Author Topic: My new Ibis...  (Read 498 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: My new Ibis...
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 09:47:52 am »
Titanium, my thoughts are it makes a great bike material, damp, light and strong. I think the highpoint of Ti frames was prior to, or at the onset of, the development of the carbon fiber frames. As the pro's ride carbon frames and that's where all the "buzz" is, Ti's luster been reduced.? Also, the new carbon designs are very cool to look out, where Ti has the dated traditional look. If I ever come across one on craigslist, I might go ride it and see what happens.

Mike:  Lynn has a LiteSpeed Catalyst with Compagnolo components for sale (road triple crank).  This was Doug's race bike before he got the matching GT titaniums for he and Lynn, which Lynn still rides, with DuraAce components and Doug's Zipp race wheels.  Like you said, not particularly sexy looking but a solid bike, probably a 53-54" frame.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 01:04:06 pm »
Jim,
Thanks for the heads-up regarding Lynn selling the Lightspeed. I ride a 58 cm, could drop to 56 but frame is too small. One of the issues associated with resale of a good road bike, is, that framesize really narrows the number of potential buyers. Would have made Gary a great ride though! There is a guy on Epic looking for a bike in that size, so, pm me with details and I'll pass it on.

I appreciate the thoughts about Neuvation wheels. I was in my LBS today (buying a new pair of riding gloves to replace a really, really beat-up pair) and asked about additional speed associated with very light wheels. Their thinking is light accelerates and climbs much better, but, they did not think the overall riding speed difference is that significant. From a physics standpoint, seems to make sense for a recreational rider doing 15 mph or so who does not go great distance. Still, I'd like to get a light pair for longer rides involving climbing.

I bought a pair of Conti 4000's for my new bike last year, and, it was like taking a $100 dollar bill and burning it. The sidewalls were destroyed by small sea shell's dropped by gulls on the highways. It's riding in So. Jersey's only drawback, other than constant wind.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 01:37:13 pm »

Mike:? Lynn has a LiteSpeed Catalyst with Compagnolo components for sale (road triple crank).?? Like you said, not particularly sexy looking but a solid bike, probably a 53-54" frame.

Jim/LP
Actually, frame is 56cm.

A decent bike, but not as light as one would expect a Ti bike to be.
L.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 01:51:38 pm »

Mike:

I would agree that lightness isn't much of an issue for me.

However, for me the rolling resistance (which I think was bearing quality) was night and day; it was a tangible difference from one day to the next.  Less effort to pedal and and greater speed.  I was, quite honestly, amazed that there could be that mucn difference when replacing a set of Shimano wheels that were OEM'd on a bike with a $3300 list price.

Jim

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 07:04:44 am »
A high qauality wheel set is the best upgrade you can get. I didn't realize that before but in learning and listening to the shop guys, they all do it on thier own bikes. MTN and Road. rigidity & roll resistance are the biggest factors.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 11:25:47 am »
Let me add my admiration for your new bike.
VERY PRETTY!
And it even rides well. An added bonus. ;)

Get your red blood cells in order before pushing it!
Wouldn't want to pass out and scratch that new baby.
L.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 07:28:48 am »
WAAAY too LATE!  I already crashed it good! took a really mean header coming down a section of the trail where it went from sunlight into shade, just before the bottom of the dip, there was small bump, on the back side of the bump it goes into a small stream, with about a 1 foot ledge going up, I didn't see the ledge; I should have slowed down more, popped the wheel up and onto the ledge and roll over,  I skipped that part and just rolled over.... the handle bars that is!  No damage to the bike, I have some sweet burn and cuts, bruises and an odd lump on my shoulder with briused fingers (never had that before) but I am fine.  Funny thing was that Ira picked up a part of someone elses helmet on the side of the trail in the same place..... I guess it's a popular place to crash.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 08:07:06 am »
Ron:

That sounds like a pretty dramatic flip, glad all of the body parts are in place and mostly OK or will be soon.? Bruised hand is not something I've heard of, but sounds like that means you kept you hands on the handlebars rather than reaching out and winding up with a broken wrist or arm.

One of my biggest concerns on the road is going downhill at 30 mph and wondering if the shadows ahead are hiding a pothole in the road; something that I don't want to hit on a road bike at that speed.? Just very hard to see into the shadows.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:25:49 am by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 08:13:20 am »
No, I got thrown from the bike for sure! The bike stopped cold in the steam at the lip of the ledge, i was a few feet forward... I am pretty good at falling (from experience) and I rolled over as I fell, I landed on my right forearm/elbow, then hit my right shoulder and rolled onto my back. I guess I somehow hit with my left fist as my knuckles and tops of the fingers were cut and bruised. Only minor scrapes/bruising on right shin. all happens in an instant.

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 02:26:43 pm »
There is a mighty blurred line between credit and blame.
The only thing clear is that Ron, dear friend, YOU are SUCH a gear ****!
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo