Author Topic: Training is underway....pass the advil...  (Read 872 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Training is underway....pass the advil...
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 01:35:25 pm »
these area all signs of weakness and excuses!? :) do you want an * next to your ride time???? I think not!? >:D

:)? The joy is in the journey and the completion Grasshopper, and not in measuring the time or effort it might take.? ;) ;)--

Yes exactly, a hard fought battle is better. The excuses being shamelessly promoted by Mr. cassara are for the weak- you my friend are a warrier.......? :)

A asterix next to my ride time?? --- Say it ain't so, Shoeless Joe!!? --- They didn't even tell me they were timing it.-
maybe not timing it but completion on ones own merits are worth every painful stroke of the pedal!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:38:15 pm by Ron »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 02:14:19 pm »
Actually Lynn had the tour organizer(s) over for dinner last night, and it's going to be a piece of cake.
No hills more than a block long, and how bad can that be?
Ride 20 miles (70-80 minutes?), stop 15 minutes (or longer if you want) at the pre-positioned food and drink rest areas.
Repeat twice and the 100 km is over with in less than 6 hours total including food stops.
We have the option of being in a guided group to set the pace and keep from getting lost, and most everybody gets to ride in the "peloton" and therefore minimal wind resistance.
"SAG" truck (Support And Gear) on call for breakdowns (either mechanical or physical).

Ride a different route on Sunday (we'll probably only do 30 miles).

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:58:07 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2009, 06:19:54 am »
Have a fantastic ride and enjoy it! Sounds like you are all "geared-up" for it!  Good for you.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2009, 02:33:14 pm »
Two words my Kansas deportee;

BAG BALM!!!!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2009, 02:24:50 pm »
Two words my Kansas deportee;

BAG BALM!!!!

or Chamois Butter??

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2009, 04:47:37 am »
Guys, are we done crying?  Do I need to change your diapers (said in a really bad Arnold impression voice)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2009, 08:53:28 am »
well, long story short is that they never really could diagnose all that "occured." The fix with mesh in the lower ab/iguinal ligment area is good about 90% say, but the adductors and sartaurus (sp) are still problematic. Not complaining, just need to be more aggressive in training and maybe working on those specific areas, I can get it back for the most part. Only issue is really lifting the leg with bent knee, like jumping or aggressively skiing bumps and those type movements where you need to suck up the knees. Not the end of the end of the world.? ?Just old and broken down. :)

Ron:?

Just a little follow-up to the original focus of this oft-hijacked thread.?
How are you feeling regarding the specific areas that were weak. Ready for Chile?? I have been completely in awe of the level of your work-outs (both the intensity and your dedication).

;D ;D And its called a "Chamois" not a diaper.? ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:31:25 am by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2009, 12:23:02 pm »
don't be in awe!? Really, anyone can do this, thanks though. I absolotuely love this so its so easy. I look forward to challenging myself everyday. Doing well, I got one muscle in my quad to release that was locked up (amazing how the body works!) and both legs are much stronger. There are areas that can get a little sore but with some stretching, they are fine.? Still? a long way from what I perceive as being as conditioned I want to be in.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:48:11 pm by Ron »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2009, 09:59:04 am »
Hey Jim and Ron,
Well I'm back (the bad penny always returns) and thanks with the help resolving my log-in issues. The old Living Proof was my evil twin brother and needed killing. The new LivingProof promises to be a kinder and gentler SOB.

I've done a lot of Ib this summer. Been riding 100 miles per week and my 63 year old bod needs all the help it can get. I'm looking for a local century ride or maybe a metric. A 6 hour metric with a group can be a fun ride in that riding in the draft of others makes it way easier. Where in Mass are you riding? I've been concentrating on about 25-30 mile rides. Wind is always an issue at the Jersey shore and it can be very exhausting. My issues are related to recovering following a hard ride, and, I find that more active rest is needed than years ago. Still, in 2 months I've lost 10 lbs and am managing my calorie intake much better.

I still think that "Wings and Miller Light" nights are way better than chocolate.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2009, 11:27:37 am »
welcome back!  you have a great ride schedule but what about stretching, hydration and nutrition? If you are not taking in enough complex carbs and protien with adequate H2O, you may be losing weight, but you may be losing muscle! You need to go to a 6 times daily food plan that meets your body's needs. Drop the fried garbage, cheese and alchohol! Take one dinner for your cheat meal and enjoy a few wings and a couple of lite beers but if you are riding 25 miles per day, you are probably not fueling your body properly. You would be amazed how much more quickly you can recover with the right foods.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2009, 12:12:29 pm »
Hey Jim and Ron,
Well I'm back (the bad penny always returns) and thanks with the help resolving my log-in issues. The old Living Proof was my evil twin brother and needed killing. The new LivingProof promises to be a kinder and gentler SOB.
 I'm looking for a local century ride or maybe a metric. A 6 hour metric with a group can be a fun ride in that riding in the draft of others makes it way easier. Where in Mass are you riding?

See the link below.? It's at Amherst, MA (using the U-Mass dorms for housing, etc).? There is a registration fee, but they also provide a lot of support as far as prepositioned reststops (with food and drink) every 20 miles on the 100km ride and a SAG truck for assistance in case of mechanical or physical problems.? And yes, Lynn and I are COUNTING on the fact that there is a lot less wind resistance in a group.?

www.thefarmride.com

Jim

PS. And welcome back.? Svend's wife's account also got deleted so I'm not sure exactly what went on.? Hate to fess up to it being a Jim error.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:00:13 pm by jim-ratliff »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2009, 02:59:36 pm »

See the link below.? It's at Amherst, MA (using the U-Mass dorms for housing, etc).? There is a registration fee, but they also provide a lot of support as far as prepositioned reststops (with food and drink) every 20 miles on the 100km ride and a SAG truck for assistance in case of mechanical or physical problems.? And yes, Lynn and I are COUNTING on the fact that there is a lot less wind resistance in a group.? I think she is getting tired of me always drafting her, since she's a stronger rider than me.

www.thefarmride.com

Jim

PS. And welcome back.? Svend's wife's account also got deleted so I'm not sure exactly what went on.? Hate to fess up to it being a Jim error.

The Farm Ride looks nice and civilized! I have family in the Springfield Mass area and it's great country.

For a while, I considered the "D2R2" which is in Deerfield Mass. and some Epic members are going to do it. Deerfied Dirt Randonee Ride. Ya get the pleasure of climbing 10,000 feet over 62 miles and if you do the full century ride, climbing is 15,000 ft. Think of biking up Stowe 5 times in 62 miles. Dirt roads no less. The 2 months of training I've done is totally inadequate for the metric let alone the full century. See some pics at the below website.

http://www.franklinlandtrust.org/randonee.htm

PS - While I've not met or seen Lynn, I'm sure the scenery would be much better riding behind her than the guys I get to ride with. Your hormones are in the right place!

Enjoy

Glenn

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2009, 05:12:31 am »
I haven't been to the gym for probably close to 2 months.  :-[  But I did move and stack a cord of firewood last weekend...and I've been splitting like crazy.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2009, 08:53:28 am »
Not very aerobic, but not bad for upper body strength.

Which reminds me, need to get my son splitting!! ;)
Winter is around the corne,r as is the large heating bill.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2009, 01:26:40 pm »
I think splitting wood is pretty aerobic.  It certainly works up and sweat and gets your heart thumping and breathing hard.  'course I may not understande aerobic very well.   ;D