Author Topic: Thermix boot heaters; feedback please  (Read 584 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Thermix boot heaters; feedback please
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:55:58 pm »
Hey Guys (and now some Gals! :)

I got Thermix ski boot warmers on Tramdock.
Anyone have any feedback on these?
I currently have Hotronix in my boots and love having them.
Am thinking of keeping these new ones until I get new boots.
But, if the feedback is not so good, BACK THEY GO!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:47:32 pm by midwif »
"Play it Sam"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Thermix boot heaters; feedback please
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »
http://cozywinters.com/therm-ic/

Lynn, no personal experience with them but which model did you snag? NiMH or LI-ion? I think overall, they are good and work very much like the Hotronics. I am little confused, you have the Hot's now and they are in your boots? Why do you need these?  If you got the Lith ions for cheap, they may be better than the hots. Keep in mind, you can use them in winter boots or for biking too.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:50:49 pm »
Ron
Thanks. I went to the website you listed. Is the Thermic Supermax (doesn't indicate NiMH, but must be).

I will start looking for a new pair of boots at the end of next season.
The Thermic would be for NEW BOOTS .

However, given my experience with the current boots, I want to gradually break-in
the? new boots.

Lynn

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:58:14 pm by midwif »
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 09:46:34 am »

Lynn:

On the plus side, their "Super Charge+" charger for the NiMH batteries recognizes the charge level and automatically discharges the batteries before recharging them, so no memory effect and you don't need to remember to discharge the batteries completely before plugging them in to recharge.

;D However, NiMH batteries obviously aren't as "green" as the Lithium Ion since you need to discharge the NiMH thus wasting all of those electrons.   ;)

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

speed163

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 01:58:35 pm »
Jim,

the discharge of Lynn's electrons would be dependent on your ability to maintain a constant force field......green or not.? ?;)?? ;D

Happy to know you have initiated a boot hunt Lynn, as there are so many variables that have to be in place prior to making an eminent purchase.? I doubt you will score another deal like your Zanotti's.? Too bad they aren't into manufacturing ski boots.......design and feminine 'function' built into one? ;D ;D

Jim would be eying you up from afar without a doubt? ;)

Do you have a short list?

Terryl
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:17:04 pm by Terryl »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 07:04:24 pm »
Jim,

the discharge of Lynn's electrons would be dependent on your ability to maintain a constant force field......green or not.? ?;)?? ;D

Jim would be eying you up from afar without a doubt? ;)

Terryl

Terry:? Hmmmm.? Hi there.? I think that first line is too subtle for me -- so I think I will leave it alone.

However, I would be eyeing her from afar or from aclose -- without a doubt and independent of any boot activities.? ?:-*

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 07:08:21 pm »
Hi Terryl!
Yes, the short list is Head/Nordica.
Based on my belief that Harold Harb knows boots
and specifically knows which ones fit narrow feet. Both these
brands have models with a narrow last.

Lange has an "old" reputation for having boots that fit a narrow foot.
My previous pair before my current Head boots were Langes, based on
reading that now redundant info. The Langes I had were packed out
within a few weeks of regular skiing and I was once again ?sloshing around
in them. ?NO alcohol involved. ;)

I have decided to return the Thermic boot warmers. The heating wire is embedded in a thick
foot insert. I think that would interfere with my custom footbed. And I want batteries that are Lithium,
not the "must empty" ones. I currently have NiMH and they require ?increased vigilance to use correctly.

I have learned my lesson. Run all this technical ?battery stuff by Jim first. He knows most of it off the top of his head.
Foolish me. :D

Now, if Choo or Zanotti would only get into ski boots........wait a minute, forget it. Can barely afford ski boots NOW!
Can you imagine the cost of designer ski boots???? :o :o :o

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 07:13:56 pm »
I will confuse things by asking why you think you need new BOOTS as opposed to just new liners??? Is the plastic worn out and not stiff enough to transfer energy to the edge of the ski; especially important, you know, when edging wider skis!!??

Are you considering stiffer boots or softer?

:o :o And most importantly, WHAT COLOR??? >:D >:D

And Lange also has a reputation (probably still true) for being a boot that moves forward and to the inside rather than just flexing straight forward.? That's what I found when I was comparing the Lange's to my Head S12 4 years ago.? I was pretty neutral in both when standing up, but was almost a degree "out of alignment" when flexing forward in the Langes (and still neutral in the Heads).? I didn't like the idea of having to get canted soles on the Lange's just to compensate for the "help" in gives you when you flex the boot.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:19:15 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 07:21:11 pm »
I don't need new boots now.
But by the end of next season, my boots will be 6 seasons old.
And plastic can suffer "fatigue".
So will be looking for the next "ski investment". Since I plan to continue to
use my older boots while breaking new ones in, that brings me to the
7th season with the current pair.

AND, if I get Harb carvers, I can use my old boots with those!!!
That's my rationalization and Im sticking to it. ;D
"Play it Sam"

speed163

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 02:20:34 pm »
Lynn,

given the modification of your current ski boots, I think it's a wise idea to begin your replacement search. Perhaps a professional fitter might provide some insight?

There is a shop in our neck of the woods, which encourages you to "test drive" their boots.  They will ski with you to make their observations, watch you on video, etc. generally spending a few days focused on the task of fitting the skier with the proper boots.

The Viking can add his own two bits with respect to a couple of shops in The Rockies.  Also an interesting hands-on approach.

I've skied three seasons in my Langes and have not experienced any packing out. No cold piggies either except for a memorable N.Year's Eve @ -22F.

Designer ski boots?  Karl Lagerfeld made an attempt with leather croc. skis (sorry Ron, nothing artistic, just ridiculous   :) ), and Pucci made a foray with their colorful suits, but what if you had to coordinate the entire "look"?  How does it differ from the current trend? For example: Orange skis with a coordinating jacket? Green accents to match fore and aft? You are NOT alone Lynn!! ;D

Obviously to be continued.....

Terryl  ;)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 08:18:47 am »
Lynn,
There is a shop in our neck of the woods, which encourages you to "test drive" their boots.? They will ski with you to make their observations, watch you on video, etc. generally spending a few days focused on the task of fitting the skier with the proper boots.
Terryl? ;)

Terryl:

I am pretty sure that Lynn will get her boots from Harald (and I will my next pair as well).  What you describe is the basics of Harald's approach.  First is static measurement of the foot and leg. Where does the center of mass of the knee fall over the foot when standing? When flexed?  Then the ankle.  What is the range of motion of the ankle?  Then the heel.  This is where I found out why I always had trouble getting pressure to the big toe side of the boot, it was because I had an 'uncompensated' forefoot varus (see link below).  Anyway, then they put the boot together, then they analyze your skiing, then they experiment with shims to determine whether skiing is better with different canting, then they incorporate that alignment revision into your boots.  It is a pretty comprehensive process that meshes well with their camps, because the alignment is included as part of the overall skier improvement program.

http://srcpt.blogspot.com/2008/12/what-is-forefoot-varus.html

speed163

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 11:37:33 am »
Sounds like an extensive analysis and a science-minded approach. 

What is the longevity of these boots?

As you mentioned, can you choose your 'own' color for the shell?

Perhaps I'm in the wrong business?? ;)

Terryl  ???

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 01:53:42 pm »
Hey Lynn....

I have to share my story with my new boots just purchased and taken to BC and Vail this past month.  My previous Head RS80's received lots of blowing out, grinding, and sanding my fingers to the bone for fine tuning and by the end of the 2nd season, they were almost 90% perfect and that's averaging over 50 days each season.

After 4 seasons in the boots, the slop was noticeable, the wear too was there. I noticed the newer boot designs were more anatomically shaped to the foot. I had such good fit (eventually) with my Heads and the performance was perfect, I decided to purchase another Head boot with the thoughts of agony in breaking them in, grinding, punching out, blowing out, sanding out...I was not looking forward to that all over again. So out I went to Colorado with 2 pairs of boots.

I purchased the Raptor LTD and it was 4mm smaller that my RS 80. When I put the boot on I said, this thing fits like it was made for my foot and that was without the liner in the boot. Very comfortable and even fit all around the fore foot, ankle and upper cuff....things were looking up.

I put the boots on and headed for my first day of skiing BC....6" of wet powder. Believe me when I say, I couldn't believe how right out of the box these boots fit and felt on my feet. After the first day, I knew I had to soften the boot so I pulled out the rear plugs and had some of the inner cuff cut down. The only other thing I had to do was sand above the top of my right 2nd toe...lightly...and BINGO....the boots were done....perfecto... fit like a glove and I love the performance. The flex is much more even than the RS 80's and the fit...is right on.

I'm hoping for you that whatever boot you find, given the newer designs in anatomical shapes, you'll have the same kind of experience I had. I know what you went through with your fitting and medevil torture.....maybe the latest and greatest in boots will be your knights in shinning armor!

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 06:50:04 am »
my head hurts....

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 07:33:53 pm »
Ron,
Given the total number of surgeries
your poor skiers body has endured, I am surprised ONLY your head hurts!! >:D :D >:D

Gary
Yes, I have had that feeling from reading other info, that boots are becoming
more anatomical in design. I hope to NOT go thru the same process the next
time around.

And, I am hoping for a more comfortable boot experience in total.

Lynn
"Play it Sam"