Author Topic: Dynastar Sultan 85 vs Kastle FX 84  (Read 810 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Dynastar Sultan 85 vs Kastle FX 84
« on: September 17, 2009, 01:09:39 pm »
After seeing here afetr someone posted that the FX 84 had gotten all fives on Peter's cards I went back and read the review. I have never seen this before and these all 5's or very close to all 5's seem to be occurring on mor ethan one of Kastle's skis. I have trouble beleiving in my mind that the FX 84 is 60% better than the Sultan 85 (which is roughly the current difference in price bettween the two with the Sultan available online now for $629 and the FX 84 for $1080 which is actually a 71% price differential!!). One thing is clear, Kastle is making skis that people are raving about!! But people rave about the Grzzly and the AC50 both of which I find unskiable. My sense is that these really are excellent traditional skis with a great flex pattern, sandwich construction, with great high end but forgiving enough for mortals. If so, again one needs to ask the question, is it worth paying 71% more for them.

And we all know the answer to that!! If you could pay an extra $500 for a pair of skis that would enable you to ski everything alot better (or ski the terrain the ski was designed for a lot better) most of us would jump on it. Whereas we may be not quite as bad as golfers (who will buy a new driver on the chance that they might pick up 6 yards), this forum exists because people are looking for equipemnet that will enhance their skiing.

I never saw a Kastle ski to demo last year. I will have to work on that this year. Hey, where is Phil when you need him. He was on another unnamed forum saying he had these in stock and loves them. Maybe he can give us all a review. Even better if he has skied the Sultan 85 and compare the two.

All this from a guy who had sworn off midfats a few years ago. I actually think that a goood midfat is the prefect ski to go off piste with when it's not fresh. When that same ski will rock carved turns on the groomed you are locked in for the day and can have lots of fun everywhere on the mountain. These two offereings look like the best out there this year. I am anxious to try them both. I know I don't need another pair of skis, but these are calling my name!!! J

JB - I added an "l" to Sultan. - JR
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:59:30 pm by jim-ratliff »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Dynastar Sultan 85 vs Kastle FX 84
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:54:18 pm »
And we all know the answer to that!! If you could pay an extra $500 for a pair of skis that would enable you to ski everything alot better (or ski the terrain the ski was designed for a lot better) most of us would jump on it. Whereas we may be not quite as bad as golfers (who will buy a new driver on the chance that they might pick up 6 yards), this forum exists because people are looking for equipemnet that will enhance their skiing.

NAWWW.? Most of us would probably buy two pair of skis, both of which cost the extra $500. Your "golfing analogy" breaks down because golf marketing has already convinced everyone that they need a quiver of clubs, ski marketing is still playing catchup.? ?>:D

I also noted that most of the Kastle skis had very high ratings.? Also noted that all of their skis have some strips of rubber as part of the construction, and maybe that it their little secret?

In my case, I don't need the best ski, I just need a good enuf ski (or whatever Ron and Gary tell me is gud enuf).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:58:48 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:30:05 pm »
You're just too rational Jim. If someone told you that that an additional $500 on a pair of skis would make everything easier and more fun, my guess is that you wuld spend it if you believed it. You are just too smart to beleive it. So am I , but somehow that hasn't stopped me from buying a few too many pairs of skis!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:58:36 pm by jim-ratliff »

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:51:46 pm »
I love the 84, it will most likely be my 80-something ski of choice, it is leading a pack of 3. If skis were cars, Kastle's would be Porsches. The FX84 is the Cayman to the MX (series) would the the 911's. The Cayman can be pushed just as hard as the 911 but it is lighter and a bit more toss able. That is the best way I can describe the FX84, damn I am selling myself.

Ask Gary how Alice likes her MX78's.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 07:37:33 am »
Phil:

I really liked your analogy of the FX/MX to the Porsche Cayman/911.? Lighter and a bit more tossable probably applies to the cars and the skis.
And Motor Trend just named the Cayman the "Best Drivers Car in the World" this year over the Audi RX8 and others (and a Mazda Miata finished second).? And everyone has known for a couple of years now that the Cayman is a better overall car than the 911 for all but the die-hard tail-wagging 911 fan (at least that's what I heard, I've never driven a Porsche).

Phil, just curious what the other 2 skis are in the "80 something ski of choice"?

Actually, what is your quiver of skis like to be this year since you have "different resources" than we do?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:56:32 pm by jim-ratliff »

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:57:29 am »

Phil, just curious what the other 2 skis are in the "80 something ski of choice"?

Actually, what is your quiver of skis like to be this year since you have "different resources" than we do?

Ahhh, someone took the bait. ;)

Other two choices are...

Blizzard Magnum 8.7 Wideride. I love this ski, I had 2 pair last year and they rock, still a chance I will get these over the FX84

Nordica HR Pro 84 "Flat", this is a new ski this year. A BXS-less version of teh Hot Rods and a damn sweet ski, much nicer than the regular HR's. These replaced teh Head Monster 78 and 84 on our ski wall. Think of a Monster that suddenly got a sense of humor.

Other two skis in my quiver are...
NS102 182 cm, a NeverSummer produced prototype for Hart that never made it to production with "The Ski" graphics
K2 PBR 179, a "rockered" Maiden AK that is 108 underfoot.

Both of these are mounted with Jesters.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 09:47:30 am »

Phil:

Knew you loved the Blizzards last year, so not surprised that they are in the group.  However, the exclusivity of the Kastle's has to be a factor above and beyond the pure ability of the ski.  Would be sort of like having a pair of those Bogner bamboo skis of a couple of years back (but not quite).

The NS102's, that pretty cool having a pre-production (or not quite ready for prime time) ski.  Makes up a bit for all the Hart headaches?

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 12:03:54 pm »

Phil:

Knew you loved the Blizzards last year, so not surprised that they are in the group.? However, the exclusivity of the Kastle's has to be a factor above and beyond the pure ability of the ski.? Would be sort of like having a pair of those Bogner bamboo skis of a couple of years back (but not quite).

The NS102's, that pretty cool having a pre-production (or not quite ready for prime time) ski.? Makes up a bit for all the Hart headaches?

I would be lying to say ego isn't playing into the decision process.  :D

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 01:44:31 pm »
Phil, can you compare the Blizzard 8.7 to the FX 84. Which is has better hard snow performance? Which one is better in crud and chop? Which one is more nimble? When you carve them and presurre the tips do you get rebound out of both? Do either feel either light or heavy? They both sound quite forgiving, is that your view as well? Any of these questions that you can help with would be of interest. I have never been on a Blizzard or a Kastle ski. Time to try them both.

Another question on the MX line of Kastles. It sounds from reading reviews that if there is a place that these skis go to far it is with stiffness and burlyness. I give Stockli skis as an example. I have skied a few of their charging big mountain skis and as much as these skis absolutley rock on hard snow (even with their big width) they just require too much for me off piste. They are way too stiff and way too unforgiving. My fear with the MX 88-108 is just this. Any thoughts? Can you compare stiffness and forgiveness with any other skis (Heads or Fischers which I know well?).

I know I am asking for a dissertation, but if you have a moment whatever comments you have will be helpful.? Thanks, JB.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 04:16:22 pm »
Phil, can you compare the Blizzard 8.7 to the FX 84. Which is has better hard snow performance? Which one is better in crud and chop? Which one is more nimble? When you carve them and presurre the tips do you get rebound out of both? Do either feel either light or heavy? They both sound quite forgiving, is that your view as well? Any of these questions that you can help with would be of interest. I have never been on a Blizzard or a Kastle ski. Time to try them both.

Another question on the MX line of Kastles. It sounds from reading reviews that if there is a place that these skis go to far it is with stiffness and burlyness. I give Stockli skis as an example. I have skied a few of their charging big mountain skis and as much as these skis absolutley rock on hard snow (even with their big width) they just require too much for me off piste. They are way too stiff and way too unforgiving. My fear with the MX 88-108 is just this. Any thoughts? Can you compare stiffness and forgiveness with any other skis (Heads or Fischers which I know well?).

I know I am asking for a dissertation, but if you have a moment whatever comments you have will be helpful.? Thanks, JB.

Oh Boy are you thinking a lot. I like both skis, they are different, the 8.7 is a BMW X5 4.8Si, a SUV that can run with most sports cars, the Kastle (by comparison to the 8.7 ) is an Audi RS6 Avant. I do agree with your thoughts and perception of the MX88/108.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 09:09:59 pm »
Thanks!!

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 07:05:58 am »
With Peter's killer reviews of the FX84, I am surprised only JB is getting a pair. I must be loosing my touch ;) . Gary, you were wondering how this ski would fit into your quiver? Ron and I agree, it would fit perfect. The FX84 (would (notice I didn't say "could") be your late day eastern ski for when the conditions get dicy and the Progressors start getting pulled around (you know they do even though you won't admit it;)) and a perfect western ski for that trip to Aspen & JH. You know you want them, why are you fighting it? So...you pay off the mortgage 2 weeks later... Enjoy the ride now. So you haven't demoed them first, look at Peters reviews....perrrfff eeect FIVES, never before has a ski gotten that, perfect fives. What could be holding you back from that?  >:D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 07:15:38 am »
The New Supershape has been born!   ;D

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 09:13:57 am »
I can honestly say that I have never been on them and I already love them!! In my mind they are the best ski ever made and I feel great just knowing that I own a pair. Let's hope the first run lives up to my massive expectations!!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 09:36:34 am »
EEKKKK>...John.....your mind has gone to very scary places i see...

I'm almost thinking that since you're telling yourself they are the best skis you've ever skied...so your test may be so inclined.

Would you please entertain us with a review of your new FX84's....let me set the mood..

"I slapped my new FX84's into the snow.....a plume of pow defied gravity and covered my pants...the skis lay there benath the surface at least 6 inches below the reach of the suns rays.....I click in and head for the lift....it's 9am, the test begins."

Ok John....it's all yours.... ::) g
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:38:12 am by Gary »