Author Topic: Demo report: Contact 4x4; Contact Cross Ti; Progressor 9+; Mach 3  (Read 970 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
I should be noted that is a rather largish Viking.....so his weight does has an impact on how these skis perform...having skied with him....I know he loves speed.

Come on Svend....the readers need ALL the info...

Hey Gary, full disclosure was made in paragraph 2 in my first post   ::)  Would you be wanting my chest, waist and hip measurements too?  :o

Actually, Gary's is a very valid point, as a person's height and weight play so much of a role in how a ski behaves beneath them, how much they can bend the ski, how much it twists, etc.  Because of my weight, I can readily get a rather stiff ski to become very compliant and easy to manage, even with my limited skill and experience.  This, of course, leads into Jim's point about the 4x4's being good for a strong and skilled skier -- I'm strong, but not terribly skilled.  They were great to ski on when I cranked up the power and speed -- stable, quiet, tracked where I pointed them, great short and long turns.....fantastic and a blast to ride.  But for casual cruising, which I also really enjoy and do about as much of as cranking up the speed, these were one of my least favorite skis I've ever been on (their poor rental-shop tune surely played a role too, albeit minor, in my impressions).  I need something more versatile -- great for speed and for relaxed loping.

John, I think the Progessors will fill that requirement just perfectly.  I found them to be incredibly versatile.  Unbelievable stability and composure at speed, and yet I could dipsy-doodle around on those and get playful without having to force them to do what I wanted.  BTW, I read your comment on the Icon TT80 and their easy release of the tail at the end of a turn -- I found the Progressors to be much the same.  So pleasant and effortless to turn.  All things considered, these were easily the best and most fun skis I have ever tried.  Unless something by Nordica or Head really blows me away, I am pretty sure I will be buying these.

Jim, you are right, all the skis were 70 to 75 in the waist -- Contact Cross 72mm; Contact 4x4 75mm; Mach 3 70mm; Progressor 9 70mm.  Considering the Mythics are 88 in the waist, this is the size range I have been focussing on as my second (and only other) pair.  ;D (not building a 3-ski quiver, and I do believe Gary is down to only 2 pairs....for the time being.....)  I will try the 78's and see how they perform.  The Progressors will be tough to knock off the podium, though.

Cheers,
Svend