Author Topic: Clendenin: breakthrough pad / little toe drifting ??  (Read 131 times)

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Clendenin: breakthrough pad / little toe drifting ??
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:55:33 pm »
Gary & other Clendenin aficionados,

I've been reading Clendenin's book and have a question for you.? I have good control of my little toe edge for pmts superphantom style turns.? Moreso at larger angles and edge-locked, less so when brushed.

But I imagine that when drifiting at low edge angle or sideslipping solely on the uphill ski that I would have some difficulties because it took me some ankle strengthening to develop pmts-style little toe edge control.? Is there any standard set of dryland ankle strength or balance exercises that Clendenin et al recommend to help with this move?? We've had rain or slush the last few weekends, so I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I hope to before the season is over.? Partly to see how the "four words" fit me and even more to see if I can gain yet more LTE control for my pmts technique.

thanks for any pointers or suggestions,

-todd

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Todd, I don't think you need to do any dry land drills to build strength. It's a very easy controlled method and you really don't ever (intentionally) put all your weight on the uphill foot, It's a method that uses both feet and depending on turn shape and terrain you modify that degree of weight/effort/angle. First start out using pure drifting then slowly work in the uphill edge to initiate the turn. You can work up to turning pretty much like the two footed release drill.  It didn't take long to make extremely slow, controlled turns with both skis parallel; almost effortlessly. Turns should be very smooth and almost totally brushed (using HH terms) In JC terms they are drifted turns using the uphill ski to modifty the radius and speed. The uphill edge really gets engaged after the skis go flat first in the intended direction. One thing I can't stress enough with Clendenin is the importance of a proper pole plant, it is critical!!!!  Make sure you study that part. I am recalling this from memory but I think he has drills in the book and on the web.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Hey Todd..

One of the primary tools in Johns method is pulling the uphill ski in towards the downhill ski, actually scraping it .....think like shaving a block of ice. This motion starts the skis turning in the selected direction. Then, the shape of the turn and speed can be managed by how much weight is dialed in to the uphill ski. Keep in mind also that while you're pulling that uphill ski in you are also pulling it back so your skis stay in line as much as possible which actually keeps your hips squared.

As far as dryland exercises....one that I like for the ankles is: sit in a chair with your feet flat on the ground. Concentrate on one foot at a time and tip that foot to the outside edge and then back to the inside edge. Do 3 sets of 10 for each foot. I have found this to strength ankles and increase flexibility.

The other one I like is using 5 lb ankle weights, tip and lift one leg slightly off the ground and pull it in towards the leg bearing all the weight. While starting it on it's baby toe edge, scrape it in and lift it so the bottom of your foot touches the calf of the weight bearing leg. Again, 3 sets of 10 seems to work for me. I believe this helps me strengthen the muscles used in the scraping and tipping motion.

Best,
Gary

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Thanks to all for the input.  Gotta hit the road for Vermont now before traffic picks up.

-todd