Author Topic: Harb Campers - Give it UP!  (Read 443 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Harb Campers - Give it UP!
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:40:16 am »
Trolling for some posts about the recent camp with Harald. What's the experience like. Did you improve?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Harb Campers - Give it UP!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:07:12 pm »
Hmmm.? Should wait for Lynn since she is a much better writer than me.

Did I improve at the camp?? Maybe a little bit!? Will I improve more through the winter as I practice and implement what they were teaching?? Yes.? 8)? I can't put my finger on exactly why, but the whole progression began to make more sense to me this year, rather than merely being drills aimed at a achieving today's focus.? Lynn (and Gary and Ron and Phil) had been telling me for a long time that I needed to be more flexed, more forward and in more of what Gary calls his "attack" position.? This is finally tangible for me; I know what to look for in videos (if Lynn will be so kind as to take pictures).? In fact, that was a big focus for me at camp last year in February. This year I think I finally got it.? Upper body should basically be parallel with the lower leg shaft, shins should be against the boot, angle of the knees should be greater than 90 degrees (if less than 90 degrees then I am squatting and instead of getting forward).?

Lots of emphasis and reinforcement that the implementation of getting my body forward is pulling my feet back.? Lots of reminders that actively driving my inside hand forward during the turn will help to keep me from letting my balance fall back.

Counter balance.? I am really stiff in the waist (especially on the side opposite my spinal disk surgeries).? Lots of cues to remember to focus on counter balance (and a couple of suggestions to stretch the muscles).? Hands forward, downhill shoulder lower than uphill shoulder (shoulders parallel with the snow in the last half of the turn).? Drag the skis on the snow, tips should be forward of the boots.

Primary movements.? The first day, first drill was traversing on little toe edge (to check balance) and then initiate turn by tipping.? I couldn't find my balance, couldn't do the drill.? I USED to be able to do it. A little bit of review Monday afternoon and it came back; here again fore-aft balance was getting in the way of the ability to freely tip.

PS.? Thank you Todd for the wonderful birthday gift you provided!!? ?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:31:52 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:16:54 pm »
A-Basin 2009.

Wow, it felt cold!!? ?::) ::) ::) On the east coast we have had no real cold weather, highs in the 40's or higher (today will be in the low 60's).? In fact, I was still riding my bicycle comfortably through the middle of November until I ran out of daylight.

Going from that to daily highs of 6 degrees with wind chills in the minus 20's felt really cold.? :o :o

Of course, it felt really cold to Lynn after she managed to flush her SmartWool beanie at a restroom break.? I will let her recount that particular adventure.

There was a big snowstorm while we were out there, but Summit county missed it.? There was snow in Steamboat, Denver, Aspen, and Telluride but none in the middle at A-Basin or Keystone or Breck.

Just as an anecdote, there was a guy in my group that had taken the Clendenin camp last year and was taking the Harb camp this year.? His feeling was that there was no comparison in the superiority of the instruction at the Harb camp.? I say this merely as an anecdote, since you never know when personalities or something other than ski instruction becomes part of anothers analysis.? I will say that I have a great deal of faith in Gary's analysis, and he is the main reason for my interest in the Clendenin camp.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:51:10 pm by jim-ratliff »

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:00:34 pm »

Did I improve at the camp?? Maybe a little bit!?

Jim is either showing his usual modesty or is unaware that he is on the verge of a big breakthrough.? He was starting to live on his edges.? Don't take my word for it -- Midwif saw his video on the last day and was equally sure of his improvements.? Like a fine wine, good skiers improve with age.? We celebrated Jim's impending improvement with a chorus of "happy birthday to you" at the camp party on Monday night, and over the following week he delivered.? Midwif tried to distract him by flushing a gift from him down the toilet ???, but nothing could deter Jim from his skiing destiny? ;)

I spent much of the week redialing in fore-aft and learning to relax on new boots I bought the weekend before camp.? I replaced my old X-wave 10's with Nordica Speedmachine 130's in a smaller size.? It took a few days to get used to the extra stiffness, more upright cuff, and increased precision, but on day 3 I did a few extra runs with Max Sherwood to "clean out the carburetor" -- great fun laying them way over and sucking my knees? up in transition ;D?

I have good intellectual awareness of what's good and bad from a PMTS viewpoint, but half a year off snow had made my body forgetful and downright lazy.? The camp did a good job of resynchronizing the two.? The last touches of laziness were resolved at Loveland the weekend after camp:? on Saturday by moderate wind-scoured hardpack off the top of chair 2 (muscle memory instantly recalled strong CB) and in several inches of powder on Sunday (enough to add a real 3-D aspect.)?

Here's the answer to your real question:? of course you should go next year.? With a name like LivingProof, how could you not?? If you want to make nice with the natives, carry along some extra toenail and fingernail clippers.? The Dutch used glass beads to influence the original inhabitants of Manhattan, and you in similar fashion can use toenail clippers to buy influence and friends among skiers.? I saw lots of improvements in all of the groups at the camp.? Next year you could be one of them.

-todd

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 05:53:45 pm »
Well, after those wonderfully worded epistles, what can I add?

This was my ffth camp overall. I took two, did not go for 2-3 years and have been the past 3 winters in a row.
My feeling is that the staff is getting better each year in their teaching methodology.

Harold and Diana take the feedback they see/hear and seem to have really been able to focus the skiers on the progression they need, not just what is in a book.
I see a real learning curve in the camps. The organization is tighter, Harold and Diana have it nicely pulled together.

Personally, I felt the instruction was the best I have had from them. At night, they review the days video. So every group is getting the entire staff looking at them. Harold and Diana are able to give the instructors assistance on how help skiers move to the next step up.

The "extra expert eyes" they used on each others students would be evident the next day in the class.

On another note, it is AMAZING to experience Harlalds "eye". He can tell what you did on the third turn or fourth turn, whether good skiing or not so good.
His ability to see what exactly is going on in your skiing is extraordinary. You should experience it! And he is very supportive in his critique. He's a softie actually. Now Diana......talk about tough love!!

Oh, and we all got to practice some pole dancing. (aka practicing counter acting/balancing) ;D

And yes, I flushed my fav beanie hat down the auto flushing toilet.? :( :(
At least it wasn't a cell phone. Which my daughter did last year. Brand new phone. :'(

There were quite a few couples in the camp. Mostly different groups, but nice to see.

Lynn

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:53:26 pm by midwif »
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:46:39 am »
Can't tell if you are having fun? remember that it's important to breathe and have fun.  from all the descriptions above, I wasn't sure if this was a medical clinic or a skiing clinic  ;D    Do you get any time to just ski?

Jim, Very pleased to hear you are standing up. Keep those pole plants coming!

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 07:32:02 am »
G'Morning' Ron

I think the mind set of most of the people who came to camp was to work on technique. So, yes, it was occasionally "medicinal" feeling.

Counter balancing that, (pun intended) was the shared camraderie.

Also, the formal sessions were 9am-12:30 or 1pm. We would eat lunch and review the video of the day with our group and coach.

The afternoons were for whatever you wanted. Most folks went out to practice/have fun. One day I had gotten so cold, I just went back to the condo to sleep with practically all my ski-clothes on.

Overall, my sense of the week was one of feeling satisfied. I had gotten my moneys worth and more. Had a good time and learned a lot. Now, I am looking forward to doing some drills each day of skiing as an entry into my day of skiing. You know, dialing in those neuro pathways.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 07:46:01 am »
GREAT! As long you had fun.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 08:34:08 am »
Can't tell if you are having fun? remember that it's important to breathe and have fun.? from all the descriptions above, I wasn't sure if this was a medical clinic or a skiing clinic? ;D? ? Do you get any time to just ski?

We have a winnahh in the Grinch Who Killed Christmas category.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 09:06:19 am »
Can't tell if you are having fun? remember that it's important to breathe and have fun.? from all the descriptions above, I wasn't sure if this was a medical clinic or a skiing clinic? ;D? ? Do you get any time to just ski?

Jim, Very pleased to hear you are standing up. Keep those pole plants coming!

;D ;D ;D Well, afternoons were completely free, so that is a combination of either free skiing or working on what was taught in the morning, but it's skiers choice.

For me personally, FUN/ENJOYMENT comes in two flavors. Introspectively, taking a bike ride around Central Park or a 30 mile loop in the Shenandoah Valley along the river is fun to do for the newness and the sights.? However, completing the 78 mile Farm Ride back in July is equally FUN because it so clearly reflected the effort and training to get to that point.? The fun was in the accomplishment.

Similarly in skiing.? Sometimes the FUN is just stopping to enjoy the beauty of nature around me.? Sometimes its to enjoy the rush of just zooming down an easy groomed slope, or some other aspect of the skiing experience.? But sometimes its just as much FUN to put in some effort aimed solely at improving, and its very much FUN to look back and see that the effort was effective. And, quite honestly, sharing the experience with the other members of the team is also a lot of FUN, something very rewarding about the group of six people all helping each other to get better.

In fact, I imagine that you still carry similar fun memories of the Chile ski camp for all three of the same reasons.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:11:59 am »
Now that's Funny Mike because that's what I was thinking about this thread ?;D ?you know we all ski they way we want and what and where too. ?The interesting thing about this site is that folks can have such differing preferences but still seem to have the same passion for skiing. I think of doing drills and such (longer than 1/2 hour) unless I was competively skiing as dreadful. ?As a reformed technical-obsessed skiier, I look as it being against the spirit of free-skiing. So it's funny to see me called the Grinch, but I will do my best to uphld such a heavy burden. ?Just wait till January when I will have to think up some devious plot to interupt the JC event! ?Hmm, I must stop the clinic from coming some how ?;D (quote from the Grinch) So Before I head out this AM to my church of Steamboat, I will pray for all of your souls that they may be freed of the oppressive compulsion for the impossibe search for perfection and that you may someday ski with clear and present minds in the church of the perpectual smiles with the acceptance that its ok to just have fun and even stem a turn or two ?;D ?I am really looking forward to seeing everyone! We can have some laughs and I will even let you ma my skiing! ?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 09:34:57 am »
Jim, absolutely, comaraderie, nature and the feeling you get from rippin a soft groomer, surfin' pow or droppin in on a steep techical line that scares the crap out fo you is what its about. Skiing trees in absolute silence, smelling the pine in the air and skiing with a clear mind, not thinking about anything, just thoughtless, total acceptance of the terrain around me looking for the best lines and just having fun. 

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 09:52:32 am »
To expound a bit further and beat the dead horse a bit more.......

I did exactly what you are doing Ron. For many years, I skiied quite happily, going into more difficult terrain
and trees and bumps.

At some point my appetite for diversity of terrain and skill levels were nowhere on the same plane. :(

Hence my desire to improve technically. So when I grow up I can ski where you do! ;D

You already did your clinic this year! In south america. You're just WAY ahead of the rest of us. >:D

Sending you all in SB xmas kisses. :-*

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 10:02:21 am »
Jim, absolutely, comaraderie, nature and the feeling you get from rippin a soft groomer, surfin' pow or droppin in on a steep techical line that scares the crap out fo you is what its about. Skiing trees in absolute silence, smelling the pine in the air and skiing with a clear mind, not thinking about anything, just thoughtless, total acceptance of the terrain around me looking for the best lines and just having fun.?

Amen, my ski brother.   ;D ;D

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 04:30:57 pm »
Lynn, Jim and Todd,
Thanks for the report out's. Three different perspectives. In my formative skiing years, I found December instruction just set up the balance of the ski season. Gotta get the rust out from 9 months away. Cold mountain, lack of great Colo. snow is a bit of a downer, but, you go to learn. To everything there is a season; a time to learn, a time to let them rip.

Lynn, your comments about Harald's/Diana's oversight and Harald's eye made me smile as that's just how envisioned a camp. Nothing left to chance. HH has amazing ability to break down video to give the best single movements to improve your skiing. We see this all the time in his forum. What are you going to work on at Elk? Philpug and I are going to be there early January for the Friday demo day.

Jim, hang in there! PMTS is a very broad and deep system of skiing. I liked you image of keeping the upper body at an angle similar to the leg shins. HH's avatar in the PMTS forum shows this pretty clearly. My experience is that leg flexing fees up the other parts of the body for counterbalance. I'm interested in how your experience with Clendenin will be. I believe he works more with your existing style rather than how the PMTS focus is to adopt different movement patterns. I belive Todd's thoughts that if one could view video from day 1 through the end, there would be much to smile about.

Todd, I like your PMTS passion. Toe Nail Clippers? New PMTS technique? Two years ago, I lost my big toenail due to skiing. I ski tomorrow so I clip 'em tonight. We all need to move to a higher level of the basics. What moves are you continuing to work on? It seemed that following the camp, you loosened up and just let the work you did take over. Next year?? Highest on my wish list would be PMTS spring race camp in Oregon. My wife, the tennis diva, could come along for afternoon and night stuff.

Have a great season all!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:35:09 pm by LivingProof »