Author Topic: It's Ron and Alices fault  (Read 862 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
It's Ron and Alices fault
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:29:33 am »
Gesh...I've tried to be good...I purchased the JJ's this season and loved them in the powder and brokend snow...great fun and quick ski...sweet.

Alice purchased the Kastle MX78's last year and sings their praises every time she's out on them...loves them for sure in all conditions. Although in the shin to knee high pow we had yesterday I convinced her to demo a pair of Atomic Heaven & Hell, 99mm underfoot and she had a blast, floating in pow and broken snow all day. SHe found she could relax much more on the fatter ski in those conditions.

Ok...so Ron said "try my MX 78's" ...he said he honestly can enjoy skiing groomers again..he found them? quick, solid in broken snow and bumps and I said "nah...I'm ok on my Progessor P8's"...he kept insiisting, I kept saying "nah..I'm ok."..

Welll....my weakness to try new gear gave into the taunthing and temptation...I tried his MX78's in the 175 length...and wow...

Not let me explain the "wow"....on groomed snow, turn for turn...I feel both skis are darn right equal.
Now here's the but: when it's broken snow, crud and even some pow...there's no question about it the MX78's rule...crowned king...no doubt.? So just to be sure I rented a piair in the 168 length mounted with the Marker Griffon binding, no plate and was blown away how much smoother they wore in the conditions above....light years smoother. I even skied them in shin high to knee high pow and such a great 2 footed platform......could not manage the P8's in those conditions nearly as well.? I'm sure it has to due with the constrution but also, it was 78 underfoot with a turning radius of 16 mm....which I know turns tighter than that because of a progressive sidecut.

Bottom line...with 2 skis in my quivver, the MX78 now loaded in my ski tube for safe travel home, provides a greater span of on snow versatility than did the P8's given where, what and how I ski.

Gesh....I'd like to say I'm done but as my skiing evolution both in gear and ski skills grows, the purchase maybe initially painful....but to me, it's all worth it in the end. Now...I've got skis to sell....

Best,
G
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:32:46 am by Gary »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: It's Ron and Alices fault
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:47:58 am »
You're RIGHT!
It is all Ron and Alices' fault. :o

I can see how they "forced" you to buy new skis.
Your arm must hurt from all the pressure applied.? >:D
Right or left? Did they leave the reconstructed arm alone??

Sounds like all had a blast at JH.
Those of us only reading are jealous,jealous, and a mite bit envious too. ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:31:37 pm by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:37:41 pm »

Ron:  (er, I mean Gary, the similarities confuse me).

How long did you own those Progressors???  Inquiring minds want to know.  You did ski them at least once, right?  RIGHT?

Jim

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:07:59 am »
Jim,
It may actually be partly your fault as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You know that little stash of powder that you showed me on Friday at the beginning of the run on the left...........well, I showed Gary that run and he bogged one of his Progressors and it threw him on his head!!!!!!!!! >:D  I knew right then that they may be short listed for the trade pile.

So, Ron, Alice, Jim...............h ummmmmmmmmm, who else could have conspired?

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:51:44 am »
Lynn..it was a vicious headlock...and a noogie....so painful. AND yes. finally at JH...by Monday and including Monday of skiing 6 days of groomers there were grumbles of buying tickets and going home.  Enough of the groom snow and firm bumps. We did find mini stashes of snow along the edges and in the trees but we were done with that. AND then...Monday night it snowed about 7 " and it snowed more each day. By Friday we had accumulated nearly 21" of pow. It varied day to day from wet pow to a  lighter pow...not the champage type but it was wonderful, playful and sooooo much fun.

Hmmm.. Jim..I skied the P8's at the end of last season after returning my Head SS to the factory...the camber had run away. Yup....sad as it sounds....it's evolution baby!

AND PERRY... >:D it was mostly your fault...your run was the clincher now that I think of it. Ok gang, we were skiing with a large group and had just finished skiing Bear Claw and it was sweet. Perry "Daniel Boone" had scouted out an "aweomse powder run" and lead this pow starved group to it's secret location. I was skiing near the back of the group came over a rise looking ahead and saw 5" of powder. Man I straight lined my skis feeling like PAC MAN looking to gooble up new lines in pow. Well 15 feet in I went to turn and I felt my left ski release and I got launched back and head first about a gazillion feet landing on my noggin..oooo...ouch ...landed sore neck hard for 3 days!  :'(  Your probably are right Perry, that defining momment was the clincher.  ::)

Perry WAS the anchor man in those that "forced" me to acquire 78 underfoot. You devious, coniving group of scoundrals.  ;) I can't thank all of you enough.

Best,
G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 08:07:18 am »
Gary,
Gotta call a little b.s. on the Subject Line. It's more like "Thanks to Ron & Alice"!  :-*

You got a small taste and Kastle lust took over. I saw the grin, I heard the gushing.

I think you made a good decision to modify the quiver. The gap beteen the Fischer and the JJ is too big. You go west frequently and the 78 will be a great everyday ski.

I saw some of the rock'in you did on the MX78 just a few days ago. Sweet it was, as I remember it. Alice was rock'in too. Her skiing in JH was at much higher level than I remembered, but that was mostly 2 years ago.

Mike

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 08:50:09 am »
Yes Mike but will the gushing ever end?  Are we doomeed to sell and buy and mostly buy?

Ok.....you're right...the skis are wicked right and do more efficiently fill the gap in my quivver.

AND yes...that ski is mystically good....the stabilty and versatility of 78 underfoot....the carveability of that ski....Yup.....I became a believer.

Alice...wow...I will pass along your comments and would totally agree. Her skiing level had really gone up and I truly believe due to CSM.

Thanks again,
G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 09:59:12 am »
This is what skiing is about folks!? Mike was rockin' last week.?

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 02:35:59 pm »
Jump Mikey Jump!

Check the bottoms of those 88's .....

Nice pitch!

G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 03:19:23 pm »
Friday morning, skiing with Jackson native Stephen McDonald, 10 inches of new powder, Dog Faces off of the Sublette chair. Run is marked closed (no ropes). It has been skied by one person. 30 great turns in knee high powder. The run ends in what you see, 15 feet or so above an access road. Climb down 6 inches at a time, or, spend the winter.

First JH poach, at least, that I remember.

Do it again, you bet!

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 04:33:45 pm »
Jump Mikey Jump!

Check the bottoms of those 88's .....

Nice pitch!

G

LP
Be very, very careful what advice you take of Gary's!!
He might just be looking for another pair of "post accident" Kastles on the cheap! ;)

Looks like an amazing adventure.  ;D

L.
"Play it Sam"

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:16 pm »
LP - talk about your extreme drifting!!!!!!

Where's the picture of the knee high tracks - I'm betting that one would be sweet.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 07:04:48 am »
LP - talk about your extreme drifting!!!!!!

Where's the picture of the knee high tracks - I'm betting that one would be sweet.

Perry,
Even if it was a bluebird day perfect for pics, which is certainly was not, I wasn't stopping that run for anything. Wahoo!

Lynn,
Would our Gary ever stoop to such a low level as to covet my 88's? If he ever did, he'd probably blame it on Alice or Ron again. At lunch one day, I thought I saw him outside hugging them when his stated intent was to go to the "facilities". On second thought, must have been some other guy in a bright blue Spyder jacket.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 07:22:49 am »
Lynn have you no shame, no mercy, no clear understanding of innocence... >:D

Mike....I didn't know that before the rocks there was deep pow.....oh yeah man...of course you would ski it again...

AND oh by the way......I wasn't just hugging your skis..... >:D

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 07:37:53 am »
Jhole is real skiing for sure, lots of situations where you have to just stop, look at the line and do what is needed to get out. THat's part of the fun for sure, mike is right there jumping in! The rocks aren't really as bada as they seem as long as you ht them from the side for the most part. You cant let some exposed stop you from enjoying the goods. It becomes a team sport at times where you are discussing the best approach and line. Good Fun! ?As far as knee high pow, would you stop and take pics??? ? ;D ?there was thigh and waist high shots on Friday and Saturday, here are some pics from EPIC - ?

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/90739/tr-jackson-hole-1-17-24-10/0 ?