Author Topic: Trip Report for.....  (Read 131 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Trip Report for.....
« on: February 09, 2010, 06:56:23 pm »
HUNTAH!!!

A long planned day outing with my friend and ski buddy Irina.
Irina and I have done a few trips together in the past. A twin birth put the kibosh on much recent skiing the past couple of years.

Six weeks in the planning for our day outing at Hunter Mtn, in the Catskills of NY.

My first time there.
With trepidation.

I had heard the stories of horror. The lift lines, the icy conditions. The odd accents from Brooklyn, Bronx and New Joisey.

Okay, the first few lift rides WERE interesting.

I swear the first lift "mate" we encountered had an unmedicated case of severe Aspergers.
Trashing Russian skiers as hard as he could. (er, Irina is russian, 6Ft tall and quite gorgeous).
Though she DID agree with him (after he had skied off) that russians love to argue. I was embarrassed by my fellow New Yorker is all I can say. :-[

The lift lines were non existent. (thankfully, on a tuesday).
The conditions...surpri singly good for a largely snowless, east coast winter. Firm snow, well groomed and until 2pm, not too icy.
We explored the mountain, did almost all the runs except for K-27. Next time.

Not many moguls to play with. Those that were there were too icy for me to have fun with.
Overall, a much better day of skiing than I expected.

A quick walk thru the base lodge ski shop was interesting.
The Head Raptors 120 which Jim acquired for $299 plus shipping last month were "on sale" for $829.
And SS magnums were "on sale" for $1049 from the msrp of $1400. Let the buyer Beware, indeed!

The boots I have eyed, the Noridca Pro Hot Rod 115 was $699 which IS the best retail price I have seen for it. However, none in my size of 23 left.

Overall, a midweek trip to the infamous Hunter Mountain was a better experience than I expected. No fresh pow. No great bump runs. Just a lovely bluebird day with the promise of a big dump in the offing.

Promises, promises. ;D

L.
"Play it Sam"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Trip Report for.....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:10:19 am »
HUNTAH!!! The defining word of a NY skier. Brings back memories of riding the NY thruway in CB days. Hearing about bears taking pictures, and, foreign language speakers (read New Youk speak) skiing at HUNTAH!!! Philly people just drink "wooder" and say "youse".

Sounds like you had a pretty good midweek experience. ;D

We need to do an Elk day! Much more civilized.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:15:28 am »
ELK!  Yes, lets set it up

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:28:59 am »
I have tentative plans to ski at Elk next monday. Presidents Day.
I expect that most of the holiday crowds will be done with by then.

Any takers?
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:04:28 pm »
SOunds like a great fun day  Lynn....loaded with both pairs of skis and the camel back?  Hmmm ::)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:50:57 am »
Hunter mid week-especially when everything is up and running--is pretty great.  The bump runs on hunter west are as burly as anything south of Stowe-and the Catskills are a great little mountain range-so craggy and much younger than the Greens. 

A Saturday at Hunter is a wild thing to behold....