Author Topic: Watea 84 Review with a sampling of the 94  (Read 542 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Watea 84 Review with a sampling of the 94
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:02:30 pm »
Oh man it's been snowing a bunch here in western NY....just like I remember.

This past weekend Ron visited and we had a day at Greek Peak and 1 at Bristol. Greek Peak conditions were golf balls, hard pack, granular snow and tons of people on the one black/blue run they had open.....I skied the Head SS and Ron had his new C11's. Excellent 1st day on the snow, training day.

The big day of the weekend was Sunday at Bristol. I went to the mountain to ride the Watea 84's. Having skied the Head 82's last season, I was anxious to make a comparison. I was thrilled with Michaels review and couldn't wait to make my first run. Ron brought his Watea 94's.....we were meaning to work out the bugs.

Well, the conditions were ideal for us.  The terrain was black for the first 700 vertical and blue for the remaining 500. It was 19 degrees, soft boot high snow. We arrived at 2 hours past opening so the entire run was 1-2 ft high soft bumps with hard pack in some areas.

Watea 84: From the first glide off the chair, the skis felt centered, stable and tracked straight. I did have the bindings mounted 1 centimeter forward and would highly reccommend it.  My ski is the 176 length. As I headed for the top of the run, I started some carve turns using tipping and counter moves and this ski comes up on edge so easy....and holds that edge well. It really skis way smaller than it's grith is. It's very quick under foot, light but solid. The shovel and tail felt stable and the tail released with enough energy when I wanted it to. As soon as I started into the soft snow, I knew I had made the right decision by purchasing this ski. The shovel complies and turns exactly where you point it, it's soft enough that it doesn't throw you in the back seat when hitting the uphill side of the bump. This ski is SO easy to bring around during turn initiation. I think anyone from intermediate to expert skier could really enjoy the versatility of this ski. Even on the hard pack between the bumps, the edge held solid. This is a much easier ski to ski in these conditions than the IM82....much more forgiving and more compliant.

Today: I went to the mountain solely to ski the Wateas again. Temperature 22 degrees, 2" of fresh snow on the mountain and not many people there. I worked on short swing turns along the broken piled up snow on the trail edge and medium turns out on the hard pack. For a ski with a 18 meter turning radius, you'll keep asking yourself....someone must have miscalulated that radius....they turn that quick and easy.
This ski again performs outstanding in both these turns and one notch above the 82's. But, when I found some space to unleash some demon speed, the 84's showed a slight weakness.....the shovels chatter at high speeds where the 82's keep asking....is that all you got. Realistically, I didn't buy the 84's for those kind of speeds....that's what my Head SS are for.....but that really was the only area the Head 82's took a leg up.
Next I hope to be able to get into some knee high snow sometime out west this season and got a feeling the Watea 84's will be nearly the perfect package.

Sidebar: Watea 94's....Ron and I swapped skis on the same run mentioned above. I was flabbergasted how nimble a ski with a 94 waist and 130 shovel can be. Ron also has his binding mounted 1 centimer forward. This was a 178 length and I thing it's turning radius is around 21meters....and for sure, you would not know it. I had to look down a couple of times to make sure I wasn't back on my 84's. The 94's were so smooth in the crud, easy to maneuver in the bumps and came up strong on edge on the hardpack. Again, one dynamite ski. For those of you in the 170 lb plus range....this is an outstanding choice. If I was skiing some sick waist high snow....it would be my choice.

If you get a chance, give them both a ride....you won't be sorry.

Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Watea 84 Review with a sampling of the 94
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 01:00:20 pm »
well said, and i have to add:

Watea 84. This ski is just fantastic! It was as gary said, smooth, nimble and so light underfoot. This ski excelled in the bumps and soft pushed snow. Skis more like it was a 72mm wide ski. Off the scale on the fun factor. This is a great example of the difference in a softer flexing ski (tip to waist) over a stiff board like the 82.

Watea 94. My new favorite ski. This ski was just plain fun. Who would have thought a 94mm wide ski would handl bumps so well? light, quick, nimble, stable, good edge hold and you could swear it's a 80mm wide board. Perfect flex for me and I can see myself using this 80% of the time in Steamboat.

Contact Limited (same as the 11). Another fantastic ski touted by Micheal. It is a fun carving, stable ski with lots of snappy energy and a great feel underfoot. A blast on the hardpack, just not a great boiler plate ski.

Barrettscv

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 02:28:41 pm »
Hi Gary & Ron,

I will confess that the Watea 84 was just as you said, including the tip bounce that you noticed. It was less pronounced at the longest length for me.

I think Fischer and few other manufactures want a soft tip for soft snow and the ski will tip bounce on hardpack. Fischer has the very good & very beefy "Heat" skis for on-piste high speed carving. The Wateas are more for soft snow and easier to use.

It did not cause me to slow down, I just skied as I normally would.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 02:31:46 pm by Barrettscv »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:07:42 pm »
Right on Michael...performs for 90% of what I need that ski for.

Happy as Powder Pigs in knee high champage fluff!

Can't wait!
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 01:50:01 pm »
Agreed, that is a perfect exampl eof right ski for the right conditions The Heat line is more hard snow biased, the Watea line is more soft snow biased, that was my point over at epic but I don't think it was acknowledged. Niether the 84, nor the 94 is really intended for all mountain skiing in east coast conditions. Out west, they are near perfect skis.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 05:51:35 pm »
True as my tunes..... I was looking on the Fischer site seeing if they had a  ladies version of the Watea for my little lady...spmething about 72-74...no such luck.

and saw where the Heat is just as you said ROn...

How could they doubt you on that other site...shame!

G