Author Topic: Road bike gearing (SRAM PG 1070 11-32 Cassette)  (Read 678 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Road bike gearing (SRAM PG 1070 11-32 Cassette)
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:32:06 am »
Jim,
Nice write-up and thanks for sharing. SRAM's advertising bills the Apex group as the end of the need for triple cranksets. SRAM makes good stuff. It's amazing that any business case would start to compete with Shimano and Campy in the small bike parts business.

In another recent thread, Lynn and you were discussing her Litespeed Ti frame equipped with a Dura Ace Triple and (I presume) a long cage rear derailluer that permit that bike to climb with far less effort. If I rode in hilly terrain, Lynn and I could have entered into negotiations as that frame combination would suit my needs very well. Well, prior that negotiation, the Tennis Diva and I would have to strike a deal.

I found compact cranks required getting used to in 2 main areas. First, it's easy to cross-chain which you point out. Second, the jumps between gears is bigger resulting in loss of ability to fine tune the right gearing combination and I really miss having a perfect gear combination.  Both of these situations are compounded with the larger rear cassetts.

However, if you do not change the size of the chain, it's somewhat easy to change out the rear cassett to the best match depending on where you are going to ride. An option would be to have 2 rear wheels each with a dedicated cassett. The rear derailluer does not have to be readjusted as the widths are the same. The best of two worlds in one groupo!

My bad luck is that I have a 9 speed system.

I'm glad that you got this done and it should improve the pleasure of your riding!