Author Topic: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot  (Read 7735 times)

alkupe

Re: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot
« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2010, 10:17:38 am »
what's that mean sir

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2010, 10:37:17 am »

I don't get it either, FWIW. 

Based on what you said I would think that the Ullr's Chariot isn't a very good fit.  What I hear you say is that you really want a powder ski but that you will also take it on the groomed (so the ski should be more biased to your primary terrain but needs to have traditional shape that will still work on the groomed -- no Spatulas).  More importantly, the UC has a lot of sidecut and a really tight turn radius (15m), and that likely won't play too well with the way you describe your turns (all of that sidecut may get in the way of you being able to redirect the skis, the edges might feel grabby).

Wait for Monday and some of the other guys that know a lot more about powder skis than I, but there are lots of powder skis that still do well on the groomed with an 18-20m turn radius that don't have rocker.  Also, I hear that rocker skis have gone through a lot of refinement in the past year, so may be worth demoing a rocker ski if one gets recommended.

I assumed you've looked around on eBay places for past years Gotamas?

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

alkupe

« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2010, 08:07:40 am »
I have looked on Ebay for older Gotamas. Scant if any.
I will try to demo some skis this year, but I always find it difficult with so many variable to tell what I like or don't like about a ski on any given day. Some days i feel larthargic or the conditions aren't good, or they're too good and I can't spend any time thinking about my skis...

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2010, 07:14:34 am »
he's not looking for a powder ski, he's looking for a 110-115 ski that is soft snow centric that can be used on GS turns on groomers.  He could also look at some of the hybrid skis like a Rossi S3, Dynastar slicer, Blizz' The One. All have tip/tail rocker but enough edge for groomed. Lot sof choices. Also look at atomic blog, Dynastar huge trouble, Icelantic Nomad SFT, Volkl Katana (since you like V's) Moment Bibbys or, Belafonte's, ON3P billy goats, K2 Sidestash and a bunch others out there.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2010, 07:52:06 am »
Just as another thought....what do you weigh alkupe?

Skiing pow like boot to knee high...your weight may be a relevant factor in determining whether 98 underfoot or 115 underfoot could do the job.

ergo..the Kastle MX98....the Watea 98.....the Line Prophet 100...etc

Plenty of great options out there....but if you focus on what the  paramerters for versatility are, where you ski, and how you ski....you might be able to solve the width delima much easier.

Best, Gary

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2010, 08:21:49 am »
The best ski out there at 110m waist for railing GS turns is the Old Nordica Blower. It is now called the Girish. Originally this ski was a twin tip but they redesigned it in year 2 or three and gave it a flat tail. That is a great ski. It's stiff, it's the ultimate crud buster and it is like a tank, not necessarily great for tight turns in tight spots. But it rails GS turns. It floats OK because of its width. I think the current Girish is very similar (although they may have added rocker this year).

This was also not a strong selling ski and deals were easy to come by on this ski.

Phil may have a pair or two laying around from previous years.

The Enforcer is also a very nice ski, at 98mm under foot and also carves really well for a ski that wide. Also easy to pick up pretty cheap. May be too thin for your wants and or needs.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2010, 09:21:06 am »
its a great suggestion. a bit of brute ski......

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2010, 09:44:09 am »
Here are a tow other skis that come to mind. The Rossi S6 is 110m underfoot and the origian version of this did not have rocker. Deaprtment of Goods has them on sale. The 186 length has a 21.3 meter turns radius. I have nevver skied it but a friend has this ski and really likes it. It's his go to all mountain west coast ski. Quite a bit friendlier than the Girish.

Here it is for $454.
http://www.departmentofgoods.com/rossignol-s6-caballero-ski-ros0543

The other one to consder is the Watea 101. This is a very nice ski and the older version has no early rise and is a great carver. Also a reasonably friendly ski to drive. I have skied them many times and it's a wonderful mix of some excellent hard snow ability combined with width that will perform in soft snow. Also an easy ski to find on sale especially the old version that only came in the 192 length.

alkupe

« Reply #173 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:59 am »
thanks for the info people, I will look into these skis.
I am 5'11 but i'm 190 and i like working hard. Whenever I ski something shorter than about 183 I don't like it as much.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #174 on: October 04, 2010, 10:44:59 am »
depends on the sk of course but if its rockered (tip/tail), yup, you are in the 186-190 camp for sure.  There are a ton of options-  depends- This is definetely more of the TGR post. there are about 10 I could rattle off worth taking alook. depends on if you like stiff skis, are you taking drops/airing and some other stuff. Do you like enegetic ckis, damp.... 

G-Man

« Reply #175 on: October 04, 2010, 12:06:29 pm »
I'm a newbie. I agree. Peter's review and the discussion I've read here have definitely piqued my interest in Ullr's Chariot and the Ski Logic line. Great concept and beautiful design. I too am impressed with the shorter turn radius combined with the width. I live in Idaho and ski the West, but I enjoy the bumps and like a turnier ski than most of the wide rides. I'm anxious to hear from those of you who ski Ullr's Chariot. Please keep us posted.

alkupe

« Reply #176 on: October 04, 2010, 12:10:26 pm »
part of my problem is that all this jargon is lost on me to some extent. I've mostly focused on my skiing, less the skis i was on. I basically skiied the pocket rockets at 185 for 5  years than the gotamas for 2 years then lost them.
I think I need to try out the rocker ski more I haven't skiied that much.
I like to get some air but i'm not in the park or doing crazy chutes. I like steep with big bumps like the face of headwall at squaw. But my favorite is sort of in bounds adventure skiing like silverado, broken arrow at squaw or the saddle at kirkwood (but not the crazy chutes). Those are my favorite runs.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #177 on: October 04, 2010, 03:44:33 pm »
I ski Squaw all the time (I guess is should say I used to before we bought a home in MT, but I have skied the mountain a ton). The skis I mentioned are all great skis for Squaw especailly after it gets skied out. To me rocker is only fun in the pow, but not in the crud and chop and we have to be honest, at Squaw that is what you have more of the time than untracked!! Icelantic Nomad is another ski that might work well. Ron can speak to this. Sounds like you would skip the Soft version and get the original.

If you want to go rocker, look at skis that just have tip rocker and less is better IMO. Skis that fit into that category include:

K2 Hardside
K2 Sidestash
ON3P Vicik
Moment Belafonte
Fischer Watea 101 (new version)
Line Prophet 115

There are others. If I can think of them I will post them.

I personally also like a hardtail. I don't take that much air and I never land switch, so I never need a twin tip. I have never skied the Sidestash which is supposedly a wider version of the Hardside. The hardside is a great ski for Squaw, reasonably stiff, minimal rocker tip (15cm), great in crud, will ski soft bumps well and floats nicely in the pow and rails on groomers. If the sidestash is the same only wider it shoud be a great ski.  Hardsiide 98mm under foot, sidestash 108mm underfoot.

alkupe

« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2010, 10:01:55 am »
thanks for the info. i agree i don't like rocker as much for my kind of skiing, or at least i didn't like last year's gotamas as much as the ones i had from a couple years before.
seems like you know what i'm going for.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2010, 10:12:48 am »
Atomic Atlas might be worth a look as well. Very minimal tip rocker and a flat tail. Also a pretty stiff ski.