Skis and Gear Discussion > Reviews older than Past 2 Season

Realskier Ski of the Year: The Chariot!!!

(1/10) > >>

jbotti:
Peter just posted his skis of the year. The Chariot won overall ski of the year!! I guess we should all buy them now before they run out!!

Ron:
have at it!? ?;D

I wish them much sucess and as always, I support the indies and small local business. Interesting reviews on FREESKIER mag. THey preferred the Howitzer  137-110-131

http://www.freeskier.com/buyersGuide/product.php?product_id=1278

I like those dims much better, A demo would be great just not thrilled with a 145-101 ski for variable off piste condition ski. I can see it for front side groomed or soft groomed but not sure of the "why" of the ski. Seems like a cool idea with limited range of application-- but I have been very wrong before and will be again!

LivingProof:
I have a very limited knowledge of Peter Kelty's reviews, and, am always somewhat cynical of "of the year" awards that make pronouncements in advance of distribution and real world experience.

What are some of his past "skis of the year" and your thoughts as to how his past predictions fared with the skiing public.

jbotti:
I do think that we have to consider Peter's bias here some. The last wide ski (it was certainly wide for back then) that Peter named ski of the year was the Head IM 88. Peter specifically cited the fact that this ski was at home off piste and in powder and at the same time a good skier could run a GS course on the skis. He has said something similar about the Chariot again citing it's ability to carve GS turns. It is failrly obvious from watching over the years that Peter likes skis that perform well on hard snow. His reviews of big mountain skis have lacked any real specificity (usually he just says great for Squaw, Jackson Snowbird, you know who you are). Using the IM 88 as an example because I still own a pair, it was in may ways a great ski for certain things. It will carve nice GS turns and it was a great crud busting ski. It was never wide enough for a true powder ski but in its time it wsn't far from the standard (back then 90-100mm was a podwer ski). It was however not a very versatile ski. It was very stiff, reasonably unforgiving especially in bumps and on groomed terrain it would carve only one turn shape (19m). The tips are so stiff that if you try to bend the ski to tighten the turn it really won't budge.

We will have to demo the Chariot. I have it set up for my trip to Col in early November. I think we all need to realize that Peter is giving this rating because the Chariot is in his opinion as close as it gets to a one ski quiver. Sounds great, may not be what I am looking for as I don't need a powder ski to be able to run GS. Love the tight turn radius. We will have to see if it can be my go to fersh snow ski.

Ron:
"all Mountain ski"=  good everywhere, great no where.... ;D

the old idea of a one quiver ski is pretty much a bad idea. 2 ski's is good, 3 would be awesome but not really pratical for the traveling skier for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version