Author Topic: Ok, its summer and not much skiing.....  (Read 438 times)

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Ok, its summer and not much skiing.....
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 08:46:11 am »
Three words.  Bulgarian split squats.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 08:47:28 am »
my enthusiasm has been pretty much sustained for many years now, I just have learned more over the years. so my interest has actually increased.

Your meal is aslo one of my favorites! ?i still drink wine, just very restricted and at choice times. ?i wouldn't eat a high-fat food with wine, and i will try to not drink more than a 1/2 glass of wine per day. Once a week, we eat a "cheat meal" this can really be anything you want (within reason) and I may even have 2 glasses! but, I am aware of what I am eating and drinking. ? from what I can tell, each buffalo wing is about 70-80 calories and 3-6 grams of fat (depending on the sauce, which is primarily butter) so if you ate the average dozen or so.... ?900 calories and 60 grams of fat, or about another 20 grams of sat fat and about 2,000mg of salt ,

BEER: budweiser: 145 cals per beer, 1 gram fat. ?

6 oz fillet: 330 calories, 12 grams of fat, 6 grams sat (bad) 100 mgs of salt (mine would have more!) so yes, have the wine and enjoy...
red wine: cab- 128 calories. no fat.  I would substitute a sweet potato, brown/black rice or quinoa for the regular potato but no biggie...

that's the difference....

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:58:53 am by Ron »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 08:49:38 am »
Three words.? Bulgarian split squats.

Oh yeah baby! Friken killers!!!!  you have to post that one.

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 08:52:51 am »
Have at it.? The dropping knee needs to get as close to the floor as possible.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2010, 07:49:11 pm »
This summer?

Packing
Driving
Unpacking
MTBing
Golfing
Skiing (still some "hike to" at Squaw)
Work

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 11:59:13 am »
MIKE- BONKING: it sucks but you can help prevent it by eating correctly. Mike, eating "foods" like beer and wings will do more harm than any good, the saturated fats and alchohol together are just a perfect storm in your body

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the thinking, or, was it preaching? Hey, my diet is not that bad. With my current level of miles, I have some calories to play with.

Had my annual physical last week and I'm 13 lbs. lighter and my blood numbers are great. On my way out of the exam room, my doc told his staff "Here is a guy who get's it". He also told me to start working on more upper body muscle mass.

I was reminded of bonking today. I intended to ride 25 miles early but it was really hot. My bike computer was reading 95 degrees at 9 a.m. Around the 15 mile mark, I could feel the symptoms. Slowed down, drank a lot of water, shortened my route and got home just fine.

Still, it reinforces your thinking about the need to plan to hydrate and eat whenever doing exercise over a long period of time. Cycling is unique in the amount of time exercise occurs over. Usually, for 2 hours water is fine. Each day on the road is a little different experience. Always carry some $$$ and know where the next convenience store is located.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 12:22:11 pm »
no preaching but its not just calories, saturated fat (animal fats) and trans fats (when fried in most restaurant oil)  is just not worth it. Congrats on the 13 pounds but if fitness is your goal, its just something to avoid. it definitely will affect you fitness-wise. Its up to you. No worries. if you enjoy them that much, it's worth it to you. eat a few for me please.  remember 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat....

I don't ride or run in this heat, I give you guys a lot of credit.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 02:36:54 pm »
Yesterday I waited until 7pm to do a short ride.
It was bearable by then and Central Park roadway was mostly shaded at that hour.
Just did 12 milles, but worked the hills a bit to compensate.

However, I really enjoyed that G&T (made with diet tonic, yuck, but some concessions to a slower, middle- aged metabolism must be made! ;)

G&T's were made for this weather. Only time of year I drink them.

L.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 03:06:29 pm »
Lyn, it was still in the 90's at that time!  Yuck!  You go girl!  hey a G&T on a hot day is a damn fine choice. I didn't know there was a diet Tonic?  how about a seltzer, cranberry, mandarin absolute and lime????  just don't drink them with buffalo wings! 

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 07:53:07 pm »
Ron
That sounds like a cheater cosmopolitan. Hmmm, i'm sticking' with the real thing when it comes to cosmos.
 ;D
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 07:06:53 am »
I didn't realize that!  I guess it is. But you pour these up in a pint glass with a lot of ice, you can drink more of these than cosmos!  If you want to kick that up, add a little lemoncello....

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 08:09:14 am »
Always open to trying a new concotion. I will give that a try.
Yes, cosmos are pretty toxic in any quantity. Can't do that anymore. :o
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 10:01:23 am »
of course the level of "toxicity" is completely up to you!  I usually just put about a big shot of vodka and about 3/4 seltzer, the rest cranberry, the vodka and lime. not very strong but thirst quenching,

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 01:27:06 pm »
"big shot of vodka"

Lots of room for interpretation...

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 02:00:45 pm »
for me, that's about 1.5oz. for you....... ???