Author Topic: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot  (Read 8038 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2010, 03:27:32 pm »
OK, now that the three of you have it sorted it out, allow me to jump in here like I know what the heck I am talking about. (recognize that all three of you are better skiers that I am).

There are only two ways to redirect a ski.

1. Let the decambered tip of the ski lead you through the turn by tipping in that direction ---
2. Just rotate the skis into the direction you want to go.
In a different category are moves that allow a ski to drift/brush/displace sideways without actually redirecting or changing the heading of the ski.

How does a ski decamber?
1. By tipping the ski until the sidecut causes the tip to engage on a relatively firm surface.
2. In soft snow, the force of the snow in front of the ski keeps it decambered most of the time.

How does a ski rotate?
1. skidding - where the front of the ski stays relatively fixed and the tail moves down the hill (skids).(usually with edges somewhat engaged)
2. pivoting - where the edge is not engaged, and the ski can be spun on its vertical axis.
3. frudding - forward skidding, where the tail stays relatively fixed and the tips are displaced UP the hill??? ?;D

How much force is required to decamber the ski?? Depends on the sidecut and stiffness of the ski.
1. A deeper sidecut will engage earlier on a firm surface and create earlier/more decambering forces.
2. A wider ski forebody will encounter more snow resistance and create more decambering force.
3. A stiffer ski will resist both of these decambering forces.? (think race slalom or big mountain planks for doing first descents).
4. A softer ski will allow itself to be decambered more easily. (think Head iC160 or the Salomon Pocket Rocket).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:49:23 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."