Author Topic: Training is underway....pass the advil...  (Read 860 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Training is underway....pass the advil...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 08:45:01 am »
Thurday- Did legs at home

Friday Am- Quick feet, reverse walk on incline, bosi-ball hop.

Pyramid sets of side dumbell lifts, front delt lifts, Close in pushups on step for Tri's. Sets of sitting on bosi ball, with 15 pound dumbells, Arms at shoulder height at 45 degree. As you lift the right, also lift left leg while keeping left arm at shoulder height. This took a little bit to coordinate!  Reverse tri- cable pull downs; palms up pull down with elbows at side.

I am toast......

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 06:36:40 am »
Saturday was a "day off" no lifting permitted. I rode 18 miles on the trails and averaged 14.9 MPH, I would have hit my 15avg but a dog ran out in front of me and I had to hit the brakes and stop, it was a close one, especially given that I was doing 25mph!

Sunday, did at home core max program for 45 minutes, then did "home workout" which meant, vacuming, mopping and dusting for Fathers day party- Cooked brisket at 200 degrees for 7 hours, finished it off on the grill for 1.5 hours with smoker chips... made home made BBQ sauce with wife, yum.....

Monday, Leg workout. plyo warmup, quick feet and such, leg presses, she changed up workout with different variations of leg/feet positioning on sled. Did calves. Bosi ball lateral leaps, wall squats into isometric holds and then pulses, Pain......

Tuesday, 2 mile run, pyramid bicept workout.

So far, I have actually lost another 4 pounds, which of course varies but currently at 166

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 10:54:24 am »
Jeez, I feel inadequate!!
Ron, I am not sure if I feel intimidated or glad I don't have the time for that kind of work out.
Pass the Advil indeed!. I'll take some in empathy. :D
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 11:13:55 am »
workouts are at 6 am or 7 am.....I am at work at or before 9 am on those AM's...... you have the time......... ::) 

BTW- my wife does basically the same training program but all of her workouts are at 6am and on Saturdays. PLUS she runs 3 times a week. She kicks ass!

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 06:05:23 pm »
Jeez, I feel inadequate!!

Me too? :-[? This is a very impressive undertaking.? I'm looking forward to seeing video of your on-snow gains from this next season.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 04:21:40 pm »
workouts are at 6 am or 7 am.....I am at work at or before 9 am on those AM's...... you have the time......... ::)?

BTW- my wife does basically the same training program but all of her workouts are at 6am and on Saturdays. PLUS she runs 3 times a week. She kicks ass!

My work days start at 8am. And don't end until 8:30 or 9 pm. I am too blown out by then to work out. Working the night shift is just as long, but I usually do something the day of a night shift.  I have 3-4 days a week to do physical activity. I sometimes do two different activities in a day, ie an aerobic one and then go to yoga class.

Heading in the right direction though. Jim and I did a 20 mi bike ride this past sunday. Nice flat terrain along the lackawaxen river in PA.
Then I did a 18 mi ride today in central park, which is mostly rolling hills. Trying to get the legs in shape for a 60 mi bike day in Amherst, Ma in mid august. "The Farm Ride" which is an organized event followed by a nice meal from local farms.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 06:23:20 am »
that's a long day! wow! Good job on the rides, Sounds like you 2 are having fun along the way, good for you both. If you ever want to ride the rail to trail I ride, its columbia trail in High bridge NJ http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-new-jersey/trail/PRD_169029_4564crx.aspx  very scenic, flat and shaded all summer! It's about 2 hours from the city. I would be happy to meet you there one morning for a nice ride. Its about 5 minutes from my house. You can ride as far as 35 miles r/t if you want.  Keep up the good work.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 07:38:42 am »
Ron:

Thanks.? Sounds like a great trail (especially the shaded part? ;D ).? I ride a lot On the W&OD rail to trail down here.? It's 45 miles total from the Potomac river all the way out to the Shenandoah, so easy to pick a different section and ride a few miles roundtrip while working my way up to the Farm Ride.? Thanks for the link.

Is the trail suitable for Road Bikes (asphalt) or is it a packed cinder or gravel that needs Mountain Bike or Street tires?? That's one of the nice things about the w&OD is that the whole thing is paved (and with a yellow line down the middle to divide the traffic just like a highway.? ????

Jim

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:38:15 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 09:03:26 am »
not paved!  packed cinder/gravel. A roadie is not recommended. It's kinda like the groomed vs. off-piste thing! I try to avoid the paved stuff... :)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 07:50:51 pm »
Hmm, I don't think we have compatible bikes, Ron. :D
I have a approx 15 yr old titanium road bike with carbon fork and dura ace components.
Frankly, I don't ride ANYWHERE near well enough to warrant this thing, but when my husband got his, I told him he couldn't have one unless I got one TOO!! ;D ;D
Turns out, these things are the cost of a small car. And I live in a primarily paved spot, aka NYC.
Though I would llike to try mountain biking some day. Just don't want to break anything.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 09:07:12 am »
Sweet bike!  Nice job. Still a rippin' bike for sure. I am not riding anything technical or crazy, this isn't Dh riding. I do want to amp it up a bit though. It's so good for skiing off-piste as you have to use the same balance and body awareness. I really use it for getting my mind to stop worrying about tight openings  like clsoe trees and such, I ride the bike through real tight places to work on that. It seems to have helped.  We just bought a decent hybrid bike which is perfect for hard trails and rails to trails for about 350.00, if you really want one, you can find them used for much less. You don't need very good shifters or brakes for casual riding, SRAM is more than adequate.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 09:36:26 am »
But Ron, you have to understand......I'm spoiled. ;) ;D I like a light ride.

It would be hard for me to get a bike that was heavy. I HATE riding those suckers up hills. Not a great hill climber, I must admit.

I always told Doug to just assume that I was far behind him on a hill and adjust accordingly. Unless he wanted to ride alone.
I occasionally make myself do some extra loops of the biggest hill in central park, just to get better at them.

As far as skiing thru tight spots, I am not too fearful, but should be. ;D
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 01:46:22 pm »
Your not spoiled, you just know what you want, the best and won't settle, Right Jim???? :)

Is this a speedlight?  Sweet ride........

Tight spots, that's good they don't faze you. I see a tight spot and analyze it too much. I am working on looking at objects on the far side of the opening and just keeping my core and head focused on that spot.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 02:57:18 pm »
Your not spoiled, you just know what you want, the best and won't settle, Right Jim???? :)

Is this a speedlight?? Sweet ride........

Welllll, fortunately for me she sometimes settles for quite a bit less than perfection.? ?;D

Lynn's bike that matched Doug's is a GT (I'm not even sure it was a production bike).? Doug did also have a Litespeed, that may have been his racing bike at some point.? Lynn has some pretty interesting stories, but as a nationally known triathlete he seems to have had lots of options for sponsored/heavily discounted biking and swimming gear.?

Hope Lynn doesn't mind but here's a web copy of the Sullivan County Democrat.? Lynn is a bit modest about it (really) but she did the Highland Triathlon along with running the New York City Marathon a couple of times when younger.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YULAN ? June 27, 2003 ? For the winners of the 11th Annual Highland Triathlon, the taste of victory was sweet.
Doug Stern, founder of the Highland Triathlon, began competing in such events in 1984. A year later, he was ranked fourth nationally. Stern presently serves as head coach of the U. S. Triathlon Training Center in Ca.? ?This race started when I used to bring my friends up to my house in Yulan to train, and my wife said, ?As long as you?re bringing all these people up here, you might as well have a race,?? he recalled. ?That?s how it all started.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:01:19 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 04:08:39 pm »
Just to keep the facts straight, Doug was nationally ranked in his age group (in his forties).

No, the Litespeed was an 'extra" bike that he acquired and I don't remember why anymore.
 It is heavier than the GT, which is known for being "stiff". I like the way mine feels, but some riders have mentioned the reputation of the GT as being a hard ride.

He had a custom fitted bike made by Francesco Cuevas.
Cuevas grandson refurbished and painted that bike a few years ago and Doug then gave it to Zach.

I did the NYC marathon 3 times. The last in 1983. The last time I did the Highland triathlong was 2001. ( I think).
It was a sprint distance triathlon- 1/2 mile swim, 14 mile bike (HILLY!) and 4 mile run (also hilly).

No more for running for me, so no more triathlons. And I haven't been swimming laps in 3-4 years, so REALLY out of shape in that sport.

So Ron, what was your workout today???
"Play it Sam"