Author Topic: Lynn/Jim trips (Park City, White Water Rafting, biking Farm Ride)  (Read 479 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Just to start by wrapping it all up, it was a great week.

Jim and I flew in late friday night.? We decided to NOT ski ( I know, heresy) the first day in order to rest up, shop for food and scope out the "hood".
We stayed at the Redpine condos at the base of The Canyons. (courtesy of VRBO.com).
We headed to See-n-Ski (thanks Svend/Terryl) for discount tickets. We bought tickets to Snowbasin/Super Pass to the Cottonwood Canyons) at a decent discount.

That late afternoon we went for a timeshare spiel at the Canyons. I have done this many, many times before. In fact, almost everytime I have been in PC. They are aggressive about their marketing and I think it is worth my time for a 2 hr apres ski tour and talk for their latest offering, in order to get two free ski tickets to the PC resort of ones choice , plus discount tickets to most of the other resorts. If you know where you want to go, you can buy your tickets for the week at a better discount than at the SLC ski shops that have them. We decided to make our free tickets for DV.

First day of sking was on sunday at Snowbasin. Conditions: packed powder, sun baked, crusted crud speckled with intermittent piles of soft stuff. Hard for me to negotiate, but Jim handled with aplomb on his Watea 84's. But the bathrooms were to die for. And lunch wasn't bad either. And the place is just pretty great overall. Just no new snow for a bit.

Well, it puked snow that next day. Jim commented " I thought Deer Valley was known for its groomed trails!". Okay,? the visibility wasn't great, the skiing was soft and we are basically northeast skiers with minimal powder skills. Still had a blast. I fulfilled a long held desire to try Ontario Bowl that day. It requred a bit of a hike. When we got to the apex of the hike, there were almost NO tracks to be seen. I did wish I had a big, fat pair of powder skis. I had to really sit in the back seat to keep? the tips from diving down. But it was silent, beautiful and untouched. Magical even. Jim and I tracked down some fatties (or fatter skis ) to demo the next day. Most resorts got 12-16 inches from the storm.

Decided to do the Canyons the following day. I had Salomon Foils and Jim had Head Mogo 90's. I really liked mine, I will let Jim give his own review of the Mojo's. We had a fun time in the glades and powder. My long held assessment of The Canyons is that it's a fun mountain with fresh snow, but doesn't hold up as well as other places when its tracked out. We had it at its prime.

Next day: Powder Mountain. A bit of a drive, about 70 min. But a wonderful day. Bluebird, no lines, great snow and temps in the high 20's. The groomed trails basically serve to bring you to the different off piste areas. The only annoying thing was the persistent sound of the helicopter. All day long. Yuck. But fun to imagine being a heliski customer. Really like the place. But only with relatively fresh snow.

Next: Alta, a long favorite of mine. Challenging, as the temps were rising by noon and the snow was starting to bake. Crusty in parts, powder in others, crud with crust and mashed potatoes at others. Jim had a Wide World of Sports moment. Quite a fall; yard sale quality. In an area which was giving me pause and seeing him tumble and then slide was a reminder of how easy it is to get hurt. Fortunately, Jim was not, but the climb out was strenous for both of us. Gasp, gasp, at altitude.

Friday: A day of rest by mutual agreement. Yours truly was truly trashed. So, took a drive to Sundance Resort. Well, what can be said that hasn't. Mt. Timpanogos looming over the base of the gorgeous, rustic, small base area. I want to retire there.? Lotto, please, smile on me!!! :D
Frankly, the place is inspiring. The focus on environment, conservation, the arts, just amazing. Accompanying spa, restaurant, mountain an added bonus.
We should do a RS outing there for 3-4 days.? Non-skiing wives would enjoy as well, I think.

Final day: Solitude. Temps teens at night but rising to 40's during the day. These are the conditions I dislike the most. And which cause me the most fear. Slick powder, intermittent soft stuff, frozen, crusty crud. I had a hard time. Was fallling a lot. Did a yard sale with a small slide. Dug the toes of boots in to keep the head from heading down slope further. Jim came to the rescue. " Are you okay? Will you slide further?" A small test of lifted toes showed immediate downward trajectory. A helping hand was VERY helpful. After that, just looked for nice, smooth easy coast looking bumps when bored by the groomed. But Solitude is a great place. Trees, steeps, groomed, rollers. A nice combo. With fresher snow, would have been a blast. There is something there for everyone. And with warming temps, cooler than the lower resorts would have been. No real slush.

Almost every day after skiing, we would take a "longcut' back to PC. Jim likes to explore. There are number of really interesting canyons, lakes, reservoirs to drive around. It was fun exploring the surrounding country side as well. Farming next to upscale development. Cattle/horses and then a Victorian town.

That's all folks.
Lynn
(ps. might post some pics when I learn how. Thnk I need Jim for this)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:34:05 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Park City, Utah 3/7-3/14
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:46:17 pm »
Sounds like a quality ski trip.? New stuff explored, knowledge gained, physically exhausted and headed back to work to recuperate.? Kudos, Real Skiers in Utah ?? When do we leave ??

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:21:46 pm »
My thoughts on Lynn's post.?
A great week, great ski buddy (even when we decided to hike a quarter mile uphill to get to Ontario bowl).? I don't remember waiting in line anywhere the whole week.

SnowBasin.? Strawberry Bowl had been a favorite of mine in the past.? On this trip, the middle bowl area was better, probably due to better tree protection, some because I am better able to ski the terrain.? The great thing about Strawberry is that there are so few trees that you can ski almost anywhere, but that was a bad thing this time around due to the effect of the sun exposure.

Deer Valley:? SUCCESS is a green slope, and even it was bumped up.? I was very surprised that, given their reputation, Deer Valley wasn't trying to groom some slopes during the day (even if it was snowing 2" per hour).? But we found some good blue trees and slopes, one of our two best days of skiing.

Canyons:? They have opened quite a bit of new terrain all the way to the left of the map, and Lynn and I spent most of the day over there.? One area in particular was on the lee side of a ridge line, and it was easy to be knee deep in powder when you stopped.? I had powder baskets on my poles and could still sink the pole down to the handle in lots of places.? We didn't ski it elegantly or very well, but we had a great time over there.? Route was over the ridge line and down through pine and aspen trees, and into 2 or 3 large open bowls; top much steeper than the bottom.? Pine trees were pretty close together, but we were skiing there pretty slow anyway.? Lots of housing has been built along the sides of the trails since I was last there, much like the layout at Killington with trails and roads intertwined and tunnels or bridges common.

Sundance: Lovely.? Makes you wonder (or appreciate) the dilemma of finding a balance between preserving the naturalness of nature and still allowing the average man to see the beauty of that same natural area.? (and paying the taxes).? Lynn really loved it there, but she's a New York City girl at heart and probably won't ever to be able to really leave "the City".? Note that the Sundance ski resort really didn't appear to have much to offer; it's mostly blues and blacks but only 500 acres or so.? But the overall experience was pretty special.? They have a hallway in the restaurant with pictures of stars contributing and some handwritten sentiments from Redford about Sundance.? Mt. Timpanagos evidently retains some snow all year, so area doesn't dry out.? Would love to go horse-back riding up there some July or August.

Mojo 90's:? Didn't really like them much.? Compared to the Watea 84's the waist width of 90 didn't make up for the fact that the binding mounting point is farther forward (it's more of park ski).? Overall, really enjoyed my Watea 84's all week even though the inside of my ankles could really feel the extra width (the Magnum's waist is 71 mm).? Moved the bindings from +15 back to -15 for the two snowy days, but given the infrequency of me hitting this much snow (and not wanting to tote two skis), I think Gary and Ron's recommendation of the Watea 84 for me as a single ski quiver for Western skiing was excellent.? Lynn commented on how "soft" the skis looked as they flexed in the bumps, but still had good edge hold on harder slopes and great stability skiing in really crusty crud (especially noted the first day at SnowBasin but also the last day at Solitude).? The word "upflappable" comes to mind.

Alta fall:? A quick reminder on how quickly a situation can deteriorate when we get a bit overconfident.? Had to kick steps in the snow just to be able to walk back up the hill, felt like climbing a ladder with ski boots on.? Way too steep and narrow for me; never should have gone through the gate.? A quick jerk back to reality for both of us.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:15:42 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 04:57:27 pm »
Lynn, Jim -- sounds like you had an awesome week. Thanks for the report....now some pics please!

Utah is a special place....all those resorts within 30 to 60 minutes of SLC or PC, all that dry powder, all that sunshine....an embarrassment of riches in a skiers world.  Add to that the nice locals, reasonable prices (we never felt gouged...well...alm ost never.....), and laid-back western atmosphere....sweet!

It's good to hear someone else's perspective on a couple of places that we want to visit next time -- Sundance in particular.  We asked a lot of locals about their favourite resorts, and only a few were keen on Sundance.  Those who panned it were pretty hard-core skiers, though, but from what you say, the place has other qualities beyond the slopes that make it high on the must-do list.  Next year, then..... 8)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:21:02 am »
Jim and Lynn...following suite with the gang...sounds like a wonderful experience and great preview for the rest of us.

I love the concept of exploring resorts. Finding a local like Ron did at Steamboat to guide us in, through and out again of the glades was just fun and so very interesting.

Glad to hear the Watea 84's filled your expectations Jim. It's a wonderful ski and so versatile. I actually suggested Greg look into demoing it for his broken snow ski days.

Wow, you guys covered a whole lot of terrain and sounds like some great conditions to play in. The thing about new mountains, varied terrain and conditions....this stuff challenges you to be a better skier....to be all you can be....to be a force ......yeah Ok...I know you get it.  It's amazing with a little push how one can rise to the surface as long as  a darn tree doesn't get in the way..YIKES!

Hope your season has not ended yet....still snow on the ground...I do however hear my golf clubs whining in the basement and I even thought this morning I heard a chant "bring us up, bring us up"......paid no attention as my skies having just been waxed are awaiting their scrape and brushing for this weekends get away. Their turn will come and they just better be up to the task.

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 08:14:12 am »
Sounds like a gret trip! It's really all about powder isn't it? Nothing sweeter. Silently and effortlessly flying over untracked pow is something you can't explain to non-pow skiers and its something I dream about often. I am so happy to hear you got puked on!  Next time, grab some fatties and really enjoy the ride. Jim, go at least 100 underfoot bro' and try a softer board. Awesome!  Now where's the pictures?

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 08:27:45 am »
........flying over untracked pow is something you can't explain to non-pow skiers and its something I dream about often.

I'm sure the snowflake patterns on your PJ's and all your bed linens help fuel those dreams.? ?:D

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 09:22:59 am »
Svend
How do you know about the PJ's????
 >:D ;D >:D
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:31:28 am »
Well, I don't! (indignant glare in the general direction of Manhattan)? This ain't a Brokeback Mountain moment.? Besides, I've never met Ron, but I hear he's got style sense, even in his PJ's.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:32:36 am by Svend »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 01:37:58 pm »
Sounds like a gret trip! It's really all about powder isn't it? Nothing sweeter. Silently and effortlessly flying over untracked pow is something you can't explain to non-pow skiers and its something I dream about often. I am so happy to hear you got puked on!? Next time, grab some fatties and really enjoy the ride. Jim, go at least 100 underfoot bro' and try a softer board. Awesome!? Now where's the pictures?

Wellll, Ron, to be quite honest I'm not sure that the above quite described our experiences.  ;D? Sometimes it did; but sometimes we weren't flying and sometimes it wasn't effortless.

We did try to rent or demo some fatter skis but with limited selection and success.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 01:40:21 pm by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 02:21:50 pm »
We did try to rent or demo some fatter skis but with limited selection and success.
Well, if you'd gone to Kimball like I told ya to, ya coulda rented some Mythics.  Would have transformed your persona forever, cowboy.

Ron, I hear you, and would love to experience flying on powder some day.  Looks like an amazing experience.  No wonder you dream about it.  Will just have to make it happen! 

Actually, I'm crossing fingers that Alberta gets dumped on in a couple of weeks, as I'll be out there in early April for work and right near the Banff resorts again.  Hope to get at least one, and maybe two days of skiing in -- Nakiska and Lake Louise or Sunshine.  Will have to rent some skis again, but there should be lots of choice.  Sunshine Mtn. has a wide range of Head skis. Will see if I can get a powder lesson too, if conditions are good.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 02:38:03 pm »
Well, if you'd gone to Kimball like I told ya to, ya coulda rented some Mythics.? Would have transformed your persona forever, cowboy.

We did go to Kimball quite a bit (Starbucks, ABC store and two restaurants).? However, for skis I was looking for something wide, not a MID-FAT like the Mythic Riders.? However, I'm not sure that this "cowboy" wants to have his persona changed forever.? Are we back to BrokeBack again?? ?;D ;D ;D

The Mythic Rider (I think) is 122-88-110.
My Watea 84's are 126-84-112.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

So I would get 4mm of extra waist but give up offsetting width in the shovel and tail.? Not enough difference to notice, I assumed.? ;D? But I'm glad you like your Mythics; I also like my 84's.
I thought about renting Watea 94's, but they were only available in the 186+ length and that seemed long (my 84's are 176).

BTW, my experience with horses was equally challenging.  A friend from high school had recently acquired access to a couple of horses and he had become a pretty good rider, so we decided to go for a ride while I was visiting.  In Kansas, open territory, and we were having a great time until we decided it was time to head home and to recross the Walnut river.  The dirt on the far side of the river was a bit muddy and his horse sank into the mud up to its haunches (while mine is still standing knee deep in the river.  I was convinced that the horse was going to break it's leg, or that we wouldn't be able to get it out of the mud.  I can identify with it now a bit, because it is just as hard to walk in snow boots in waist deep snow.  Fortunately all worked out OK except for horse and rider being quite muddy, but riding horses isn't quite as easy as it looks on television, and the sense of being responsible for the well-being of the horse was sort of over-whelming at the time (as was the later experience of realizing that family now included a child and I was responsible for the welfare).

So Lynn, have we beat horses and BrokeBack mountain to death enough??

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:01:21 pm by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 03:58:41 pm »
Just kidding you about the Mythics, BTW.  Wasn't seriously suggesting that they were any better than the 84's for powder.....just having some fun.

Cheers,
Svend

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 04:06:16 pm »
No worries, mate.

I bought the 84's primarily because I seldom get that kind of snow on trips west and wanted a "somewhat" wide 1 quiver ski.?

Because of the amount of snow, I actually considered the Mythics (maybe in a longer length) until I realized that they weren't dimensionally enough different that I could tell the difference, and we couldn't find anything up in the 100mm width.? So Lynn wound up trying some Salomon Foils (about 85mm) and I tried the Mojo 90's that I knew weren't that much different and really didn't enjoy very much.

PS. We did appreciate the Kimball Junction tips; carried the print out of you mail message around in the car all week.
PPS. I was editing my other message while you responded, so go back and check out my horse experience.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:10:13 pm by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 04:36:54 pm »
So Lynn, have we beat horses and BrokeBack mountain to death enough??
OK with me...? 8)

But a great story about the horses.? That must have been a strange feeling, seeing a horse half swallowed by mud.? Must have driven the poor creature nuts with fear when it realized it couldn't move.

Interesting that you weren't able to get decent float in powder on your Wateas.? At 176, I would have thought that would have been plenty of square inches underfoot to get you through.? Makes me wonder how well my Mythics will do in the deep stuff...they're 178's, and I'm heavier than you.? I'm not experienced here, so I guess the only way to find out is to try.? Will have to coax Ron into giving me a powder lesson, though.? Nudge, nudge....

I bought the 84's primarily because I seldom get that kind of snow on trips west and wanted a "somewhat" wide 1 quiver ski.
BTW, that's the same reasoning I had when deciding to buy the Mythics -- a single ski for trips west and also good for fresh snow / crud here in the east.? I could have used them at least five times here in the east this winter.? As really deep powder skiing is likely going to be a rarity for me, I saw these as being much more versatile.? Reasonable length, too, at 178.  Anything longer would have been too cumbersome on the groomed and in bumps/crud, in my estimation.  Besides, they're a lot of fun on groomed runs.? ;D

Kimball Junction has a lot going on now.? Did you find the coffee roastery? Pretty darn good espresso shots to be had there.? We took a couple of pounds of beans home too (just finished them, actually) and they were very good.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:22:31 pm by Svend »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 09:05:25 am »
Just to clarify, flying on powder doesn't ncessarily going fast, it's just the sensation that bottomless pow gives.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 09:29:10 am »
Just to clarify, flying on powder doesn't ncessarily going fast, it's just the sensation that bottomless pow gives.

From my very limited experience, I think "flying" is good terminology. It takes a certain amount of speed before the plane can lift off, and there seems to be a certain threshhold of "letting go" before the skis begin to transition from long snowshoes to something that flies in the powder, and that is the challenge for me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:31:24 am by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 10:35:21 am »
Ron, I didn't take flying to mean going fast.  Pretty much got it that you meant the "floating on clouds", skimming over the surface of the earth sensation that you must get.  Small wonder you're hooked on it, compared to the rattle-me-bones skiing on eastern hardpack.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 06:32:51 am »
Jim, you really can surf pow at very slow speeds, You don't need to be going very fast at all. It's really about staying loose and relaxed, letting go, too much focus on what your feet are doing and then all breaks down. Chilll dude! Put on some Marley :)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 06:46:35 am »
Ron, I didn't take flying to mean going fast.? Pretty much got it that you meant the "floating on clouds", skimming over the surface of the earth sensation that you must get.? Small wonder you're hooked on it, compared to the rattle-me-bones skiing on eastern hardpack.

yup, just wanted to be sure. In addition to the pain it causes my leg, I have lost my enthusiasm for carving on hard groomers. Soft groomers are always fun but, give me a powder or piled up soft snow day and I am very happy.....

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
In honor of Gary
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 08:41:10 pm »
Choices - choices - choices

To go Gary's way, or seek Rhapsody.? That is the question.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:39:22 am by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 08:43:56 pm »
Choices - choices - choices.?

Tell me the truth, are you feeling lucky today?? ? ;)? I THINK I CAN -- I THINK I CAN.? chug chug toot toot? >:D

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:43:08 am by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 08:45:48 pm »
Choices -- choices -- choices !!

I'm not sure, but maybe I should have stayed on the groomed slopes on the other side of the ridge.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:27:14 am by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 08:48:52 pm »

choices - choices - choices

;D But only if we win the Lottery.  ;D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 07:45:24 am »
Great pictures!  I love the tree shot, you were skiing those?  Good job!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 02:01:24 pm »
Oh boy...I get the hebegeebees looking at those Aspens.....

Now Gary's Glade looks like it started with Evergreens...now those....me like those!

Looked like a beautiful day for sure!

G

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 07:30:56 pm »
The first two pictures are at Solitude.
The third one I can't remember where we were.
Quote from: Jim
Canyons, way over to trail map left
But yes, Jim skied that whole thing.
Completely eschewed the groomers for those kinds of spots!! He's turned into a tree lover!

Last picture in front of the house is at the Canyons. We eyeballed a few "small ski chalets" we
wouldn't mind skiing out of, while there. Lotto enabled, of course.

THe picture of me with my skis hanging over the "cliff" area. I am guessing you already know......
I took the cat-track and DID NOT go down the first steep pitch. Wasn't feeling lucky or skilled that day.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:42:14 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 06:53:03 am »
Excellent! OK, then Jim, it's you me Greg and Ira ( a real steamboat tree rat) in the good stuff then!  That looks like the trees  over by Priest creek and 2:30 trees. Very pretty and once your in there, its so cool how the line just seems to open up.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 11:52:21 am »
Wellll.? I think I met Ira last year, and You and Greg and especially Ira are ALL in a different league than me.

Y'all SKI through the trees.? I manage to avoid hitting trees unintentionally (grabbing one can be a desperation slow down maneuver) but it isn't pretty.
But I am getting to like the experience and the challenge.

I will admit to being pretty cautious remembering you and Gary's tree experiences from a couple of years back.? >:D >:D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:54:09 am by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 12:21:19 pm »
jump in with us and you will see you already have the skills. Ira taught me a very good technique that works well.  Essentially, you don't make a lot of super tight turns (although you may have to) but nice round turns looking for the larger openings and clusters. You do need to be able to two foot ski and allow your edges to drift and very importantly- make good pole plants. This was my biggest issue, once you let your hands get behind you, it's tough to make good turns. Same goes for powder and bumps

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
White Water Rafting in West Virginia (June 14th)
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 01:43:03 pm »
I originally posted this in Ron's summer training blog, but then decided that was too much of a Hijack.

Modified trip report, not related to skiing, from a trip a couple of weeks back.?

We took a circle trip from Washington, DC to West Virginia down to the tidewater of Virginia and back.? Went white water rafting in the New River Gorge in WV, mostly Class IV and V rapids with a couple of 3's.? I've been a few times before when the water lever was 2-4' above "mean low water".? This day it was at 9' and was far better than any of my other trips.? In fact, above 11' the state stops them from rafting the Gorge.? Fun video to watch as a 16' raft (8 people, 1 guide, large ice chest) drops completely out of site and then comes up out of the hole and over the wave at a 30 degree angle and blasts through 2-3 feet of breaking white water at the top of the wave.? FUN-FUN-FUN - and a little bit wet and cold, huh Lynn.

PS - of the 4 rafts total in our group, not a single person wound up in the water unintentionally.? People in the front row of the rafts did frequently wind up in the laps of the second row people, and Lynn whacked herself in the face on one maneuver when the rapid required (or the guide desired) to drive the nose of the raft up onto a rock and then spin the back of the boat to the right and back into the current and around the "danger zone". This manuever, I believe, is used because of the likelihood of having the current drive you up on the rock sideways if you just try to ride through the rapid as the current takes a sharp right turn.? I think this was the rock where I've seen other boats flipped as they get washed against the rock.? :D

Also visited Monticello and Colonial Williamsburg and did an 18 mile (RT) bike ride from Williamsburg down to Jamestown and back, and then another shorter ride the next day just sightseeing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:18:26 am by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 02:51:46 pm »
WOW, now that's a cool trip for sure. Not sure if I'm up for the big water thing, I'll stick to jumping off 350' cliffs.....  Any pics???? PLEASE>>>>>>

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Wet Virginia - New River Gorge rafting
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 11:45:39 am »
Limited pictures, but here are some commercial links. It seems a bit quirky as far as the URL taking you to the right place.? The link should take you to photo 93 of 129 on the 6/14/09 8:30 trip.

Another couple in our raft got permission to wear bicycle helmets instead of the clunky (and hot) yellow things so we did too.? This is the last series of rapids at the end of the day, but follow the pictures as we "ride the wave train".? The two people on the front are "trying to ride the bull".? The front paddlers moved back one row, and these two try to stay on the front tube with nothing but a rope to hang on to (the one guy never even quite got up there).? I am in the back seat (how appropriate, huh) and Lynn is two seats in front of me.? Notice the excellent synchronization of paddle positions on our side of the boat; hard to paddle effectively if each person is "doing their own thing".? The guide in the back calls when and how many strokes to paddle to get to where she wants to be, and sometimes calls one side or the other to back paddle as a way to quickly spin the boat.?

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=0GWN00GD000092&po=92

If you have some extra time, go back to the vicinity of picture 25 on the 8:30 trip and watch someone from a different boat swimming (to use the word loosely) through the rapids.

After you finish the series above, click on the 9:15 trip and watch the first raft (after the kayaker). This series is not us, but is my favorite rapid.? This is only a Class 3 (most of the river is class 4 and 5) and is called "Surprise" and, as the first rapid you come to, it often is exactly that.? On a trip several years back I was paddling in the front, we went in a little bit sideways, and I got completely flushed out of the boat and flipped.? The photographer got a great picture of me in the spray with nothing but the blue soles of my tennis shoes visible in the top of the spray.? What a rush.? Normally "Surprise" is a drop with a single big wave.? This year it was less of a drop but with a series of about 5 standing waves.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:19:01 am by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: West Virginia - New River Gorge rafting
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2009, 02:12:21 pm »
YOU ONE CLAZY DUDE THERE JIMMY BOY!? ? :o

I've done rapids before but not like that..my hats off to ya....

Now...next time we've got a 6 foot drop on the mountain....you better be right on my tail....cause if you're doing this kind of stuff....

It makes skiing what we ski look boring!? >:D

Nice!? ::)
G
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:20:13 am by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
OK this looks like something I need to do. Looks scary but that's the idea!!! Good job, I think I would start out on the easy stuff first though.....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:19:20 am by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
OK this looks like something I need to do. Looks scary but that's the idea!!! Good job, I think I would start out on the easy stuff first though.....

Ron, you and your wife could easily do this and don't need anything easier.? Lynn was just fine, and loved it except for being cold.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:19:07 am by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Ron,
This was my first real experience doing white water rafting.
The pictures are very dynamic and it was definitely FUN.

However, I NEVER felt "endangered". I always felt like the boat was in control and the guide very clear with what she was doing.

I did decline to "ride the bull" by sitting on the front of the raft for the last set of milder rapids.
It was a bit chilly also. Temps in low 70's, so being wet led to goose bumps.

If we go again, I definitely want to graduate to the next river up on the difficulty ladder-the Gauley River.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:18:46 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: West Virginia - New River Gorge rafting
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 09:41:07 am »
Hmm, OK, sounds good and fun but I'm with Lyn, I don't like cold water (its the whole, Shrinkage thing maybe :) )

Last week I had to wade into the river to help 2 little kids out during thier tube float on the Yampa, they got caught in an edie and couldn't get back into the main channel. I waded out to about mid-thigh water and it was icy cold, water was in the low 60's...brrrr.? That was cold for me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:20:25 am by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
The Farm Ride trip report
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:17 am »
Lynn and I did the FarmRide around Amherst Massachusetts this weekend.? Lovely countryside and a well organized trip.? We did the metric Century (which is actually only 62 miles) but was supposed to be 66 miles to the end of the ride dinner, where we encountered corn fresh out of the field, salad, grilled burgers and brats, free Harpoon beer and free massages.

However, we actually wound up riding 78 miles that day total.? About 3/4 of a mile past one town we decided to turn around and go back for Ice Cream (yes, it was definitely worth the? extra distance).? At another place, the county had resurfaced one of the roads and covered the trail marker the organizers had spray painted on the road the previous weekend.? So we continued up a noticeable hill and some distance past that before we saw other riders coming back and letting us know that they (and we) had missed the turn down by the railroad tracks -- going back down the hill was nice, but not worth distance (so much for not following the guide as we intended).? Then, after dinner it was an easy 6 miles back to the hotel, and the gentle ride after the massage was probably very worth the distance.? Didn't really have any soreness the next day at all but did have to borrow some chamois cream from another rider at the second rest stop.

Prepositioned rest stops.? At mile 21 they had the first rest stop that was Gatorade and snacks appropriate for a long bike ride.? At mile marker 51 they had the "pie rest stop" that was 3 types of pie with whipped cream (and seconds were allowed).? Oh, they had GatorAde as well.? At mile market 44 (in between) ad libbed rest stop 1.5 that was very good Ice Cream (in Northhampton, I think).

A great day.

On Sunday we slept in a bit, then did 9 miles to a Kayak rental place on the Connecticut river and paddled around down there for a bit before riding back. By the end of the weekend, I needed to go back to work to get some rest. Neither of us were really sore, just worn out.  Had a great time.

Most important of all, I finished the 78 miles in a very satisfying time (averaged 13 miles per hour not counting rest stops) considering that the longest I had ever ridden in one day was 48 miles.

I will let Lynn report on the Saturday night party.? I will just say that she earned both a Hawaiian Lei and some Mardi Gras beads.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:48:27 pm by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: The Farm Ride trip report
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2009, 09:47:45 am »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome ride and it just sounds like a blast. So great and you kicked butt.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
I am pleased to report that after many training rides, visualization exercises and some valium taken prior ;), Jim and I did another NYC touring ride.

We did a loop of Central Park (6mi) so Jim could see the damage done during last weeks storm. (100's of 150 yr old trees felled).
Then to Broadway and the bike lane down to and across the Brooklyn Bridge.
 Almost all "bike lanes" are on roads shared with cars,carts, baby carriages and many clueless tourists.

A stop at South St Seaport for lunch (calamari, fish, salad) and then back up the bike lane by the East River.
Did about 24miles.
AM VERY HAPPY to report that no bones were broken, bikes were intact and Jim thought the hill at the north end of Central Park is now "easy". ;) ;D

Not much of an aerobic work-out, but fun, if a bit nerve -wracking.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Lynn, I think I resent the categorization of me as a 'clueless tourist' but I guess the shoe fits.? New York is certainly not Kansas.

The pedestrian/bike lane between and above the traffic lanes on the Brooklyn bridge was very scenic.? A view of downtown Manhatten, view of the Statue of Liberty in the background.? Very nice.

Central Park is always a treat, horsedrawn tourist wagons with their droppings, pedal carts full of tourists with their inattentive pedalers, and lots of people paying no attention whatsoever to those around them.? The mere fact that there is a 6 mile loop in the midst of so much activity and effectively isolated from automobile traffic is commendable.? I am sincerely amazed that someone had the foresight to set aside Central Park back when it could still be set aside and preserved from development.

The "bike lane" on Broadway I'm not so sure about.? Yes we had our own traffic light, but having two lanes of traffic to your right turning left on top of you is not relaxing, nor are the number of pedestrians wandering the intersections (dodging between cars and bikes). Yipes.? I think we rode more with one foot unclipped and at the ready than both feet pedaling;? I probably should have changed to my other pedals and shoes.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:10:39 pm by jim-ratliff »

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
I am pleased to report that after many training rides, visualization exercises and some valium taken prior ;), Jim and I did another NYC touring ride.

We did a loop of Central Park (6mi) so Jim could see the damage done during last weeks storm. (100's of 150 yr old trees felled).
Then to Broadway and the bike lane down to and across the Brooklyn Bridge.
 Almost all "bike lanes" are on roads shared with cars,carts, baby carriages and many clueless tourists.

A stop at South St Seaport for lunch (calamari, fish, salad) and then back up the bike lane by the East River.
Did about 24miles.
AM VERY HAPPY to report that no bones were broken, bikes were intact and Jim thought the hill at the north end of Central Park is now "easy". ;) ;D

Not much of an aerobic work-out, but fun, if a bit nerve -wracking.
Sounds like fun!
I don't know why I don't do this kind of thing.  I should sign up for the fall colour tour...
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Agreed!
It's okay to NOT be goal oriented with every athletic activity.
Unless "sight seeing" is the goal.

A fall foliage ride should be lovely.

Jim and I are taking our bikes to the Finger Lakes area Columbus Day weekend and are staying in a B&B.
There are a number of "mapped" bike rides between 20-30 that we plan to do.
That weekend is usually prime fall foliage up there.

Hopefully it won't rain as has happened so many Columbus weekends!.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:23:03 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Lynn,

That sounds like a great trip.? I went to grad school in Ithaca at the southern tip of Lake Cayuga, one of the finger lakes.? The finger lakes are gorgeous that time of year.? There are lots of small vineyards to visit along the lakes and several spectacular water falls like Taghkanic Falls.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Thanks for the tip!!
Will try to at least take a drive to see. I really enjoy waterfalls.

:D
"Play it Sam"