Author Topic: A tale of 3 Kastle's and a Head  (Read 520 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
A tale of 3 Kastle's and a Head
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:21:59 am »
Friday, Phil and I headed up to Elk for their annual demo day. Phil had about 8 pair of Kastle's so that their rep could offer a full line of skis for people to ski. We were able to park high on the mountain at the demo area. Phil said to leave my skis in his car and just demo all day. Great idea when the car is loaded with Kastles. :-* I'm loving this idea. Three inches of new snow was a little treat. A quick report out.

Kastle RX 70 - 170? ?This is their eastern frontside carver. I should like this ski because it's me as a skier (think turner not cruiser). From the first turns, I am smiling big time ;D ;D. Ski is quiet, smooth, edges easily, holds. PMTS'ers go demo this ski. Two runs on a 1000 ft hill and I'm loving it. Later, Phil skied it in a small bump run with me behind him. Think he turns his 88's quick, see him turn these puppies.

Kastle MX 78 - 178? ?This is going to become the classic 78. Just like it's little brother the 70 as a turner with the added stability of a 78. Quiet, stable, good edge on harder snow. If I have to chase Phil down a mountain, these skis would get me as close as possible.? I may not be a great reviewer, but, I know what I like.. and I like this ski a lot. Would I spend the $$$$ and trade in my Monster 78 for it...no the Monster is a good ski.

Head Icon 80 - 170? ? This is one ski I really wanted to demo as HH said a lot of good things about it. (calm down Ron) Go and reread my thoughts about the RX70 and the same applies. A cousin to the Supershape that is my daily driver, with a wider waist and narrow tail. More of a cruiser, more suited to bumps than the Shape. i took this ski into my first real bump run in the past year, and, it got me through well enough to say it's a bump ski, driven by a very rusty bump skier.

A side trip. Head and Kastle skies are made in the same factory in Austria. The Head rep states the RX 70 should be good as it shares similar technology to the Head's. The Kastle team states different designers, different machines make them. Go figure. My read is there has to be some cross pollination going on, the skis are just too much alike and that's good for us skiers.

Kastle FX 88 178   My review is simple. I put my money where my mouth is and bought it. In an 88 format, skis just like it's little brothers. On some deteriorating eastern hardpack and ice, it did it all. Took two bump runs, in smaller training bump sizes, and the ski just helped me get better immediately. Stable, carver, quiet. It will be my western and spring ski with a lot of daily driving in between.

In summary, demo'ing 6 pairs in a day is not going to provide any depth. The runs tend to be cruisers and they really don't get put through their range. But, one Kastle skeptic is now a believer. And the Icon rocks too!

I also demo's the Kastle 84 and Fischer Watea 84 and comments are offered in John Botti's review of the Kastle 84.

The management of the Living Proof Trust wants all to know that it has counciled  it's primary ski analyst to delay cutely worded comments about fat skis until he has actually experienced whatever it is they have to offer.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:41:42 am by LivingProof »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: A tale of 3 Kastle's and a Head
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:24:36 am »
ncie write up Mike!  Well done. Kastle folks are being rather adament that they are just sharing space and nothing else!  We'll see.

Funny thing is this, you ended up with a mid-fat, i ended up with a skinny ski!  AND we both love them.   Mine made me actaully enjoy my day on groomed snow!  ;D

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:49:01 am »
Friday, Phil and I headed up to Elk for their annual demo day. Phil had about 8 pair of Kastle's so that their rep could offer a full line of skis for people to ski. We were able to park high on the mountain at the demo area. Phil said to leave my skis in his car and just demo all day. Great idea when the car is loaded with Kastles. :-* I'm loving this idea. Three inches of new snow was a little treat. A quick report out.

Kastle RX 70 - 170? ?This is their eastern frontside carver. I should like this ski because it's me as a skier (think turner not cruiser). From the first turns, I am smiling big time ;D ;D. Ski is quiet, smooth, edges easily, holds. PMTS'ers go demo this ski. Two runs on a 1000 ft hill and I'm loving it. Later, Phil skied it in a small bump run with me behind him. Think he turns his 88's quick, see him turn these puppies.

Kastle MX 78 - 178? ?This is going to become the classic 78. Just like it's little brother the 70 as a turner with the added stability of a 78. Quiet, stable, good edge on harder snow. If I have to chase Phil down a mountain, these skis would get me as close as possible.? I may not be a great reviewer, but, I know what I like.. and I like this ski a lot. Would I spend the $$$$ and trade in my Monster 78 for it...no the Monster is a good ski.

Head Icon 80 - 170? ? This is one ski I really wanted to demo as HH said a lot of good things about it. (calm down Ron) Go and reread my thoughts about the RX70 and the same applies. A cousin to the Supershape that is my daily driver, with a wider waist and narrow tail. More of a cruiser, more suited to bumps than the Shape. i took this ski into my first real bump run in the past year, and, it got me through well enough to say it's a bump ski, driven by a very rusty bump skier.

A side trip. Head and Kastle skies are made in the same factory in Austria. The Head rep states the RX 70 should be good as it shares similar technology to the Head's. The Kastle team states different designers, different machines make them. Go figure. My read is there has to be some cross pollination going on, the skis are just too much alike and that's good for us skiers.

Kastle FX 88 178? ?My review is simple. I put my money where my mouth is and bought it. In an 88 format, skis just like it's little brothers. On some deteriorating eastern hardpack and ice, it did it all. Took two bump runs, in smaller training bump sizes, and the ski just helped me get better immediately. Stable, carver, quiet. It will be my western and spring ski with a lot of daily driving in between.

In summary, demo'ing 6 pairs in a day is not going to provide any depth. The runs tend to be cruisers and they really don't get put through their range. But, one Kastle skeptic is now a believer. And the Icon rocks too!

I also demo's the Kastle 84 and Fischer Watea 84 and comments are offered in John Botti's review of the Kastle 84.

The management of the Living Proof Trust wants all to know that it has counciled? it's primary ski analyst to delay cutely worded comments about fat skis until he has actually experienced whatever it is they have to offer.

MX88..Mike....MX.  ;)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:59:33 am »
220-221.....

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:25:20 pm »