Author Topic: JJ part DEUX  (Read 543 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
JJ part DEUX
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:05:39 pm »
THis Long weekend...great carving conditions for the P8's on Friday and Saturday.
sunday Sunday SUNDAY..it snowed 4-6" overnight, still snowing when I arrived at 7:30 and until I left at Noon.

Temp....10 degrees, wind gust 20-30 mph, snow guns blowing everywhere.
Snow Conditions: Blown slab crusty snow mixed with natural falling snow.

It was time to take out the JJ's.

First run on a blue groomer with packed powder,blown snow, all previously groomed before the mountain opened. I took an easy run and tested the surefootedness of the JJ's. They were very solid.

Then there it was, Metor, ungroomed, 1-3 foot bumps. Here's where the JJ's came alive. These skis crush through around over? bumps like no ski I've skied before. I can see why people call them cheater skis. I did not once have to think about the texture of the snow and how it might affect my skis. Just point and shoot, simple as that, they ride over the crud, the slab, the broken snow and turn extremely quick. The snow guns were the only annoying factor on that run freezing over my goggles...Why they do that on a snowing day is nuts...but hey, I have a daytime job. I made one run carrying a lot of speed and thinking oh boy...I'm going to bite it..but my JJ's kept plowing through, absorbing and sucking up all the terrain giving me time to catch up with them.....Phew...ama zing!

I decided to head to the other black run open, Rocket. The snow on the skiers left was broken, deep boot high slab powder bumps. I played between the towers and the tree line and it was heaven. The JJ's were right at home turn and churning with ease, I mean short turns, medium and long turns. These skis rock...but let me qualify that..

The want to be skied 2 footed. If you are big toe dominent, this is NOT the ski for you. 60 40, 50 40, 70 30, is what these skis thrive on. I found if I wanted a quick turn and was to jam on the downhill big toe edge, that ski turns on a dime...love that for emergency bail outs. They also want to be skied with body centered and stacked with slight pressure against the shins.There, you can drive all day long with subtle fore aft movements.
Had the chance to open them up on a groomed pack powder run and I could not believe I was on 115 underfoot....both skis working together, carving...very versitle, very sweet. As with some Rockers I've seen there can be a lot of tip flap...NOT with the JJ's.....the Austrians built a beauty.

I know there are more chapters to report, like a deep knee high powder day but so far, these skis are a dream for this 2 footed skier.? Best, Gary
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:26:12 pm by Gary »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: JJ part DEUX
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:40:03 am »
Ahh, the joys of fat skis!? Yes, they are so much fun.? Not for everyone but certainly for me!? ;D? You can ski them big toe dominant, as long as you ski them equally strong with opposite little toe ;D? (MEANING both feet) -- they are two foot musts unless you are uber skier and can actaully control the result of hooking up one edge at a time.? The tip flap is an issue for hard pack and some of larger rockers like a HB with 20/40 rockers. I am pretty sure the JJ is about a 10/20 or there about and with their milti-dmeninsional sidecut, its an ideal design.? Unless its real hardpack, it shouldn't be an issue- but them again, wrong tool for that job.? I am actually more interested to see you ski them on a 4-6" day of real powder.? I think you will see what I have been saying that they bring a different experience to the game. The 4-6" will ski more like a foot, giving you that effortless feeling that you really want from skiing powder. Since they do give more float, you won't be bottoming out like on narrow boards. It just makes the powder experience much sweeter even on light snowfalls.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:38:13 am by Ron »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 08:53:43 am »
Well if you can see that we get 4-6 everyday at Aspen and JH.....I and me JJ"s would be might pleased!

Thanks Ron,
G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 10:08:25 am »
I am actually thinking that as long as we get fresh on the 14th I will be fine, you will be in clinic and I can use your JJ's free-skiing powder lines all day......... ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 01:04:52 pm »
oooooo.....no special ski blessings please... >:D

AND the big snow I predict will come in on the evening of the 14th for a big snow day on the 15th...

Or...I'lll take big snow on the 14th too....ALL DAY>>>ALL NIGHT>>>BIG SNOW>>>YES!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:22:05 pm »
early to bed, very early to rise makes a man want steal his buddies boards on a powder day...... ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 03:00:31 pm »
Oh I see..so that's how were playing hmmm...

JJ's will be accompanying ALice and I to bed. So it's JJ, Alice and Me....

I know there's a joke in there.....I await the assault!  ;D

Anything to keep foul little footies to go a early hiking with my JJ's.

G   ;D

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 03:45:46 pm »
Yet again, you two have wet my appetite for another ski.   Now let's see, make note to add Armada JJ to list of ski's I would like to have.  ;D  I am just going to have to get off my butt and sell the two pair of skis that I am not using and put some cash in the ski kitty.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 04:32:00 pm »

G? ?;D

Well, what do you expect??
All the innuendo in these threads.
 Words being bandied about like" suppleness, responsive, damp".
Then you come out and TELL everyone you are having a "menage a ski" with your JJ's.

And expect no one to make comment??? >:D >:D
I have No ability to resist temptation. ;D

"Play it Sam"

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:42:12 pm »

I know there's a joke in there.....I await the assault!? ;D

Anything to keep foul little footies to go a early hiking with my JJ's.

G? ?;D

G,
Again, and for the record, If I have the choice between going to bed with Alice or JJ's, the JJ's will spend a very cold, lonely night on the frezzin' porch in JH. And I don't ?care how much fresh snow is fall'in on em all night.

Spent today on the Supershapes at Blue. They, too, rock!

Not dissin the JJ's, but they are not blue and red with a big red S in the middle of a yellow triangle.

Not want'in to get in any wars, but, the next time you have a bad day on snow and blame it on your skis, please post it here. G, you've a) never had a bad day on snow, b)never had a day when you did not have this big-ass grin on your face, and c)never had a day when I would not want to be making turns with you.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:10 am »
Perry.....we live to serve...I love to write and talk about a "skiers evolution"..Having personally found my desire to ski more terrain, I've attempted to better my ski skills....add the 2 together...and different skis, more applications, easier on body and a hoot more fun to ski. We will be sharing those kinds of stories and adventures next week for sure.

Yes Lynn...I have opened the door to those with wicked, rockered minds....yes indeed...menge a ski huh....not bad!
What will we call it was that you had with your boots Lynn?? ?>:D

Now there Mike down boy....dI fortunately don't have to make that choice cause Ron is allowed to take my gear out without me stressing.....AND if I had to, the JJ's would be on the floor NEXT to my bed..jesh Mike, everthing so literally....now go try some fat skis will ya!

Mike, you're crackn' me up....thanks my brother...you got my number down cold!
JH is getting great snow now....finally..... best, g
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:38:09 am by Gary »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 08:49:52 am »
Hmm, Mike raises a couple questions:

1- sleep with your buddies wife or steal his skis?
ANSWER: this is an easy one, steal his skis, wife sees how much better you ski them, she sleeps with you....

2- ski blue on hardpack, icy golf balls on SS's or JJ's
ANSWER: this is a clever but easy question, the answer is if you have to ski it at all, ski it on your friends ski regardless of what they are but in this case, JJ's aren't for that kind of nightmare scenario so I would just ski Mikes SS;s- If I had to, Now then, the second part of the answer is - I choose not to ski on icy golf balls. 

Lynn- Don't drag me into the Gary freak-show!  My suppleness was an accurate description of the Kastle,-  I am little disturbed that gary has chosen a male ski (JJ is named after two male skiers) to take part in his fantasy.........

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 08:58:04 am »
Jesh...I'm locking my bedroom door....

yes ROn no one likes to ski icy golf balls and it may be best to get breakfast and talk about your buddies skis or wife but hey, if those icy balls are on the way to a powder run.....race ya!  ::)

AND Finally Ron....Don't you have Joan of Arc on your Grims.....?? She carries a sword Ron....

Ok...MY JJ's stand for Josaphine and Julliett....have no idea what you're incinuating Ron...

Can't we all just get a long and ski behind me...thank you!  >:D

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 09:18:17 am »
i will let you ski in front to break trail on the flats any day........ and then jumping in...... ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:11 am »
You are TOO kind! Just don't be breaking wind in front of me.... >:D

I've got your number buster....I'm putting a bell on your ski jacket...!

G