Author Topic: selling skis  (Read 131 times)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
selling skis
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:11:40 pm »
Gary et al.
 I see that you and Ron have sold skis here and on Epic.  Do you find that that is your simplest method to sell an old but still usable ski?

I have some Head IM 75 170cm and K2 5500 escape 174cm that I never ski on anymore.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: selling skis
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 06:50:44 am »
perry, dont bother posting skis here,  I sell all of mine (and Garys) on EPIC. To sell them, you have to price them  right and have pictures.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 07:03:16 am »
P...ditto what Ron said....

The other thought, talk to people at your local mountain or put up a sign over the urinal on the weekend. The sign won't last but it may be up long enough for someone to be interested.

If you have a local shopiping guide that allows classified...you can try that too.

Finally, put up a sign in your waiting room or on the table with all the magazines....hey..y a never know!

G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:15:28 am »
Perry,
If you still own them next fall, look for a local ski shop that has a consignment sale. In the past 2 years, Philpug sold 4 paris of my older skis in that type event. But as Ron states, price sells. Ski gear just depreciates and your bucks have long slipped away. Expect to pay a sales commission or get a full store credit. Don't be emotionally attached to skis. You should see the golf clubs in my basement. I laugh like crazy when I look at Craig's list Philly to see how much people want for CRAP. (Try a local Craig's List if avilable.)

Give Epic a try, nothing to loose. Good pics, right prices and something may get done.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 07:45:25 am »
good advice Mike!  SKis hold their max value for 2 seasons, after that they aren't worth much.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 05:32:00 pm »
thanks all,
the Craig's list idea is a good one.  I wasn't expecting to get much for them.  After all, everybody wants Kastle's  >:D...........and I too have more golf clubs than any reasonable person should. 

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:41:47 am »
Perry,

Philpug would be able to give some guidelines for pricing point where skis move. Both sets of your skis should have appeal to upgrade bargain hunters, returning skiers or teenagers moving up. Try marketing them to that audience. The set sold this year did not sell at the first sale, so we lowered the price. Phil just looks for the right situation and found a big guy returning to skiing.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:14:25 pm »
So Mike and Phil,
Are you getting dumped on???????????.  The map is real blue and very big over the Poconos.  Give us a snow total and something juicy like a run in knee deep. :o

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:35:39 pm »
Perry,
Let you know tomorrow morning as it has not started. Unlike last weekend, only 16", there will be major wind with predicted 18" to 24". My ski racing clinic at Blue scheduled for tomorrow has been canceled for the week.

Skiing Pow =  ;D

Shoveling Pow =  >:(

Blue Mtn. this Friday