ski lengths are typically in the mid 150's.

Solicitating suggestions.? OHHH - and deals are mandatory - She put up with those old boots forever waiting for a deal on the selected new boot.

jim-ratliff:
My suggestion for her is the Head Perfect One. More suitable, I think, than the PowerOne which is a SuperShape clone.?

Less demanding than the Power One and recommended for skill improvement, along with groomer cruising, even at fairly high speed. Is it actually "perfect?" Probably not, but it's close for the right kind of skier.

115/67/99 (12m) in a 158
clean carve: 4
smooth soft edge: 4
accurate: 4
stability: 5
rebound: 4
quickness: 4
lightness: 5
relaxing: 4

jbotti:
I would get the original SS's. My wife is an advanced intermediate skier. She has solid skills and good technique and she can occasionally edge lock carve some turns. Usually there is a slight brush in each turn. On groomed terrain she is a solid skiier. I got her a pair of the SS's (pre KERS) and she absolutley loves them. Her skiing quickly went to a new level with them. I really don't think you can beat them for a hard snow carving ski that will give the proper feedback for improviing ones skills and technique. There is a pair on Ebay in a 160 for $488. Not great but as good as I have seen. My wife is 5 6" and 120 lbs. and she is skiing the 160's.

You wnat to make sure with whatever carving ski that you get that it is sandwich construction. It makes all the dfference in feel and feedback. Not all the female versions of Head skis are Sandwich.

The other ski that I now from Peters revies (jave never skied them) and often there are pretty good deal on them are the Dynastar Contact Groove. This is Dynastars version of the Head SS. It looks like an excellent ski.

I will also tell you that after going to more GS oriented TR skis the past couple of seasons, I had a real eye opener getting on the new Head SS's. The tight TR gives feedback so qiuick that is unavaialble on wider TR skis. My skiing soared from the feedback. I would definitely get a tight TR skis like the SS or the Contact Groove. I wrote about this in detail on the PMTS forum. The link is below if you care.
http://pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2859

Philpug:
a Head SS is one of the last skis I would want to take down Castlerock in ANY conditions. I have some suggesting but you aren't going to like (or listen to) them :P, they don't start with an H (actually one does) or end in a D and have an "eh" in the middle. I guess my opinion isn't valid because I don't charge..soooo.to make my opinion worthy and to make you feel better, send me $20.00 and I would be glad to offer 'Phil's Picks"  ;D ;D ;D

jim-ratliff:

--- Quote from: Philpug on September 09, 2010, 04:05:26 pm ---a Head SS is one of the last skis I would want to take down Castlerock in ANY conditions. I have some suggesting but you aren't going to like (or listen to) them :P, they don't start with an H (actually one does) or end in a D and have an "eh" in the middle. I guess my opinion isn't valid because I don't charge..soooo.to make my opinion worthy and to make you feel better, send me $20.00 and I would be glad to offer 'Phil's Picks" ;D ;D ;D

--- End quote ---
How about we negotiate.? My most recent (SkiLogik) skis didn't start with an H or end with a D (and currently we both have one pair Fischer and 1 pair Head).
I'm willing to let you add $5 to my PowerRail bindings order to hear your recommendations/picks??
And I would be willing to listen if you wanted to include sound, otherwise you'll have to be content knowing that I "visually listened".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version