Author Topic: ski tuning  (Read 496 times)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
ski tuning
« on: November 21, 2009, 02:25:03 pm »
For tuning my skis, I would love hearing about the tools you love to use.  I already hot wax and do minor edge and base repairs.  I want to start tuning the edges.  I need recommendations for a 2 degree side tool and info on base edge work -  ie should I just leave these alone or do I go for it. FYI - I feel confident using tools.  Questions
1) should I buy a ski vise
2) is there a package of tools that makes sense buying
3) This for Ron i believe - do you have to take a wiz on the top sheets  :o ;)

That about does it.  I recall a thread last year to Viking and couldn't find it although I'll admit I only tried for 10 min.  Feel free to bump that as an answer.

Perry

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: ski tuning
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:23:58 pm »
Ok, I did a little research and I'm definitely getting a ski vise, I have made waxing harder on the saw horses.  I have a vise but it won't work for doing edge work.  Will any of this stuff go on sale on black friday?

I found SlideWright website.  Are there others that this group likes.  Are the SVST guides worth getting vs say a Beast guide.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:27:06 pm »
Ski Vise is a necessity, but you already figured that out. IMO, most of the tools and brands are very similar. I like the SVST edge guides best but other brands are fine. I have the beast base bevel guides, and I actually think that SVST are better, but they are really six of one. The one tool that I have that I find to be a necessity is a sidewall planar. In this one, there is only one top get and that is bu SWIX. It is vastly superior to everyone elses. It also caost about $150, but it is well worth it.

As for Kits, SWIX makes some pretty reasonably priced kits that run $150-250 that have mostly everything you need to get started including wax. Somoeone gave me one as a present and that is what I use at my home in Montana (supplemented with tools I already had and brought out there).

On your question as to whether yo wnat to put your base bevel yourself. In my? experience, if you wnat it done right, do it yourself. There are two places that I go to (one in Tahoe and one not too far frommy home in California) that can and will do a better job that I can or will do myself. I use them when I am lazy or when I need some work that is either time consuming or needs to be? more exact that I can do myself. I also go to pros for race prep wax, as that is really a fine art. I also learn alot from these places and I ask a lot of questions. I also buy new tools there and they will give me a lesson on how to use it properly.

Get yourself set up. You can learn the basics online. Swix and Holmekohl have great videos on their websites. Then try to leran from people you find that know and care (caring is the key ingredient. Lots of shop guys just don't!!).

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 12:46:08 pm »
Thx JB.  I will let you know what I work out.

I am waiting for black friday just in case I get a deal. At this point in NC, Ihave time to wait.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:30:07 am »
Perry, head over to EPIC ski there is a HUGE section on ski tuning there.  John has good info here too. Slidewright and Racewax are sponsors of EPIC and offer generous discounts for members. I am not a huge fan of most SWIX recreational waxes,

http://www.epicski.com/forum/list/37

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:06:26 pm »
Ron,
thanks for the link, it's a good one.
BTW - have you been watching "Sinners"  I got a copy and it is a great ski flick.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:11:37 am »
This is the package I am looking at because it has what I need and doesn't include a lot of what I already have.  Any reason that I should avoid this.  In particular, the side of the beast edging tool, I know it isn't SVTS but, will it do the job.

Thanks for the info.  I am looking at the middle, pro tune package with the vise
http://www.ski-racing.com/packages.html

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 06:20:56 pm »
Ok, so I got the vise from ski racing and got an edge package from a link I got on epic...thanks Ron. 

I have installed my light over my work bench.  Now all I need is my stuff.  This should be fun.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 06:27:46 am »
Perry,
From other threads, I believe you will be in Aspen with our guru Gary.  Gary has portable ski tuning down to a science. Make sure you visit with him when he's tuning (his skis that is).
I hope you snow is so good that edges won't really be needed.

Mike

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 08:00:47 pm »
thx, great suggestion.  Let it snow, let it snow, for goodness sakes, let is snow already!!!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 03:42:38 am »
yes, Gary will actually wax, debur/cut edge and base every day- even on powder  days....... ???

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 05:06:35 am »
Look for Gary on the living room floor or follow the trail of metal filings..   >:D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 08:32:27 am »
with his sippy cup?  :o ??? ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 01:36:33 pm »
Such a tough crowd.....yes guilt as charged including metal fllings and the sippy cup!  ::)

Perry, I believe that tunning the skis that support my abilty to turn and stop in all conditions is vital to me skiing the next day....so, I debur, or resharpen as needed and find if I screw up, it wasn't my skis fault.  Waxing ....well that goes without question, to glide is to smile! A nice soft wax brushed in daily or some Zardox keeps the boards floating and carving with ease.

And with  my after ski ritual ... I find it meditating and comforting!

I must add that I am totally sold on a 3 degree side bevel and 1 degree base for my carving and powder skis. I changed from 2 to 3 degrees for the side bevel last ski season and have no regrets.

Keep um sharp, keep um waxed......and keep the sippy cup filled!  ;D
Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 01:56:56 pm »
yes, powder skis must have very sharp edges. BTW- when are you getting powder skis?   ;D