Author Topic: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot  (Read 7684 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot
« Reply #225 on: October 21, 2010, 07:33:07 am »
Dave's reply to my question about the side bevel is below. Clearly the 4 degrees (if that is what it is) is not intentional, so I would say the 4 degree measurement is even more suspect, especially after the web link that I posted for Gary indicated that just dragging the tool along the edge of the ski can mess up the calibration; and they charge $20 to recalibrate.? The fact that his ski bevel tool was just laying on the work bench makes its accuracy suspect I think.

Quote from: mazz@skilogik.com
Thanks so much for your comments on the side-edge bevel being off. I'm looking into how that happened so we can prevent it from happening again.

I responded to Dave and let him know that I wasn't even saying they were off, just curious as to whether or not 4 degrees was something Ski Logik had found worked better for wider skis.

Summary.? I will get them measured somewhere else before fully believing that they are at .5 and 4 degrees.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:35:57 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2010, 08:37:00 am »
Jim...did Uncle Dave say what the factory puts on their skis?  I digress....is Uncle Dave a Ski Logik employee?

SO the ????? is.....what does the factory say they put on that specific ski?

Once you know that...either:

1) go to a shop you trust locally

2) wait till you get to a shop at a major resort and ask the locals where they would take their skis to be done.

OR

3) ship them up to me and I'll perform a complete exam and dispatch the appropropriate surgery.

;)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2010, 09:59:17 am »
Jim...did Uncle Dave say what the factory puts on their skis?? I digress....is Uncle Dave a Ski Logik employee?
2) wait till you get to a shop at a major resort and ask the locals where they would take their skis to be done.

OR

3) ship them up to me and I'll perform a complete exam and dispatch the appropriate surgery.

G? ;)

Uncle Dave is the owner.? He says that the default factory tune is .7 and 1.5, beyond that it is personal preference (so I guess you can order the tune you want along with the topsheet graphics you want and the colors of veneer for the topsheet).

I do know a couple that are highly recommended by locals, Precision Ski in Frisco and another guy in Winter Park (I remember location but not name).? While their tunes may be no better than what you would do, both of them guarantee the return of the skis with no yellow stains on the topsheets.? ?;D

But the first step is gong to be to ski. ;) ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:19:02 am by jim-ratliff »

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2010, 11:16:10 am »
My guess is that initial measurement is wrong. Dave would be nuts to send out skis that way and he clearly he did not intend to send them out that way.

On ski shops doing tuning, my experience is that unless you have Willi Wiltz or Start Haus doing it (where we know we have race quality technicians that know much more than I do) you are better off doing it yourself (assuming you know how). I have learned a lot fropm Thor Kallerud, Harald Harb and Willi Wiltz and all that I have learned has given me the ability to see when soneone really doesn't know what they are doing. Unfortunatley it is most and often in even the most highly trafficked and reputable shops. BUYER BEWARE!! You skis may never be the same. I am very protective of my skis, and will not let just any monkey work on them. I recommend that you all take the same stance.

Jim, I am increasingly believing that the guy that measured your skis has simian roots!!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #229 on: October 21, 2010, 01:30:20 pm »
Ok Jim....now that makes more sense...

1 and 3 is perfect....or .7 and 1.5.....for Pete's sake....so many choices to make.

Yup what JB said...I only trust me to work on my skis and my wifes, my kids and my buds that don't mind yellow stains on their top skins...the  potential cost of tunning.

For the most part if they come with .7 and 1.5.....they'll be great on the snow in a variety of conditions...and we await that review.

I think it's very cool you get a choice on the top skins and tune...nice custom stuff....Hope the company does great business.

Best, G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #230 on: October 29, 2010, 02:47:12 pm »

John:

I'm a bit jealous, in 7 days you'll be on the snow, riding Howitzers and Ullr's Chariots and Dodge boots and boot fitting and Raptor 150's.
Sounds like a pretty busy agenda.

Can't wait for the multiple forum posts about the various skis and boots -- but the UC's first if you please even if its not positive.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2010, 05:02:00 pm »
Yeah, my focus/priority list has shifted some and the Dodge boots are now at the top of the list. I will make sure that I take out the Chariots. I have pretty much made up my mind that the Howitzer has too much rocker and I think the ski is too soft for me. I will look at them at the Ski Logik shop and if they look the way I think they do, they will be a pass for me. Definitely taking the chariots out. May take both a 188 and a 178. I will post my thoughts ASAP.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #232 on: October 30, 2010, 09:20:57 am »
I would be very curious to see someone demo this ski next to the Pilgrim which is only 90mm but seems very similar in terms of performance.  Would you get the expected tradeoffs; Pilgrim slightly quicker and slightly better on the groomed but not as good off piste or do you just get a better ski with the Chariot without much tradeoff.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #233 on: October 30, 2010, 12:16:18 pm »
I have a bias, and that is that you cannot ignore 10mm increments of width on the waist. Hence 70mm waisted skis feel quick, and 80mm wasited skis feel less quick. Around 88-90mm they start feeling slow and by the time you get to 100mm at the waist they start to feel like tanks from edge to edge (Of cousre if one's default move is to push on the tails none of this matters and that is why we have the Fat Ski Phenomenon!!). I always try to do slalom flushes with every ski I get on. Usualy it is right above 85mm underfoot that (at least for my skiing) the skis just don't react quick enough to do real flushes. Yes, I can move them from edge to edge as quickly as they will go, but it just isn't quick enough to call it a flush. That's why for me that 85mm waisted ski is the true sweet spot for a fun ski for all day that I can carve nicely and get some snappy quick turns out of the ski. Watea 84 has the quickness, just not stiff enough, and no real pop (very minimal kick/rebound) when you lean on the ski.

So back to your comment, I have been on neither ski (so I probably should have just not said anything) but my guess is that they will fell real different as far as qucikness. If you ride both in GS type turns mabe they will feel somewhat similar. But you would think that the Pligrim would feel an awful lot quicker edge to edge than the Chariot.

I am going to have to ski with Phil and get on the MX88. The Head Peak 88 (last years version without the soft tips) is a really nice ski, but it just isn't very quick edge to edge. If the MX88 is has similar quickness to the Watea 84 then it would be a very sweet ski. I am still not sure it can be accomplsihed, and physics and width play a big role in how easy it is to move a ski from edge to edge.

On snow a week from today and will be testing the dodge boot and the Chariot. Can you tell I am a little pumped!!

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2010, 03:24:24 pm »
I'm a little bit short on time, having just gotten back from skiing the most awesome ski I have ever had the pleasure of stepping into, as well as time spent skiing two different pair of uber boots.? Perhaps more to come later, but the Ullr's Chariot is one awesome ski.? Long turns, short turns, slow turns, fast turns, all are within reach of the casual competent skier.? Obviously I didn't get much chance to demo or evaluate them in deeper snow, but if they handle deeper snow as well as they handle hard and soft groomers then this is as good a ski as represented.? I wasn't impressed enough to buy a pair on the spot, but it is still a possibility.? Sorry I don't have more detailed information, but I was really strapped for time what with the new boots and just getting used to being on the snow again.

J

Quote from: jbotti
I have bad news for all the Chariot lovers who are awaiting a review. Dave at Ski Logik never got back with me and I was not able to demo the ski. I was disappointed as I am sure Jim is. Unfortunately that was my best shot to demo the ski this season. It's unlikely that I buy a pair. Jim it is now up to you to let us all know how it skis when you get it on snow.

For me I throw this into the "things happen for a reason" category. I know I don't need that ski and perhaps I am better off without it right now. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:58:02 pm by gandalf »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #235 on: November 10, 2010, 01:05:22 pm »
THIS POST IS ENTIRELY CRUEL AND UNUSAL PUNISHMENT TO JIM......... ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2010, 01:34:32 pm »
Your turn Jim....get out and let um rip!

A carving wide body.....Did I detect JB's unwritten word that 101 underfoot is carveable? hmmm....
a believer he will be?  :o

Sounds like a fun ski....now find some powpow guys and let us know.

For me sounds like that 3rd ski I'd like to have but don't really need....but I sense a demo in my near future.

G

hozel

« Reply #237 on: November 10, 2010, 06:59:20 pm »
Hey Gary

I found a shop in Tahoe this fall that is going to be demoing the Chariot. As soon as the snow flies I'll let you know how they ski. If all goes well, I may drag them up to Steamboat in February.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #238 on: November 10, 2010, 08:32:48 pm »
I hope everyone realizes that Jim edited my post and what I originally said is in the quote at the bottom of that post. I never skied the Chariot as Dave at ski logik never got back with me. Jim just needed to hear what he wanted to hear so he made it up and posted it using me as his alter ego. Psychoanalysis anyone?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #239 on: November 10, 2010, 09:52:45 pm »
JBotti
You beat me to it!
I was going to fess up for Jim in absentia.

He's off in Fla, doing a weekend retreat for skiers with deep emotional problems separating
their egos from their skis.
It's an intensive weekend with multi-modal therapeutic techniques employed to bring these
broken psyches back to a more neutral stance....er, I mean balance.

Part of the therapy also includes regression analysis  using immersion techniques to bring the adult back in touch with his inner child and then reverse it to gradually bring the patient up to a more mature plane of consciousness. His grandchildren have volunteered to help him thru the regression process.

Initial indicators that the cause of this psychological break  is skiing deprivation, which in Jim's case, was then deepened by the promise of ski reviews which were then ripped away from his anticipatory brain at a vulnerable moment.

>:D ;D >:D ;)

L.
"Play it Sam"