Author Topic: Decision time - Dynastar 8000 vs Watea 78 vs Head iM78  (Read 658 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Decision time - Dynastar 8000 vs Watea 78 vs Head iM78
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:30:05 pm »
I am biased but I have skied all the skis you have listed. Right away I would rule out the Watea 78. In my opinion it is not a great ski and the IM 78 pretty much dusts it in every category (the Watea may feel a little lighter). The 8000 is an excellent ski, but in my opinion it is less dynamic than the IM 78. It is a very solid off piste ski, but it won't bend and carve the way the IM 78 will. Skied with strong input where the ski gets continually bent in turns, I don't think there is a ski as good as the IM 78 (in the mid fat category) I also like the tighter turning radius. Off piste it is incredibly solid in crud and chop and the tighter turn radius really shines in bumps and in any terrain where short radius turns are necessary. I have also skied it in 2 foot of fresh snow it was excellent. The railflex binding is a big advantage as you can move the binding back 1.5 cm which is a better position in fresh snow.

I love the feel of Head skis and for the life of me I don't understand the most common knock on Heads that they are overly damp and lack snap and life. If you bend this ski it will give you rebound like no ski on your list.