Author Topic: Groomed ski recommendations for a friend of mine  (Read 357 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Groomed ski recommendations for a friend of mine
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:18:22 pm »
Hmmmm....very interesting.....? Well, you should definitely ask Terryl about the Progressors, sp. whether they would be of an appropriate stiffness for Lynn's weight.? Terryl finds them to be a ton of fun.? The dual radius sidecut is similar to the TT that John and Todd described, making turn release very controllable and smooth.? I can attest, having skied the Progressor 9 -- it was the most versatile hard snow ski I have been on; I could seemingly do anything I wanted, and the ski handled it all with aplomb.? I think you are on the right track -- that kind of sidecut really works.

As for the Power One, that may be too stiff and heavy for Lynn, as she is rather on the light side, if I remember (~115 to 120 lbs?).? Terryl is 130, and quite strong from skating and mtn. biking, and yet she finds her SS Speeds (ie. Power Ones) to be somewhat demanding at slow speeds - she has to be "on them" all the time; not too relaxing for dipsy-doodling.? They are a powerful, smooth, damp, GS type medium to long radius ski that needs some strong input.? And definitely not a great bump ski (stiff tail).? This is why she got the Progressors -- to get something more agile, lighter, snappier for short turns, less demanding at slow speeds for skiing with kids and slower friends; yet still plenty stable for long turns and occasional high speed runs.? I think they are more lively / less damp than her Speeds....not sure on that, however....? (BTW, I should add, the Progressors do not replace her Speeds -- she would never give those up -- but augment the quiver and fill a small but important niche? ::) )

Some other options for dual-radius designs:

Elan Speedwave 10:? http://www.elanskis.com/pcc.asp#xpath=/products/product#xpathid=Speedwave10#lang=cae? I have checked these out as a possible choice for Terryl -- they seem soft but not noodly; torsionally stiff from the Waveflex design; no metal; very well made.  A little wider than what you are looking for, perhaps....?

Nordica Firefox:? female version of the Spitfire, but softer.? Gets rave reviews in the media and forums (Ski Diva).? Supposed to very quick, agile, stable.? Good looking ski, too.? But too stiff for a lightweight? Nordica puts it in their "race" category, which might be a good indicator.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:37:51 pm by Svend »