Author Topic: Decision time - Dynastar 8000 vs Watea 78 vs Head iM78  (Read 657 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Decision time - Dynastar 8000 vs Watea 78 vs Head iM78
« on: September 09, 2009, 10:12:54 am »
I haven't skied any "wider" skis so don't have any first hand opinion.? However, I noticed last year when I changed from the iM78's @ 124-78-110 (15m) to the Watea 84's @ 126-84-112 (19m) that I could really notice the difference at the end of the day.? I hadn't noticed any extra pressure or effort skiing the iM78's versus my "narrow" SuperShape Magnums @ 121-71-107 (13.5m), but at the end of the day my ankles could feel the extra pressure required by the only slightly wider 84's, especially one day when the snow surface was a melted and refrozen crust and the skis were "on-edge" rather than able to bite into the snow a bit.

I agree that the physics of the "edge being farther from the ball of the foot" with wider skis requires more leverage, but I also think other factors can lessen some of the effects.? For example, more side cut means ski can bend/turn with lesser angles, softer ski can bend with less effort, softer western conditions (even on groomed) gets the ski more into the snow and means the ski is less on edge and the lever point moves closer to the foot.

I did find it interesting that the early laminate Monsters (the iM88 and iM82) were pretty stiff skis, but then they found a different mix with the iM78?
And skiing style is also in the mix; preferences for skiing down in the snow vs. more floating on top.

And so, although I don't have the knowledge to really compare, I have become very happy with the skis I currently have, irrespective of the marketing efforts of wider skis.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:17:13 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."