Author Topic: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot  (Read 7752 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2010, 02:17:35 pm »
I am sure it was fustrating but I have to think that she made a difference. even if it was one person it was worthwhile. I hope my comment is appropriate.

OK, we'll be nice especailly with Lyn heading off to do such good things, I have to keep the good karma going!?

Looking forward to seeing more detailed pics. they really are cool

Lynn got back from Haiti this past weekend.? However, not sure she will want to post very much about the experience.?
The icons tell much of the story.? Shocked, Angry, Crying, Sad? ?? :o? >:(? :'( :(

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2010, 02:21:34 pm »
I agree and of cousre she made a difference. I guess sometimes when you realize what some people/race/nations are up against it can be demoralizing.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2010, 02:48:06 pm »
we are lucky to complain about what we perceive as so terrible in this country

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2010, 02:50:43 pm »
My biggest concern was that they would be too stiff, and Exotic Skis complained that he felt they were too stiff in the waist, so realize my comments are in that context.

Definitely not noodles, But springier and livelier than I expected. Not as damp as the SS Magnums or iM78's.
Straight bending of whole ski, front quarter, tail quarter is the flex I was talking about and at this its closer to my supershape than the Watea. ?

And now, based on thinking about it, I tried to twist them torsionally and they seem really stiff that way. ?I brace the tail between my feet or knees and twist the tip. It takes a lot of effort to twist these much (stiffer this way that I remember my Watea's and maybe even stiffer than the Magnums).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 02:53:47 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2010, 03:00:07 pm »
Lynn comes from a mindset and a peer group of truly caring about the patient. For example, they take pride in the fact that their hospital has the lowest Caesarean rate in the state of New York.? It was really difficult for her to see a group of women that had been trained by American volunteers, are now paid on an ongoing basis by the same American volunteer group, and who exhibit very little care or concern for their patients.? And then to hear someone say that "it's like that in all Haitian 'hospitals' (to use the word loosely).

Ron, don't worry about your comments.? I too think she had a positive impact, maybe not in the places she expected, but still true.

I am sure it was frustrating but I have to think that she made a difference. even if it was one person it was worthwhile. I hope my comment is appropriate.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:25:23 pm by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #200 on: October 07, 2010, 04:07:35 pm »
And by the way, the skis came with an owners tri-fold.

Tuning Specifications:

Ski Logik produces precision instruments.? Keeping your skis tuned well will bring out the most in their performance.? For best results, take them to an excellent ski tuner in your area.? Initial Ski Logik Finishing Tune:
  • Stone Grind with medium structure
  • 0.7 degrees of base bevel
  • 1.5 degrees of side bevel
  • Hot wax done by handl

Ordinary Care: Wash with soap and warm water and towel dry.

Top: The natural wood veneer tops have been treated with Clear Iron (trade mark) and require no further spraying or varnish.? As with all skis, chipping may occur along the sides of the tops from collision with the edge of the other ski.? This type of wear will not affect durability and water will not damage your skis. To improve their appearance, sand nicks and scrapes until they are smooth. Sanded surfaces can be made more attractive by adding a fine layer of linseed oil or even cooking oil.

Sidewalls: Ski Logik's sidewalls are made of Black Locust wood, which is naturally waterproof and naturally rot resistant.? Treatment is not necessary as Black Locust can last for decades outside without any sealant. To restore the beauty of your sidewalls after normal weathering, sand the sidewalls by hand and apply linseed oil (flax seed oil) and let it dry overnight.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2010, 05:30:49 pm »
After reading the last few posts, I cannot remember being as conflicted about what I want to say. Lynn's experiences, or at least a very quick summary, just dominate my thoughts. Bouncing back to skis just seems, well, so trivial after seeing the emotion icons. For the past week, my family has been dealing with the health issues of an aging 90 year old father-in-law and those icons somewhat describe my emotional state. Skiers are a very fortunate group to have the resources to do what we love.

So, Jim, there will come a day to celebrate the arrival of your new family member. Enjoy, and don't over-analyze them. Take care of important business in the mean time.

Lynn, my best thoughts go out you! Some people think of what they could have done or should have done, but you went and did it. You have the highest level of my respect.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2010, 06:52:15 pm »
Mike:?

Lynn is doing very well, by the way, given all that she has going on.? But as with your situation, she dealt with a pretty sad situation where you make the best decisions you can while at the same time knowing that there isn't much you can really do to change the outcome.!!?

My condolences to you, and especially to your wife, in the situation/decison that it sounds like you are facing.

By the way, I believe there is nothing wrong with tears, they show us what is really important to us.  I had an employee whose wife died of ovarian cancer (leaving two young children).  In my lifetime I attended their wedding and I attended her funeral.  That got to me!!  Lynn's story about a particular woman in Haiti also got to me.  Skis may come and go, but they are only things and they certainly don't evoke tears.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:33:20 pm by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2010, 08:23:25 pm »
My first reaction at seeing the Ullr's Chariots and the Watea 84's together was how much wider the UC looked.? Not sure it shows in the picture, but when I put all three down on the desk they dwarfed the Watea.

Length measured at 178.9? (they are called a 178).? Watea's are 176.
I measured the running length at 1490, which is a little bit longer than the 1460 measurement that Dave gave John via email.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:32:31 am by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2010, 08:28:19 pm »
Not too much difference in the tips.? In fact the Watea has a more gradual tip, may actually have more of the tip off the snow.
Big difference in the tails.

And I had forgotten that the Watea doesn't have a tip protector either.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:42:15 pm by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #205 on: October 07, 2010, 08:41:05 pm »
Final attempts.? not a good picture, but lots of camber built into the ski.

And trying a closer-up of the tip.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:49:56 pm by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2010, 04:49:00 am »
Sweet! 1st off, I love the dark walnut.

Interesting profile. I think it will be a fun ski.  Very rare that a ski measures longer than published dims.  I would like to see the ski, the camber seems to run very long in the tail, I dont know enough to say if this is good or bad, just different. A guess would be that it has a lot of energy and pop. interesting to note the Kastle mx98 in a 174 has a longer running length than both the watea and the Chariot.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2010, 10:08:01 am »
Blatantly padding the reply count for this thread.

Since we have a pretty small group, I decided to activate the calendar so that people can post ski trips as they are scheduled and so others can post their intent to join in.
I took the liberty of attaching Gary's message to the February dates he mentioned as an example.
Hopefully, Perry will come out of hibernation and add his dates to the Calendar so we can find out if it works.
I also created entries for the observed Holidays, the software only handles the fixed Holidays.

Just click on the Calendar button up near the top and then navigate month to month.  If you click on the date then it will open a data entry window. This method will create a dummy thread in the Calendar forum.  You can also create a thread and then create a Calendar entry from that.  Check February for Gary's trip to see and example.  I also added the Elk demo day as a appointment.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2010, 11:53:35 am »
JIm.....A a great looking ski....I love the dims....can't wait to hear you and JB's reviews.

I should test them....yes... >:D  g

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2010, 12:16:14 pm »
Gary:

I'm not so sure that would work out.? Their advertising says that Black Locust wood is naturally resistant to moisture and rot and will survive decades without any treatment.

However, you have a certain reputation and there is no indication indicating Black Locust's resistance extends to other liquids, especially of the bodily type!!? ?>:D

By the way, Lynn and I are planning on attending Elk Mountain's demo day, which Mike says is Jan. 6/7th.  I'm bringing the UC's if you want to drive down and try them (but no taking them off the trail and into the trees)!!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:20:52 pm by jim-ratliff »