Author Topic: Training is underway....pass the advil...  (Read 939 times)

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
Re: Training is underway....pass the advil...
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2009, 06:32:03 am »
don't be in awe!? Really, anyone can do this, thanks though. I absolotuely love this so its so easy. I look forward to challenging myself everyday. Doing well, I got one muscle in my quad to release that was locked up (amazing how the body works!) and both legs are much stronger. There are areas that can get a little sore but with some stretching, they are fine.? Still? a long way from what I perceive as being as conditioned I want to be in.
How do you get a quad to release?
I've been struggling with  a tight quad on my left leg for a few days, since an intense ride on Wednesday night.
Its funny tho because I was riding on the edge, almost feeling out of control and loving it.  Finished the ride with a big grin and lots of whoops, but woke up in the middle of the night with a feeling like my left quad was heavy and its not going away.

I do stretch after a ride and did so after this one, so I'm sure that's not it but who knows.
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2009, 08:28:45 am »
Sounds more like a muscle strain.
Try icing/advil for a few days. Even if its just "tight" neither will have an adverse
effect and likely will help.
Do some gentle stretching as well.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2009, 07:30:31 am »

I agree with Lynn.  I've also found (in addition to icing) that some of the sports creams that warm the muscle also help to relax the muscle a bit, and then a leisurely walk to get the muscle out of its spasm'ed state is good.  And then some more ice as soon as you get back from the walk to keep it from spasming again.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2009, 09:11:34 am »
no, its not a strain, There were a few muscles that were pretty much shut down or not working due to the injury. The soreness is greatly caused by them being worked properly and not really functioning correctly.  It's all good folks!  I was leg pressing (on a sled) 420# this AM. They may be sore, but thier working!

Jim did you see the latest report on the sports cream study? Save your money.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2009, 09:22:45 am »

Ron:

We were referring back to SnowHot's quad from bike riding a couple of day ago.
Yours was clearly in a uniquely different category.

As far as the Sports Cremes, I haven't seen the study and can easily believe that they don't really do anything (except in my mind, but that is worth the money).  We used Atomic Balm on my high school basketball team all the time, but I will admit that was back in the mid '60's which is almost like the dark ages now. 

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2009, 09:45:40 am »
Oh, sorry for being self-absorbed!

the only cream i ever felt that really worked was the blu-emu and Apercreme, but I will find the article.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2009, 10:46:35 am »

I've heard Gary talk about blue-emu and plan to try at some point, Aspercreme is one that I use.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2009, 12:03:44 pm »
my chiropractor said the emu works but you need to use it over time.

so here's the link. The article actually says the asparin-based topicals are not effecitve, however the capsaisen based products seems to work. the Apercreme is a combo of the two.  It also says many others disagree with the study.. so.......

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/b/2009/07/10/are-sports-creams-a-waste-of-money.htm

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:23:29 pm by Ron »