Author Topic: Training is underway....pass the advil...  (Read 889 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Training is underway....pass the advil...
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 10:10:34 pm »
Ron, you are right. Nothing conditions you foir skiing like cycling and especially riding hills. I find cycling a close second to skiing and once I get over the initial depression of the ski season ending, I get quite excited about spending more time on the bike. Of course in CA we cycle all year long and this really helps during ski season as well. We have awesome climbs out here, MT Tam is in my backyard with 2700 feet of vert with US 1 (the coastal highway) on one side of it. In the east bay we have MT Diablo (3600 vert) and Mt Hamilton (4500 vert) and all are awesome places to cycle. If anyone comes to the bay area and wants to do some great cycling, send me a PM and I will show you around.

I am biased but there really is no more beatiful place to cycle than out on US 1 in Marin County!!

Sounds like everyone is shredding it with staying in shape!! Very nice!!

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 12:04:56 pm »
John, those are some SERIOUS hills.
Sounds like your legs are in pretty good shape.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 08:23:38 am »
Yes, those are not just hills..... pass the water bottle!  Good job and that scenery is beyond beautiful!

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 08:27:17 am »
They seemed that way when I first moved here 17 years ago. Now I am on Mt tam 3-5 days a week for a 2-3 hour ride each time. I certainly still respect the hills but I now enjoy them thoroughly. If you attack too hard on long hills, the hill tends to attack back!! If you respect the hill the whole way, the hill will alow you to ride gracefully and joyously to the top!!

Of course having the right gearing helps a ton as well. A compact chain ring is a necessity out here and some even go to a triple. Being able to spin some makes all the difference.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 10:27:12 am »
right tools of the job! and the right knowledge too, knowing how to attack is key too. Don't short yourself on your skills and accomplishments.

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 04:15:37 am »
Wednesday's afternoon workout was bruttle again: treadmill quick feet drills , two-footed hops from two bosi balls, the focus is on sticking the landing and then hopping back.

Slightly inclinded bench press with pyramid sets. Alternate right/left of putting the majority of the weight on each side then up balanced. A series of pullup type sets, Seated rows with a lightly different twist. Pyramid sets of slow pushups on step. Burn outs at end.? I was in pain within hours....

I like the quick feet drills you describe.  If I'm doing them correctly, I think that will help a lot in the bumps, come ski season.

I've been riding mt bike a lot this summer.  The tight tree sections and twisties have really enlightened me on looking forward, not thinking too much and moving forward through the turn......sound familiar?
Sounds an awful lot like a bump lesson, eh?
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo

Living Proof

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 11:52:03 am »
Ron,
Each Tuesday night, I'm training at a local "Wing Night" that features Miller Light Pitchers. Does that count? All work and no play = ???.

I've been riding 100 miles plus per week on road bikes. My base mileage is at the point of starting intensity riding. Made the mistake yesterday of doing a serious interval workout with the wind at my back. Ended up riding 8 miles home into a nasty 20 plus mph headwind using my lowest gearing. Live and Learn! Thank goodness for Vitamin I.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 12:19:40 pm »
I think "Wing Night" absolutely counts, since wings help you fly????? ????? And, Miller Light continues with the theme.? Now if you were drinking Miller Heavy I would have to change my opinion.

This is sort of your own personal take off of the "Red Bull Gives You Wings" slogan?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 08:57:13 am »

Hey, does watching the Tour De France count as a workout? ;)

Watching Contador sling past the head of the peloton and move away from them on the climb to Arcalisa (sp?)
in the Pyrenees yesterday was pretty amazing.
I would be surprised if Le Lance can match that or have a strategy that would neutralize that ability.

Lots of young talent and strength in the TDF. Fun watching.

ALMOST as good as working out. ;D
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 09:28:15 am »
Well folks, yesterday was a true Advil day for me.
Rode up the west side of Manhattan across the GW Bridge to NJ. Then rode up to the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Got a wee bit lost (just a couple of miles), found some bikers to follow and show me the way.
Total mileage about 42 miles.

Can I say how much my butt hurts????? :'(;D

Boy, did that beer taste good when I got home! ;D
"Play it Sam"

Living Proof

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 09:29:04 am »
Watch the tour, eat wings, drink Miller Light, and, then you better get your butt on a bike.

I'd love to try skiing tomorrow as my legs and lungs are better than they've been in years. ?Still not ready for the ride posted on Epic where you climb 10,000 ft. in 62 miles.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 06:11:45 am »
Well folks, yesterday was a true Advil day for me.
Rode up the west side of Manhattan across the GW Bridge to NJ. Then rode up to the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Got a wee bit lost (just a couple of miles), found some bikers to follow and show me the way.
Total mileage about 42 miles.

Can I say how much my butt hurts????? :'(;D

Boy, did that beer taste good when I got home! ;D

WOW LYNN!  What a great ride, good job. Yup tasty brew for sure!  Nice ride too.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 06:15:03 am »
wow, lots of folks working it, ehhem, witht eh slight exception of a couple "workouts" mentioned 

TC, yep, i think a lot of you and I are trying to accomplish is pure metal. timing in tights trees and turning the mind off and lettig it do what we know we can do! Good on ya' 

LP, excellent job bro'  !!!  Hows the shoulder feeling after a bunch of miles on the pavement?

Started interval training. warm up with 5 minutes on eliptial at 125 plus paces per minute, jump right onto treadmill walk and run at 1 minute intervals, 3.5 mph walk (or where ever your comfortable) and then increase speed to 8 mph (or where comfortable)  10 sets/minutes. Very good way to increase stamina and endurance

New diet was created for me based on the 3 week initial training cycle. 
Here's my target for each day on off days its a little lower for each: 
in grams:
Carbs: 360-380
Protien 240-255
Fat: 53-57
calories: 2875-3061

It's actually diffucult to hit the calories per day and not each junk to fill it out. No white breads, sugars, artificial colors, additives, etc.

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 08:32:23 am »
Wow, did I ever get a reality check last weekend!
I rode a mt bike trail that has some extremely challenging terrain and tons of obstacles.
I decided ahead of time that I would not take the bail outs on any of the obstacles, but I had to bow to two of them after the rest of the trail put the smack down on me.

I came away from this ride with a couple of primary thoughts...
I'm not in as good of condition as I thought I was
I Need to stop thinking too much

Excuse me while I hang my head in shame and count my bruises.
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2009, 12:51:42 pm »
You are doing Fine!, there are points for "heart and courage" 2 of which you have plenty!