Author Topic: New "east coast" skis for Lynn  (Read 1598 times)

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
Re: New "east coast" skis for Lynn
« on: September 09, 2010, 06:46:04 pm »

Oh, and you and I have the Volant Powerkarves in common past history. Good reviews. Not great skis.

I remember Diana Rogers (HH's significant other) favoring Elan skis at my first camp with them.

The PowerKarve was a revolutionary ski before its time. In "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese" scenerio, The Salomon X-scream was the second mouse to the Volant's first mouse to create the then "mid fat" segment. Volant was an innovation factory besides the obvious stainless steal topskin, they were the first in the following important areas.... FIRST GS ski with a tip over 90mm, The G-max. The FIRST Consumer friendly powderski "The Chubb, the FIRST Mid-fat, teh 73mm waisted PowerKarve and the FIRST reverse camber/reverse sidecut pure powderski, the Spatula. I started with a (then) short PowerKarve in a 193, after 2-3 years or so, I ended up skiing the same model in a 173 and enjoying it the most out of any of them. My guess is you skied your PowerKarves in a 173, (again short for the time), where if you had a 153 (never produced) you would have appreciated how far ahead of it's time that ski was.