Author Topic: Head Power Rail bindings for 100mm skis  (Read 1507 times)

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
The powerrail bindings don't have the +/- 1.5cm adjustment feature that the railflex had because they're continuously adjustable since the toe and the heel positions are adjusted independently unlike with railflex.? Just adjust the boot length up 10 mm for the toe and down 10 for the heel and you've shifted back 1cm ... and be sure to verify that the forward pressure is still okay.

If bought from Head, the 14 and 11 have narrow brakes and the 12 has wide brakes.?  I expect that you can get more mix-n-match buying from Tyrolia.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:11:18 pm by ToddW »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts

I have seen documentation of PowerRail wide brakes of 88, 97, and 115 as well as the expected narrow models.

And well said as far as the adjustment.  That's sort of what I was assuming.  Is power rail on either of your new skis??
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
That's actually an awesome set up. Ultimate flexibility in finding the exact mounting point on your skis combined with crazy ease of use. Sounds pretty sweet. Railflex bindings generally were lower cost than their race or free ride bindings. The 2011 leftovers will be for sale at great prices next year.

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts

Is power rail on either of your new skis??

Yes, my Icon TT 80 came with the powerrail pro base installed.  Unfortunately, they were bundled with the powerrail 11 binding, not the 14, so no diagonal heel until I upgrade.  It's literally only a few seconds to attach and adjust the bindings if you already have the powerrail base mounted.

The KERS Supershapes are still using the traditional Freeflex + speedplate combination.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
thats an interesting binding, looks like if you could buy the plates separately, you could use the toe and heel on multiple pairs?  I would like  to read some reviews on it but I like the wider interface and the lower height. the RF was also very heavy.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Head Power Rail bindings for 100mm skis
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 02:04:58 pm »
Have settled on putting Head/Tyrolia's new Power Rail's on my Ullr's Chariots (this is the replacement for the RailFlex).? Here are some references and things I have learned.? The big advantage to me is the ability to move the bindings back a bit for softer snow, and the flexibility to let Mike try my skis at the Elk Demo Day.? The default binding mount location for the UC is right at BOF/CRS, which is more forward than my Head and Fischer skis have been.

A YouTube video of how they work and how to adjust or assemble.
https://il.youtube.com/watch?v=zkRxZGmCKyo&feature=related

The 2010/11 Head/Tyrolia binding tech manual
http://www.tyrolia.com/fileadmin/pdfs/Techn.Manual_EN.pdf

1. The only wide "bundle" has the 88mm brake (and comes with the wider dampeners).? If you want the 97mm or 115mm brake then that is a separate part number.? Your local ski shop may or may not order and substiture the wider brake for the 88.
2. Note that since the brakes don't go at the waist and have to be able to slide back to remove, the 115mm brake was recommended for my 101mm waisted skis.
3. The binding is advertised as 7% wider, but it appears to me that this is all in the wider dampener, the mounting jig and basic binding width is the same as most Tyrolia bindings.? the 25% lower (and probably lighter as well) is true.
4. They have a matte black color in addition to the normal Head silver/black that I think will look quit nice on my dark veneer skis.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:21:53 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Head Power Rail bindings for 100mm skis
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 06:45:23 am »
Put these on my Watea 98 and they are great.

Adjust-ability?
Fully gloved, no tools, middle of a run, and the biggest problem is my over 40 eyesight.  I have just enough arm length to read the numbers to be sure I have them both the same.  I  can now click off my skis, change the bindings without taking off my gloves and be skiing again in about 2 minutes, and that is after only 3 adjustments.