Author Topic: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot  (Read 7682 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2010, 02:18:20 pm »
One aspect of skiing that interests me is looking at those skiing down while I'm riding the chair. Honestly, I see very little skiing that excites me. I want to watch 1 in 20. So much tail pushing, standing straight up, hands at sides and making the same boring skids. Maybe it's just that if you are going to ski poorly, any ski will assist you in getting there. Perhaps the day of technique is over, replaced by instant gratification of just going fast. Somehow the concept of learning to ski first and then developing an individual style has been lost.
 match our individual needs to the ski we select, and, not to be in lock-step with a trend.

1. They may be skidding and looking boring (and I was there at one time) but are they on the mountain and getting their money's worth.? First you have to be there and enjoying what you are doing before "getting better" at what you are doing ever becomes an issue.? I once had a day at Winter Park with a foot of icy crystals and snow (heavy) and my 30 year old son said "Well dad, at your age you may have to accept that you won't get any better."? That was my motivation to change, but I was already enjoying skiing (and finding the limitations of my skillset).  I have often thanked him for that 'insensitive' comment.

2. Some people accept (maybe even need) the concept and value of coaching, usually people that have been coached in other sports or are just a bit competitive.? Those of us that want to get better through coaching are actually the ones in the minority.? ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:22:45 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."