Author Topic: Carving on HellBents! 150-122-141 20/40 rocker baby!!!!  (Read 380 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Carving on HellBents! 150-122-141 20/40 rocker baby!!!!
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:46:56 am »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlcpics/3466783960/

Enjoy! Pretty funny stuff. Just goes to show that not all fat skis or rockers are built the same. This ski really was a lot of fun to ski on. I may move the bindings up to +7 but I want to get them into some tighter trees first to see how they respond.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:30:33 pm by Ron »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
What's interesting watching Ron ski the skis was we had such a variety of conditions from 8" of wet pow to ice hard pack. Although he was a bit nervous when he headed down a hardpack run our last day out, he found the balance and pivot point on these skis and made skiing those conditions on such wide boards look easy.

The video was a good example of how a centered skier that understands how to engage edges can ski a board like this in 1" of loose granular. These skis really came alive in the powder for Ron but you'll notice how easy he makes it look making quiet carves, just rolling ankles and throwing in some "Contarino Boogie" in the process.

Is it his all time favorite ski....I don't think so but he made those babies work for him no doubt. Are they for everybody...nah...d on't think so.....I tried them briefly and felt I would have needed to mount them another 1 to 2 cm forward...still, I felt a lot of board underfoot and for me..overkill. I'm on Icelantics at 92 underfoot for those powder and crud days and my body weight and the way I like to ski....plenty of board for sure. What's funny is that if someone had told me 2 years ago I'd be on a 92mm waisted twin tip...I would have had a good laugh on that one and yet here I am stating that Icelantic Pilgrim is one of my favorite all time skis....still scratching my head!

What is interesting and hats off to Ron for going for it....technology is NOT sitting on it's laurels...Ron's been riding the wave of new gear as too has Phil and John. The stuff is here to stay. You'll see numerous and various combinations but there's so much excellent product out there....go ahead....try some....you might just like it!

Best,
G

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:32:59 pm by Gary »

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
While I think that none of these skis carve well, the Lhasa pows will carve with pressure on the tips and with ones weight forward. The HB's look like most rockered skis in that one has to "carve" them from a "centered" stance where the weight is aft. All these things are best left in the garage unless there is 2 feet of fresh (or at least some amount of fresh snow). There are so many great carving skis to be on when there are harder conditions. It is nice to know that you won't kill yourself with these on groomers. That can't be said about the Lotus 138's!!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
well, don't forget these are 20/40 no camber skis. The other thing is that I don't like hard groomers and prefer to not ski on any groomer if there's any soft snow around.  But, yes, as Phil always says, right tool...... It's really about the fun, there is no wrong ski if you are having fun. For me, I like the fun feeling of fatter boards and trying new stuff. Taking a nice wider board out in a few inches of powder makes it seem so much deeper and a ski like a HB can float on low angle powder where the thinner ski can't get enough glide. I'll take as much pow as I can get. :) For others its the feeling of a race bred ski and the preciseness of a thinner board underfoot making each turn to perfection. It's all good! What a great sport! 

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
Our boy is skiing well.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
thanks bro' much appreciated

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
Ron, this made me smile on a cold rainy day in Michigan.  Thanks!
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo