Author Topic: Ride up Mt Werner  (Read 682 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Ride up Mt Werner
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 08:35:46 am »
You typed "when you have the your mountain bike base"- I thought you meant back, not base. What does that mean?

Ron:? Its her way of saying a base level of fitness in a specific sport (and environment, I guess, since riding at Steamboat is dramatically different than riding at sea level). Same as what Mike is saying in this quote from another thread, I think.? While you certainly have an excellent level of fitness from chasing that Ice Cream truck? ;D that's not quite the same as Mountain Biking, which is not quite the same a Road Biking, I guess.? Specificity of training, and the reason that triathletes have to train in all three disciplines.

Two days a week, I limit my ride time to about an hour and perform high intensity, short duration bursts followed by a period of rest. I ride with a heart rate monitor. One example is that there is a bridge where I climb, coast down, recover and then turn around and do it again, and again etc. Another is I ride for 7 minutes at a higher, not max heart rate, then recover and do this 7 times. Not fun! :P

Before starting, be warned that you should build 500 base miles of easy riding. Not a good program for anyone who just starting riding.

Another example from the IBIS thread

Get your red blood cells in order before pushing it!
Wouldn't want to pass out and scratch that new baby.
L.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:43:49 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."