Author Topic: ski tuning  (Read 495 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: ski tuning
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 02:24:00 pm »
Gary,

It's great to ski with obsessive compulsive skiers. Don't let these guys make a rag out of you. No Respect.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 04:30:41 pm »
we rag because we love....  and don't forget, I never turn down a cassara tune!  ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:57 pm »
Thank you for your support Mike....nice get on the white pants....and no pizza for lumch!

Ok Mr. Ron....my powder skis are just a mere 92mm underfoot...and yes I like fresh edges as you know....and those boards seem to have ample float for me and my skills....with the big plus is that ...they can be carved on high edge angle in bounds....a 2fur.....

Obsessive, compulsive....someo nes been talking to my wife!!? :P

We're getting close to our first snow day here in upstate NY...I can just feel it in me bones!

Best,
Gary
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:03:04 pm by Gary »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 02:08:32 pm »
ski what you like but a 90 mm ski ain't no pow board!? But even with your nerotic tendencies, you have to admit sharp edges in powder are at the very best useless and can be detrimental at worst. Having edges that are sharp and skiing off-piste can grab on branches, underbrush rocks and such on thin spots and are harder to slide (drift for you) at times when it gets stiff or chalky. There's no benefit to skiing sharp edges in soft snow. I detune about a foot down from the contact points on the tip/tail and leave a 2:1 underfoot. Right tools...? but ski what you want- that's what it's about.  (now remember, I will still gladly accept a nice mini-tune..  :) )
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:44:56 pm by Ron »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 03:36:29 pm »

Perry, I believe that tunning the skis that support my abilty to turn and stop in all conditions is vital to me skiing the next day....so, I debur, or resharpen as needed and find if I screw up, it wasn't my skis fault.?

Gary, I thought you were a little bit obsessive until yesterday when Lynn was telling me a story about Harald taking one ski off to remove a burr while riding up the chair.? Even more amazing (to me) was his assertion that he could feel the burr while skiing the previous run. 

So I have to ask, have you ever felt the need to stop just for the purpose of "honing those edges" or only at a lunch break or the end of the day?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 05:07:02 am »
its all making sense now...... ???

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 08:24:30 am »
It is just easier to sell the skis before they need a tune.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 08:42:52 am »
 that's a great idea, I am going to see how long it takes before I feel any difference on my skis before waxing again, I skied the whole week in Chile without deburing, waxing or even wiping my skis down, I didn't notice anything there- but that was almost all powder.  ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 09:01:42 am »
I must say Jim while skiing I've never sensed a burr on my edges, Harold may be way more tuned into that than I. I have felt edges that needed sharpening after skiing hardpack for a day. I have also felt the difference between waxed and "I need wax" skis. The glide in and out of turns so much more effortlessly with recently waxed bases. These are the primary reasons I work on them at the end of each full day of skiing. Takes 10 minutes and they're good to go. Usually involes running the ceramic stone or diamond stone with guides and usually only a? couple of passes...checking the tips and tails edges for any major burrs and then a soft waxy on waxy off. Bingo...ready for the next day!

When I was skiing in Chile...the snow was so soft that my edges and bases looked great even after 3 days of pow....maintenace there was minimul to none.

Hope that helps....G
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:06:26 am by Gary »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 09:54:13 am »
sure hard snow will wear them down more quickly but a good wax should hold a for at least a solid week on hard snow, much longer more on? soft. But I try to avoid that nasty hard groomed stuff.? ;D  IT must really suck being that sensitive to a small bur disrupting your skiing. I would imagine you would be stopping all day to fix the many burs I get daily.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:03:24 am by Ron »

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 11:43:09 am »

sure hard snow will wear them down more quickly but a good wax should hold a for at least a solid week on hard snow, ....?

All kidding aside, is that really your experience with eastern hardpack?? When there's hard snow out west, a good hot wax lasts 2-3 days for me.? But back east, I get solid white bands near the edges some time between 10 and mid-afternoon on hard snow days and wax daily.? (Maybe I need to get rid of the extra cargo -- spare tire etc. -- that's loading down my skis? :-[)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 11:56:13 am »

Disclaimer - I don't wax my own skis.  However, I have had shop hot waxes that I could see graying by the end of the second day.  My current shop offers a hand wax for $12 or so (as opposed to $9 for a hot wax) and that seems to last for more than a week.  It might also be the wrong wax for the temperatures (or the weight).  Since you generate more melting from friction maybe you need to ski with a harder wax (designed for colder than the real conditions)?  Not speaking from experience of course, since I don't wax.

Actually, Lynn is the waxing expert (although I think those posts were lost during an earlier forum update).  Wonder what her opinion would be?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 12:28:29 pm »
Todd, I don't ski eastern hp!  ;D

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 01:45:32 pm »
Harold may be way more tuned .... than I.  ::)

Hope that helps....G

Gary,

For the record:

In Jackson, we get tuned at the end of the day in the Moose! ;D . Harald approved or not!

Gett'in close!

Mike

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 02:39:35 pm »
Yup I hear ya Mike....the Moose straightens our edges right out at the end of ski day! Nice? ;D

For you waxing enthusiast...it's not the coat you put on at the mountain....it's the sub zero wax we nut cases apply when the skis are new, followed by the 5 layers of everyday wax, each scrapped and brushed in maticulouly. This keeps those white streaks from appearing after a few hours on the mountain. Skiing at home at our local mountain, I get them back to my shop for a hot wax and brush in every couple weeks of skiing....keeps their little bottoms happy!

I find also that if I apply a paste wax at the end of each day, it seems to help preserve the hot wax I've applied......it may just be a mental thing...but it's been my routine.

So...if you want your wax to last...get 5 or 6 coats brushed in before ski day...otherwise, just keep the paste wax handy? or try some Zardox silicone...ooooh... .very slick and slippery!

Enjoy the slide and glide!? ?::)
G
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:44:15 pm by Gary »