Author Topic: Another Sad Skiing Note  (Read 147 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Another Sad Skiing Note
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:48:54 pm »
CR Johnson died while skiing a chute at Squaw yesterday. He was wearing a helmet but hit rocks at too high a speed. Again I find it painful to see that yet another skier has stretched the envelope so far that they can no longer see where it starts and ends. I love skiing as much or more than anyone, but I will say what I say after every extreme skier death that is reported. If you have to consistently ski in no fall zones and/or ski lines that will result in death if you make a mistake, then you need to ask what is missing in your life!!! I take one look at my daughter every day and I know that she is enough. If I have her there really is nothing else that I need.

I don't think that CR johnson was married and I don't think he had any kids. But so many of the skiers dying do. It is all very sad!!

Here is the link to the ESPN story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/news/story?id=4944104

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Another Sad Skiing Note
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:56:19 am »
it is a very sad thing, he was a great skier for sure and a loss to the community. Sking for many isn't about playing it safe, its about pushing the envelope personally and experiencing the thrill in the beauty of nature. Not that I am an extreme skier (I am far from it)but after seven surgeries and other inuries, I have no desires to play it safe; in fact I feel I am just starting to push the envelope after sking too conservatively. I look at the mountain as big playground; risks are inherant and frankly, 2 friends (including Greg) have been injured in the past 2 weeks from run-ins with skiers on groomed runs. I will take my chances in trees and on the headwalls

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:37:18 am »
Ron is right about it being an individual decision, and this is true in all aspects of our lives, probably.? it is true in investing as well as in life, all of us have a different perspective on the amount of risk we are willing to expose ourselves to.? When I drive on trips, I drive about 10 miles per hour over the speed limit.? I have determined the risk of getting a ticket at that speed as an acceptable risk, driving 20 mph over the speed limit or driving erratically or under the influence are not acceptable risks.? Every time we get in a car or ski down a groomed slope we expose ourselves to a level of risk.

By Ron's standards, I probably am in the "playing it safe" group, but its ok for that to be my acceptable risk in that area.? I can ski at my level and in my way and enjoy being outdoors for another 15-20 years and never feel that I have missed anything by not pushing any envelopes, but I'm also not as young and athletic as Ron. (do people still ski at 80?)

;D ;D Riding a bicycle in downtown New York and across the Brooklyn Bridge is right at the limit of my acceptable risk. (Lynn, on the other had, dodged through that traffic like a hot knife through butter)? The white water rafting last summer, while dynamic and exciting, wasn't risky at all.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:41:19 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:40:50 am »
When people feel passionately about what they do and accept risk of injury or death in the performance of that activity, I don't think it right to impose my personal value system to judge the individual. I am sad to read about a patroller or a big line skier who dies doing what they do. We all make choices with respect to risk. I honor how they lived. I may not understand or agree why they chose a lifestyle, and, may have strong opinions about the impact of their actions on their families.

There is risk in the journey into a big mountain. Many of my friends think I'm somewhat insane or irresponsible. To a certain degree, I go there to live a life that I love. Some will understand, some never will.

RIP C.R. Johnson

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 11:04:45 am »
Nice Mike!  I think part of this is why the ski community is so tight. They all understand the what's, why's and risks but the alure of being in nature, the challenge of the line, the adrenelin and the sense of bortherhood/sisterhood is all worthwhile. It's like when we were up at targhee and the woman how we were enjoying our "vacation" I think we were all thinking "Vacation? no this is something we have to do.

Jim, I drive 72mph so I am a down-right "old-fogey"  ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:55:19 am »

Jim, I drive 72mph so I am a down-right "old-fogey"? ;D

Ron, YOU live in New Jersey.  You're living "on the edge" just getting in your car at all.  Lynn has told me all about New Jersey drivers.   ;D >:D
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:48:31 pm »
Jim, that's so funny because where I live in NJ (very rural) we always watch out of NY drivers! (although the PA drivers may actaully be a little worse, the NY drivers always seem to be lost on the highways and local streets.  we have a lot of historical areas so th NY'ers come out to the country each weekend...... ughhhhh