Author Topic: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot  (Read 7843 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Ski Logik Ullr's Chariot
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 12:04:01 pm »
Jim, I do own several carbon fiber bikes. I'm not sure the ski manufacturers have figured out how to use it well yet. If it was truly superior to metal, you would see it in race skis and this is not the case. The big race ski companies have the money, the R&D people and the resources to put it in all their race skis. Clearly it does not perfrom as well as metal at high speeds when the skis are being torqued to their max. In cycling clearly Carbon Fiber is lighter and as torsionally stiff as is needed on a bike. Not sure the forces are anywhere near what occurs on a ski in a GS course.

Lightness sounds great. It's epecially nice when you are carrying and hiking. What is unclear is whether light skis can perform in high torque environments anywhere near as well as heavier skis. On a bike especially ascending, weight is everything. Last I checked when you are skiing you are always headed downhill. Weight is actually your friend (if you like going fast!!).

I don't think the analogy with bikes holds up that well with regard to carbon fiber and skis.

Of course some people like the way carbon fiber skis feel because they feel light. I don't think they perform as well at speed and are not as torsionally stiff no matter what DPS, PM Gear or Dave at ski logic say in their marketing material.