Author Topic: It's Ron and Alices fault  (Read 861 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: It's Ron and Alices fault
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 10:39:59 am »
Friday morning, skiing with Jackson native Stephen McDonald, 10 inches of new powder, Dog Faces off of the Sublette chair. Run is marked closed (no ropes). It has been skied by one person. 30 great turns in knee high powder. The run ends in what you see, 15 feet or so above an access road. Climb down 6 inches at a time, or, spend the winter.

First JH poach, at least, that I remember.

Do it again, you bet!

Mike, we saw that off of the Sublette chair skiing down that small headwall. It was roped off but on Thursday i am thinking there was a good foot plus so you guys hit that just right. Nice......   

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 10:45:38 am »
Gary, I'm glad you love the MX 78. I don't own the P8's but the P9's, but I have to disagree about the skis being equal on groomed. My P9's just rock on the groomed and there is no 78mm waisted ski that can do what they can do on hard snow. I agree 100% that the MX 78 is way better off piste. And for a 78mm waisted ski. I'm sure it rocks on harder snow, but I know it won't do what a P9 can do. Is the P9 that much better than the P8 with top end performance, maybe but I doubt it.

The point that I agree with is that some companies (Kastle, Head, Stockli and at times Fischer) are making some midfats that have super hard snow performance and are also reasonably forgiving off piste. I am the guy that for years hated mid fats and I now own several. Yes, there is definitely a place in the quiver for these skis!!

Look at the pics below, no 78mm ski will do this on a 35-40 degree pitch like this!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 11:07:47 am »
Nice John, but that ain't no 35-40 pitch!?I would say that's closer to 20 degrees, note the ptich behind you doesn't even come close to being over your head(standing).? there's no vertical drop there. Looks like a very sweet blue cruiser for sure- and very nice skiing too. ?;D ;D ;D

Mike pic is about 40 degree.

This is just over 40,? ?this is my friend in front of me in La Parva

a little more than 40? La chiminea in La Parva

This is on a cruiser used by the olympic teams for GS practice @ Valle Nevada? I am on 111 underfoot- does this count??Icelantic Nomad sft's 146-111-136 ;D

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:48:42 am by Ron »

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 12:05:17 pm »
Now I was there and you were not. You can tell nothing from one angle on a photo. Photos in general make pitch seem like less unless you get it from the exact right angle (and from below will never make a pitch seem severe). I am telling you that the pitch is over 35 degrees. I ski it all the time.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 12:22:14 pm »
Hmmm...not getting into the pitch thing cause my "pitchometer" is broken...

I first must ask you:

1) J have you skied the MX78?

2) I believe I can carve tracks like that on groom snow with my MX78, "I have done this, you do not want to say this unless you see this...you don't mess with the Zohan".. :D

Having a strong background with the Head SS and my P8's...I find the MX 78's are magically delicious with their progressive 16 meter turning radius..I know they turn tighter than 16.

I've personally come to the conclusion to never say never when it comes to gear....heck...I thought I'd never own a pair of rockers and today I'm smiln' all over powder days.

If you can J, demo a pair on a groomer day....I can say I was totally blown away. I actuall was carving some pretty serious arcs with Ron's 175 MX78's....the first pair I tried.

It's not your typical 78 underfoot..."belive me, I know this"...oh yea....love that movie...

THe Zohan

Nice skiing J.. sweet use of the uphill edges!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:29:14 pm by Gary »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 12:22:35 pm »
as long as you think so. No way no how. 35-40 is winch-cat territory, please provide the name of the run and the resort.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:29:26 pm by Ron »

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 12:57:14 pm »
Dude, don't tell me about things that you know nothing!!! If you come to my home mountain and ski it then you can make a comment. Until then you are only blowing smoke out your rear.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 01:13:04 pm »
John, I am pretty well-versed about steeps and degree of pitches. Your skiing is excellent.  Enjoy.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 01:23:08 pm »
My point is that you can tell nothing from a photo. I have seen Harald Harb ski the hardest bumps at Loveleand where the pitch is 35-45 degrees and on photos and Video it looks like a beginner slope. depth pereception is altered on camarea. I have been to the Masters where you have to see the undulations on the green in person as they look modest at best on TV. I'm not syaing that you have never been on a 40 degree pitch. What I am saying is that you can't tell from a phto what is or is not especially on groomed terrain. from below with nothing in the backgrowund that adds to depth perception.

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 01:44:14 pm »
Dude, don't tell me about things that you know nothing!!! If you come to my home mountain and ski it then you can make a comment. Until then you are only blowing smoke out your rear.

Wow, post of the year, so far...

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 01:46:12 pm »

Wow, post of the year, so far...

no, that was! 

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 01:55:34 pm »
Hmmm....I've played golf at Holiday Valley Ski and Golf resort..

THose ski slopes are pretty nasty to hold a golf ball let me tell ya.....

But hey....it's golf and who cares.....you swing, the ball flies....simple!

Now....JB...I'm sending you my Kastle MX78's to ski on your terrain of choice....oh yeah.....please send one first class ticket to accompny the skis....I'll gladly pay the ski shipping cost.  ;D
Best,
G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 02:38:20 pm »
back to the OP- credit or blame should also be put on Phil, he's the one who got this whole party started...... Neither me or LP would be on them today
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:51:07 pm by Ron »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 05:02:58 pm »
Guys,
Saturday Night Live lives! __________ you ignorant ****. :o

I'm a little confused.

Kastle makes a RX70 which is roughly the equal of the Progressor 9. I demo'd the RX70 at 170, very nice ski with all the feedback of it's big brothers the 78 and 88. Make no mistake, that ski leaves RR tracks in a tighter radius than the 78. Is there really any dispute about turning radius on a groomer between a 70 and 78 ski made by Fischer or Kastle?

Skiing the 78 may approach the feedback and feeling of a 70. Gary, make your best 78 turns on a steep groomer, give Alice a camera and ask her take pics of your tracks taken from below. See what it tells you.

In John's photo's it is very difficult to make an objective assessment of the slope. The fact that it's groomed suggests something less steep and we don't see super steep pitches groomed much. If John states it's really steep, I'm not going to quibble about slope and I respect the tracks.

In Ron's photo's the steepness is more obvious, but, there are no RR tracks.? I remember last week in Targhee, the team dropped into a steep called "The Good". Nobody left RR tracks there, but, it was bumped up. If it were groomed, I still don't think I would have seen RR tracks. Ron, next time your at the Boat, take a pic of your tracks on a any steep groomer and compare them to Johns. Somehow, I don't think your trying to say the turning radius will be matched.

Say what you will, side by side, real time comparisons are the only way to know. Let's chill a little.

What the team needs is a bonding session in Big Sky. That area is the only one I'd abandon JH to ski.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 05:31:26 pm by LivingProof »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 05:34:06 pm »
Guys,
Saturday Night Live lives!
What the team needs is a bonding session in Big Sky. That area is the only one I'd abandon JH to ski.

Okay!! I'll be there last week of february.  ;D
Though am not a guy.   :-[

I will be scouting out Big SKy for next year. I know Jim wants to go there. :D
"Play it Sam"