Author Topic: Head Icon TT 80's  (Read 2223 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Head Icon TT 80's
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »
Jim. I own a pair of the SS Magnums. I like the Icons better. The turn radius is about the same on both in a 170, but as I mentioned, the tails release so much faster on the icons. This makes the ski a lot faster edge to edge. I also find the Icon more stable at speed especially in any turn that is silghtly wider than true slalom turns. Lastly, the Icon is a better bumps ski than either SS and it relates back to the tail. The tail on both SS's can be very hooky in bumps and it makes things quite a bit harder. Being able to release the tail at will in the bumps is essential.

So for me the Icon is a much more versatile ski. As well, as I have said, I have grown to dislike the hooky tail on the SS's and I find it a lot of work to do fast , quick slalom turns on them. Now if you don't take the Magnums into the bumps and you don't do fast slalom turns on them, you probably won't notice too much difference. I will say that I did not notice the difference until I got my RD slalom skis. I noticed immediately that I could do things on the RD's that I couldn't on my SS's.

At the end of the day both are excellent skis. I wouldn't be the skier I am today had I not owned a pair of Head SS's. It is still the sngle best tool for an intermediate skier to get immediate feedback from doing the proper carving movements.

As for your question on bike tires on crushed rock paths, I am of no value. I am only on ashpalt on my road bike and if I know I will be on something other than that, I will grab my MTN bike. Proof to Ron that some poeple can and will do both!!!