Author Topic: My new Ibis...  (Read 494 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
My new Ibis...
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:12:41 am »
I blame Phil (of course)

I'm up here in Steamboat and Phil stopped by for a couple days enroute to his new home, after fondling a few new bikes and seeing his new 9'r I just had to get a new ride.? My last bke purchased in 2001, The Ibis is a full carbon frame with a new rear lik design called a DW Link. You can read all the technical stuff on the site if you want.

Ibis SL, SLX set
http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojosl/

Parts list
http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojo/parts_pick/

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:18:27 am by Ron »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: My new Ibis...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:50:28 am »
Congratulations, very awesome!!!!? I thought 29" tires were all the rage, what led you to stay with 26's?? Is the picture your bike or just a stock photo.? Did you get the Shimano XTR or the SRAM XX geartrain??? (I'm a fan of the XX, even though I know little about mountain bikes).? Only about 20 pounds, that's awesome.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:29:37 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:14:24 am »
the 9'rs are very cool and have some advantages, I really like the Ibis frame and suspension and Ibis does not make 9'rs.  You can mount a in between  sized wheel set if you like.  I went with the SLX set as the cost for the XTR is about 6K!  For the level of my riding now and any time in the near future, this is more than adequate. the SLX group is very good, much improved over my XTR I had on the Trek.  If I have the need, all of that can be upgraded but I really bought it for the frame and suspension and how it fit me.   The picture if a stock photo but its the exact same bike.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:51:08 am »
the 9'rs are very cool and have some advantages, I really like the Ibis frame and suspension and Ibis does not make 9'rs.? You can mount a in between? sized wheel set if you like.? I went with the SLX set as the cost for the XTR is about 6K!? For the level of my riding now and any time in the near future, this is more than adequate. the SLX group is very good, much improved over my XTR I had on the Trek.? If I have the need, all of that can be upgraded but I really bought it for the frame and suspension and how it fit me.? ?The picture if a stock photo but its the exact same bike.
And I believe that fit is the most important part.? While Lynn is pretty down to earth, she is uncharacteristicall y adamant about Dura Ace components on her bike, I'm fine with the second tier (and much more reasonably priced) Ultegra.

Very nice looking bike.? By the way, there is actually a well respected bike brand named Moots that I just found out is located in Steamboat Springs.? They only do titanium, so probably very upscale (jim speak for expensive).? Amazing to find a bike manufacturer located there.

Congratulations (and kudos to Phil, you deserved a new toy).

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 01:19:49 pm »
NIce ride my brother.....did ya go with the wider seat to handle that extra width your sportn'?  >:D

Hey gotta say...that bike is really tricked out...gotta be a pleasure up on the trails.

Does it come with an electric motor for us less energetic?

G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 05:27:37 am »
Ron,

Nice ride! This fall we need to do a ride so I can check it out, and, of course, do a test ride. I?m really glad that you took the Trek out to the ?boat and did some baseline riding in real mountain conditions before making the new buy. Just like skis, nothing beat the experience of being in the saddle climbing and descending. 26 vs 29 bikes is all about trade-offs, so now you have what works for you, and, not for someone else. Smart!

Ron gave me heads-up and dibs on buying his Trek Fuel at a great price. While I?m not a Mtn biker, as I have limited access to the terrain, it was a tough decision to pass on. I did buy a $ 4 mountain bike at a garage sale a few weeks ago. Yes, 4 bucks. Older Giant with a better Shimano system. The joke many be on me because I did not check out the seat adjustment and the seat post is frozen. Efforts to-date to have not freed it.

Premium group?s are pretty hard to justify. The cost to benefit ratio just does not work for this rider/value shopper. I suspect that good part of the $3K upgrade cost would have delivered an upgraded wheel set and it can real crazy looking at the cost of premium wheel sets. The next upgrade to my road bike is better wheels.

Enjoy it and ride it like hell!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 07:45:06 am »
JIm, I actually went to th Moots factory. Greg told me about that too. You can watch them build bikes. It was cool.  Thier bikes are very sweet, I think their road bikes are incredible. 

Mike, I agree with you regtarding the group set. the real advantge is in the wheels according Mike, the shop owner. He is a big road bike fanatic but rides mtn bikes too. He's a big proponent of upgrading wheel-sets.

Gary, how's your new bike doing? Are you lovin' it? 

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 07:57:33 am »
Morning Ron.....oh yeah....knocked 9 lbs off my Bianchi to the new Cannandale Synapse? carbon fiber frame, Shimmano 104's....and a host of other great features.

What I noticed was the carbon fiber seems to absorb vibration better and the frame dynamics seem to put pedal power to the back wheel more efficiently.

The gearing doesn't give me a great top end but the bottom is great for hills in our area.

Most importantly after trying  3 top end touring bikes all 54".....this one fit my frame the best. Yup..try before you buy!

So I customized it with the "gentlemans" seat for comfort....threw on my pegs and haven't looked back since.

Had the Bianchi about 8 years and thought light would be right....yes it is!

Good equipment isn't always the solution but man....sure makes life easeir!? ?G? ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 08:05:08 am »
LP:

You need to check out www.neuvationcycling.com. ?I have been really pleased with their wheels and their responses to questions.

And I agree with your  cost/benefit statement.  It's easier for me to lose a pound of weight than to pay for half a pound in higher end components.

Gary:  Carbon fiber, while stiff, does dampen vibration very nicely.  That was the biggest difference I noted when trying carbon vs. aluminum at the bike shop and is what led me to pick Carbon (that and a great end of year price).  I think Titanium is supposed to be strong and damp as well, but it is also more expensive.  Where's Jbotti when we need him?   ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:17:49 am by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 09:00:26 am »
go check out moots site for info on Ti but yes Jim you are correct.  Ti is very sweet but also very expensive. However, if you consider the cost over the years, a Moots road bike would really be a smart buy if you were a serious rider. 

Gary is that 105 set? Not familiar with 104.  Also what are pegs?

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 10:04:34 am »

;D ;D  Pegs are attachments that BMX'ers put on their front and rear axles so that they can do tricks and stuff.  Things like standing on the front axle pegs while they spin the bicycle around them.  Rear pegs are mostly used to transport their friends who are standing on the rear pegs.  Sounds like Gary to me.  >:D >:D

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 10:41:39 am »
And I believe that fit is the most important part.? While Lynn is pretty down to earth, she is uncharacteristicall y adamant about Dura Ace components on her bike, I'm fine with the second tier (and much more reasonably priced) Ultegra.

Hey, I just wanted to keep everything in the same family!! Geez! Slandered and maligned I say.

And the durailleur didn't cost me anything. I just switched out from Doug's bike to mine. He doesn't need a dura ace derailleur anymore. (yes, morbid humor). AND I replaced it with an ultegra for my occasionally riding son.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:50:31 pm by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 06:28:59 am »
LP:

You need to check out www.neuvationcycling.com. ?I have been really pleased with their wheels and their responses to questions.

Jim,

My bike tech expert, Helluvaskier is a fan of Neuvation. Which of their rims do you ride? Road Bike Reviews are interesting to read on these rims as some love, some trash. Their website recommends riding 700x25 tires at less than 140 psi as a means of softening rides and that's something I've done for a while.

Titanium, my thoughts are it makes a great bike material, damp, light and strong. I think the highpoint of Ti frames was prior to, or at the onset of, the development of the carbon fiber frames. As the pro's ride carbon frames and that's where all the "buzz" is, Ti's luster been reduced.  Also, the new carbon designs are very cool to look out, where Ti has the dated traditional look. If I ever come across one on craigslist, I might go ride it and see what happens.

Philly Craigslist has a Moots MTB for $2500. Makes Ron's offer on his old Trek a great buy!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 06:52:35 am »
my bike gets bult today! I was at the shop yesterday and saw the frame. It cant weigh more than 5 pounds. Its a deep, royal blue, nuch richer color than the image. very sweet. biuld time is about 4 hours!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 11:07:09 pm »

Jim,

My bike tech expert, Helluvaskier is a fan of Neuvation. Which of their rims do you ride? Road Bike Reviews are interesting to read on these rims as some love, some trash. Their website recommends riding 700x25 tires at less than 140 psi as a means of softening rides and that's something I've done for a while.

I have the R28 Aero for the front and the M28 Aero for the rear.? I liked the fact that when I described my riding and my weight Neuvation said that the steel hub on the M28 was a better choice rather than trying to push the more expensive aluminum hub.? Check the dates on some of the posts, Neuvation will admit that they had a bad set of hub or wheels or something a while back.? Also, the Performance Bike Titans are NOT th same wheel as Neuvation.? Made in the same factory and look similar, but not really the same.? There are lots of posts that say both of them are the same.? Do not pay list for the Neuvation wheels, they are always having sales for one reason or another.? I bought the R28 front because it was on sale for the same price as? M28. Another advantage is the that newer wheels are made of 6066 Aluminum, not 6061.

I was absolutely amazed at how much better/freer the wheels rolled than my Shimano WH500's.? 2-3 miles per hour faster.? I improved so much that Lynn decided to start using her Zipp wheels to keep me in my rightful place (which is behind).? ?>:D And that actually does have some benefits.? :-X

Caveat.? I don't ride fast enough to really need the aero spokes, I just thought they looked good.

I do have a 25 tire on the back and I put 100 lbs of air front and back.? My Continental 4000's (which I love) are only rated for 120 max.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 11:11:23 pm by jim-ratliff »