Author Topic: Architects needed -- building a quiver  (Read 545 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Architects needed -- building a quiver
« on: February 16, 2009, 01:31:03 pm »
Building two quivers, actually...one for me and one for Terryl.

OK guys! This is an RFP to all the consulting architects out there.? Need some advice.? Willing to pay with beverage of your choice? ?;D

The trip to Utah taught us that it would really be a good idea to have a back-up pair of wider skis to complement our Speeds.? For one thing, all that fresh snow on the untouched slopes was just a crying shame to ski past on the groomers on our narrow rippers -- couldn't even try to go there.? And on the groomers themselves....well, it wasn't fun.? All the soft stuff got clumped up pretty quickly into big mounds -- exhausting to ski through/around/over on the Speeds.?

We rented wider skis after day 2, and what a difference they made! I rented Rossi Phantom 80's for a day, and found them stable and easy to ski, but boring and lifeless.? No energy, no fun.? Switched to Dynastar Mythic Riders for the next day and loved them.? I never thought that a wide ski could carve like that.? Sweet! They were a lot of fun.? A bit wider too -- 88mm in the waist.

Terryl had Rossi Voodoo 80's for both days, and regretted not switching.? Halfway through the second day she had decided that they were as boring and dead as my Phantoms.? OK in the soft stuff, but little rebound in the tail. No edge grip when it got harder, either.

Some background -- we're looking for some versatile skis that will take us into some powder, blast through crud, good in bumped up snow, and still retain the fun factor, energy, carve and edge grip on the groomers.? They should (ideally) be easy turning and agile.

OK, before we get to specific skis, there are some important basics to be decided.?

So the first question is -- how wide? Do we need to go to 90 mm to get decent float in powder? Or will 80 mm suffice? What about 78 mm?

Second question -- how long? This is probably related to question 1, in that the total surface area underfoot is presumably what matters in choosing a ski with sufficient float (am I right?).? FYI, Terryl is 5'7" tall, 130 lbs, strong skier;? I'm 6'2", 230 lbs, and learning.? Neither of us has any experience in powder skiing (I, at least, felt like an absolute beginner on my first excursions into the fluffy stuff).

Third question -- how aggressive and stiff can they be before powder skiing gets compromised? Should we be looking at softer skis, or can we stay in the high performance realm of the Supershapes?

I've got a short list of skis that would appeal and that I think would be good, but I'd like to hear from you about width and length first, and go from there.? We'll see if I'm on the right track in my wish list.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:34:47 pm by Svend »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Architects needed -- building a quiver
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:40:21 pm »
For Terryl's consideration:
Have heard and read good reviews for the women's Volkl Aura. Pretty wide waist. Don't love the graphics, but have heard two women skiers rave about it.
No personal experience. I want to demo these though.
Fischer Vision Zeal has good write ups as well. It's also on my demo list. Haven't experienced any real powder this year to warrant demoing a big, wide waisted ski.

Terryl, remember that as a smaller, lighter person, you do not need the kind of waist that Svend needs to float (in any sense of the word >:D >:D). Others could more eloquently give the equivalent between men/womens ski widths at the waist and powder float.

Sorry Svend, couldn't help myself. You look quite svelte in the pics.  ;)

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:32:24 pm »

I'm not very knowledgeable here either, but I've never let that stop me from offering opinions.  Ski should be longitudinally softer, but there are still powder skis that have good torsional stiffness.  In Peter's reviews, look for skis that still have good carving numbers.  Are you planning on bringing the entire quiver with you on trips West, or does the second ski need to be a one-ski quiver for the trips.  If you have your Speeds, then you can go even wider for the second ski. (like what Ron and Gary now have instead of 84-100).

I would add Fischer Vision Vapor for Terryl, and suggest mid-70's to mid-80's waist for her.  The Head Great One might be a great ski for her. Peter's reviews say female version of the 76, but it looks more to me like a female version of the iM78.  In fact, she might just like the iM78.  You should also factor in the ego factor, and make sure that she is on something that won't go as fast or float as well as your pair.  It's called handicapping the race.

The Mythic Rider is an excellent ski and there is a lot to be said for demoing and knowing that you liked it.  I think Svend should be in the mid-80's to mid-90's range.  Gary, what would you say to a Fischer Watea 94 for Svend?  At your size, I would assume that you want the longest ski the manufacturer makes in that model (low to mid 180's probably unless you go really wide).

Ron may be able to hook you up with some Icelantics when end of year gets closer.  Lynn says the graphics are the most beautiful she's seen, and that is probably all that Terryl needs to hear.

Trade-off.  Do you want to buy the quiver, or do you just want to know ahead of time that if it snows a lot you are going to rent/demo.  You can demo a lot of days for the price of a new/used pair and not have to lug two pair through airports and what not.  And the selection of wide skis for demo is currently pretty broad because of the market hype. 
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:07:43 pm »
I'm in my second year with the Mythic Rider and I enjoy it.? The first year I skiied it in 178 and this year I'm using the 184.? I find I like the 184 better.? I'm 6'2" 235.

Great ski that performs welll on-piste and piste-off? >:D

Just my two cents.

Come on out to Steamboat the first week of March and we'll help you buy a fat ski.

After further review, this sounds like a job for Phil.

Phil:? Come to Steamboat the first week of March and help this man buy some fat skis.? ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:47:31 pm by gregmerz »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:09:12 pm »
Svend
Too bad you didn't like the Rossignol Phantoms. They're on sale on Tramdock for  $495 at this moment.
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 08:18:06 pm »
Too bad you didn't like the Rossignol Phantoms. They're on sale on Tramdock for? $495 at this moment.
That's OK, I won't mourn the lost bargain.? Scott (dawg from Epic) has a few really good skis for around $500 now too, incl. the Mythic and the Elan 888.? I've been chatting with him by PM and phone, and he's been giving some advice too.? Nice guy.

Terryl, remember that as a smaller, lighter person, you do not need the kind of waist that Svend needs to float (in any sense of the word >:D >:D). Others could more eloquently give the equivalent between men/womens ski widths at the waist and powder float.

Sorry Svend, couldn't help myself. You look quite svelte in the pics.? ;)
?Yeah, sure Lynn.? You sound remorseful as always? ::).? Svelte my a**, I gotta lose about 40 pounds before I look svelte again.

Jim:

I've read nothing but excellent reviews about the Great One, incl. on the German site (they raved about it, which means something when the Germans get excited like that).? Good call! Question is, whether it is wide enough at 77mm for good float? My guess is yes, but we've gotta get the right length, then, eh?

Not planning on carrying four pairs of skis when we travel west, just the wide ones, so they have to be good in all conditions - powder, groomed, crud.? A one-ski travel quiver for western big mountains.? Supershapes will (probably) stay home, unless the forecast is for no new snow.? On the other hand, I suppose we could get a couple of double ski bags.... ;D

As for your width recommendations, that's pretty much what I was thinking -- mid-80s to 90s for me.? But I'm not sure about Terryl, though, whether she would need a 90mm ski to get good powder and crud performance.? She is almost 100 lbs lighter than I, after all.? I'll need some advice on that question.

BTW, I should add that you needn't limit recommendations for Terryl to women's skis.? Most of their graphics she finds to be too girly-cutesy, and often prefers the graphics of a unisex ski.? She can handle the performance of a unisex ski too (as being on the SS Speed indicates), and some (not all) of the women's skis are made softer and lighter, which may not be necessary.

As for buying the quiver -- Yes.? We'd get enough use out of a versatile wide all-mountain ski both here in the east, and in our trips west, that it would be worth it to buy.? The rentals for just two days cost us $170 already.? Doesn't take long to make up the cost of buying.? Plus we could use them at our home mountain, which is a place where we would otherwise be disinclined to rent.

Greg:

Thanks for the affirmation of the Mythic Rider.? I really liked that ski a lot -- never got piste-off with it? ;D, and was totally surprised by it's performance on groomed snow.? Very quick edge-to-edge, and great energy in the tail.? How do you find skiing the 178 wrt. short turns and agility? Still able to make quick turns? Change turn shape in mid-swing? I don't think I would go longer than 178 on it, or with any other wide ski for that matter, as I still would like to be able to use it here in the east on the short runs we have.? Anything longer than 180 would just be too long and cumbersome, is my guess.? Versatile is the name of the game here.

And thanks for invite to Steamboat to be my personal shopper.? Your fee will be fermented or distilled beverages - your choice.? ?;D

It would be good to hear from Phil.? I read one of his reviews of the Elan 888 from about a year or two ago, and that is a ski that I am interested in.? ?Highly recommended by Scott (dawg) as livelier and more energetic than the Mythic, but with great crud and powder performance.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:27:24 pm by Svend »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 09:56:59 pm »
There was a post on Epic (and copied here) at one time by PhysicsMan about the different surface area needed by lighter skiers versus a 200 pound guy.? My aged memory is that 70mm for 120 pounds is pretty equivalent to 100mm for 200 pounder.? Of course, there is a lot more that goes into the real ski feel, but I would imagine that mid-70's to low 80's would be an excellent soft snow ski for Terryl.

Lynn is slightly shorter than Terryl and weights less than 120 and skis the Head Every Thangs in a 156 (72mm waist) and has skied up to about 10" of powder in those, but they are really her EveryThing (name pun intended) ski and not a West coast only ski.? She also demoed the Fischer Vision Vapor (76mm waist) and really liked that but was concerned that 76 mm was a bit wide to bring back to the east.? Ultimately liked the Every Thangs more (and hasn't second guessed that decision a bit).? If she were to buy a soft snowski at this point in addition to the Every Thangs, I think she would be looking at 78-84mm waists.

I would assume that 165-172 would be good lengths for Terryl's size.? What length is she skiing the Speeds at?

However, I see little reason why you would pay much attention to east coast versatility in the Mythic Rider, just so you can use it on your local hill.? ???? You've got an excellent ski for that; focus on picking the ski for the task at hand.? You don't want/need a quiver of "do it everywhere" skis.? ?;)? FWIW, Greg is very much your size and in a ski where float and surface area is important I would give his recommendation a lot of consideration.? It's soft enough that you will still be able to turn it, and the extra few centimeters are probably worthwhile. (and, as you know, Dawgcatching is a good knowledgeable guy as well)

PS. It's wonderful that you 'hit' a snow dump week; that doesn't happen to me very often, certainly less than one trip in four.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:18:16 pm by jim-ratliff »

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 05:18:43 am »
I simply find the Mythic to be a good "do-it-all" ski.? Various turns shapes are capable.? It is stable in cut-up snow, the tip does not get defllected.? It is also not overly heavy yet I've not found a speed limit on it.? Should you think you want this one, Ron has a line on a pair of 178's...

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 06:33:21 am »
I would assume that 165-172 would be good lengths for Terryl's size.? What length is she skiing the Speeds at?
Terryl's Speeds are 163.? She would have no problem with a longer ski, esp. one more forgiving and with softer flex for soft snow.? FYI, she got back into skiing four years ago, after a 20 year absence, and skied her first season on 177 Volkl Carvers - stiff, sidewall construction, little sidecut -- no problem handling those, at all.

Your comments on Lynn's skis are most useful - that really helps a lot to focus in on the right width.?

However, I see little reason why you would pay much attention to east coast versatility in the Mythic Rider, just so you can use it on your local hill.? ???? You've got an excellent ski for that; focus on picking the ski for the task at hand.? You don't want/need a quiver of "do it everywhere" skis.
Just to clarify, I'm not trying to replace our Speeds with another do-it-all ski.? The new skis are really to be oriented for the western conditions, but if we choose the right length, then why not be able to use it here as well? There are at least four or five days every season at our local hill when we could really use a wider crud buster.? In fact, we've stayed away from our hill on some days like that because we didn't have the right skis.? After a big snowfall, it doesn't take more than a few hours for the hill to get badly chopped up into big bumps.  We just wait a day until the groomers pack it down, and then go.

Back to width vs. length, based on the float I was able to get in knee deep snow on the Rossi Phantoms, at 80mm, 175 length, I see no reason to go much longer for a ski that is even wider than that.? Thus, a Mythic, for instance, at 178 and 88mm would be even better, but not overly long.  Bottom line, my instinct is that a ski of 85 to 90mm underfoot, and say 175 to 180 cm long, would a most versatile beast indeed.? But then, this is new territory for me, and it's great to get opinions and guidance.

I imagine that choosing a good binding is also important.? One that slides on a rail would give us the ability to move the foot back when in soft snow, and thus lighten the tip.? Am I right on this? Railflex can do this...but can any others?

Greg:? did you find the Mythic in 178 too short for deep snow? If so, what was your limit (how deep) at that length? Is the 184 still reasonably agile and quick edge-to-edge, or does it become cumbersome in tight spaces like narrow runs, etc.?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:39:39 am by Svend »

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 07:06:19 am »
I simply found the 184 to be more versatile.  A little easier to engage and just a little more stable.  Bigger sweet spot.  I've found no conditions where I would consider the MR in 184 to be cumbersome.  Even skiied them in the bumps and I don't go looking for bumps...

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 07:08:12 am »
Svend (and all others): ?good morning.

Re your Mythic Riders. ?What I was reacting to was the response to Greg saying that you would choose the shorter length just so you could still use it for shorter turns at your local hill, and that sounded a bit like compromising your basic goal to accommodate using it east coast as well. ?I think, in reality, that going with the 180+ Length won't eliminate using it at your local hill, but I was waiting on Greg to describe the difference between the 178 and 184.

I was probably a bit long in Terryl's ski lengths even though she could handle it; one size up from what Lynn skis is probably correct (so 160-167).

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 08:32:07 am »
Svend....I'm thinking either the 178 or 184 iin the MR s a good choice for you for crud, broken snow, light powder. I think if you were skiing snow shin high and above...rent something 95 to 105 underfoot.

I think for Terryl...she could great performance from somehting 78-88 underfoot for ankle high up to knee high. I think the ski length would be between the middle of her eyes and top of her forhead. Head has some great skis to offer in this area as well as Fischer. She might even find the Watea 78 a true ripper and quite versiatile for those broken snow days anywhere.

Jim's right on the Watea 94...it too is a very versatile and quick edge to edge ski. It's also good in the bumps as well, not as much stored up energy as the Mythic Ryder making it more playful and easier to arc.
I have become a big Icelantic fan and either the Pilgrim or Nomad would be great chocies for powder, bumps and crud skis.
Best,
G

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 08:44:29 am »
I simply found the 184 to be more versatile.? A little easier to engage and just a little more stable.? Bigger sweet spot.? I've found no conditions where I would consider the MR in 184 to be cumbersome.? Even skiied them in the bumps and I don't go looking for bumps...
Greg, that's very good to know. ?Thanks for that. ?I've never skied on anything longer than a 175, so this is new to me. ?My assumptions and preconceptions about how a longer and wider ski handles are being blown away pretty quickly here. ?And it's all good!

Jim -- gotcha! All clear....

As for Terryl's length, my thoughts were similar to yours -- about the 165 to 168 would be perfect. ?That still puts the ski just under head-height, and should be easily manageable given the right sidecut and flex.

Gary -- thanks for the recommendations.? The Wateas certainly are on the short list.? Nothing but positive reviews and comments on these, and they sound like a great all-round ski.? Give us the liveliness and agility that we're looking for (your Fun Factor!), and the float and crud busting that we need to get us through the rough and deep.

OK, so here's our personal short list, in no particular order of preference:

Terryl -- Head Great One (78mm); Watea 78; Watea 84; Head Monster 82; Elan 777; Elan 888 (both Elans highly recommended by Dawg - the 888 being his top choice overall)

Me -- Watea 84 or 94; Mythic Rider; Elan 888; Head Monster 88.? Not sure I can get Icelantics anywhere -- a rare bird.? Nordica Afterburner (84mm) is also getting great reviews, but they tend to be pricey (ugly graphics, too).? Blizzard Magnum 8.7 might be a consideration, too, but I don't know much about them, other than they're really good on hard snow.

Still waiting for Ron and Phil to stick their oars in here -- whaddya think guys?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:56:28 am by Svend »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:27 am »
Suprised Dawg didn't suggest the 888 for you too Svend.....?  ???

For you Svend....finding something with the turning radius in that 17 to 20 meter is going to make that ski much more eastern friendly as well.

I've skied the 8.7 and that's a ski you could easily fall in love with....definetly a big "O" Ski.
I liked it's edge hold and it's got some awesome!

I think you should demo the Blizzard 8.7, the Watea 94 cause I think the 84 is going to be much too soft for you, and you know the MR.....and still curious about the 888.

G

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 09:14:41 am »
Suprised Dawg didn't suggest the 888 for you too Svend.....?? ???
He did....it's tucked in there in the middle of my list....his first choice for me too.   ;D

Thanks for the head's up on the 8.7.? Doesn't Phil have those?

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 09:28:41 am »
Sorry, my brain just saw it on Terryls list....

Yep...Phil can get the 8.7's .

Any chance you'll have an opportunity to demo any of your favs before the seasons end?

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 09:41:16 am »
How I use the Real Skiers website.

And now, based on those recommendations, I would go through and compare the carve and foregiveness numbers, and would probably eliminate those that don't have the green skier icon (because that matches me best).

I am pretty sure the Mythic Riders and the Blizzard 8.7's have the green icon, not sure about the othere.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:39:23 am by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 09:54:45 am »
Gary, I'll see what's available in Lake Placid next week.  We're there for the whole week, and there are a couple of shops in town that have a decent selection.  Would be good to ski on something other than the Mythics, to get a comparison.

Regarding Phil...is he a shop owner? I wasn't aware of that.  I just thought he owned a pair of Blizzard 8.7's.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 10:38:29 am »
Phil doesn't sell Blizzards this season. he may be able to get a pair.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 10:45:50 am »
No worries, Scott sells them, and he has great prices at the moment. 

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 06:03:40 pm »
Sorry, late to the party I was at work today.

What was the question? Where were we? Want some 8.7's? I will say it is one of the best skis I have ever skied. If you want some 8.7's in a 174 w/ a 5.14, I have a new pair here and will pass them along to you for less than Scott has them. PM me for phone. I glanced through the thread, but I am down to a 2 ski quiver, the 8.7 and a large rocker. I cannot think of anything  I wil be skiing that either of these skis cannot ski.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 07:25:53 pm »

Phil:

Just as a recap, Svend is 6'2", 230 lbs.  Is the 174 the right length for someone of that size, or should he ski it longer?

Jim

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 07:52:34 pm »
he should be on the 181.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 09:46:41 am »
Phil, thanks for the reply.  I'm also curious about the Magnum 8.1 and the Elan 888 for my wife (5'7", 130 lbs, strong skier, likes a ski with lots of energy and rebound, good torsional stiffness). Any comments or feedback on those? Too stiff, perhaps? The Elan, at least, has two layers of metal.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 09:58:54 am »
Phil, thanks for the reply.? I'm also curious about the Magnum 8.1 and the Elan 888 for my wife (5'7", 130 lbs, strong skier, likes a ski with lots of energy and rebound, good torsional stiffness). Any comments or feedback on those? Too stiff, perhaps? The Elan, at least, has two layers of metal.
The Freespice is the 888 w/o metal. sweet ski with great graphics. My wife has the 7.6's and like them a lot.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 10:09:54 am »
How are the 7.6's in deeper snow and crud?

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 12:06:03 pm »
How are the 7.6's in deeper snow and crud?
She has her Eo's for that.

What size ski for her?

There have been some EOs's 166's going on Ebay for 99.00 a steal.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 12:51:56 pm »
Looking for something in the 78 to 85 mm width, about 165 to 168 long.? Sorry, I've never heard of an EOs -- who makes it?  Belay that, just found it through Google.  Looks nice!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:55:06 pm by Svend »

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 01:05:56 pm »
Here is the deal.. 6 hours left, no worries that it is a demo binding, I actually like that better than the regular one. Pick these up for 150 or so shipped and pick up a 7.6 and have a mini quiver for her.

these are 88 underfoot and a very easy ski to ski, If they didn't have the 159 when Lola got hers she would have gotten them in this length

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 01:35:00 pm »
Great -- thanks Phil! BTW, this would be a second ski for her, and would make a quiver.  She's on Supershape Speed right now, 06/07 model, as her main eastern ski.  Loves 'em! Not selling those.  ;D

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 04:59:33 pm »
Great -- thanks Phil! BTW, this would be a second ski for her, and would make a quiver.? She's on Supershape Speed right now, 06/07 model, as her main eastern ski.? Loves 'em! Not selling those.? ;D

Yeah, don't get the 7.6's then..because she will never ski the Heads again. ;)

Try to "steal" the Eos's..even at 88 underfoot it is an easy ski and she would love it.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 08:14:29 pm »
Missed it -- was out all evening and not near a computer.  Probably a good thing, though, as I would like more time to research the ski and its suitability for my wife's needs.  If it looks like a winner, I'll keep my eyes peeled for another deal like that.  Thanks for the head's up Phil!

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 02:36:08 pm »
FYI, I'm buying the Mythic Riders that Ron and Gary's friend is selling.? Said to be in as-new condition, not a scratch on them.? Can't wait! He's shipping them to the UPS Store in Lake Placid for me to pick up next week while we're there, so I'll get to try them on a real mountain.? Will post back here with some comments.....

Thanks to all for your advice and guidance! Will keep you posted too on the results of the search for Terryl's skis.? If anyone comes across a great deal on a pair that we just can't refuse, feel free to send me a PM or whatever.

Cheers,

Svend
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:07:16 pm by Svend »

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 06:56:10 pm »
I'll be real surprised if you don't like the ski.  Even at 88mm underfoot it is fun on the groomers.  Off-piste it really shines...

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 10:39:04 pm »
Greg, not sure if you caught it at the start of this thread, but I rented a pair in Utah last week, and REALLY liked it. It was last year's model, too.  All the shop had was shorter lengths, and I think the one I was on was a 172.  Still, it was a lot of fun - great quick and short turns possible on the groomers, which amazed me for a ski with a 20m radius.  Lots of energy in the tail, which I love in a ski.  Off-piste it was fun, but too short, unfortunately.  The 178 that I'm getting should be much better in every way.  Really looking forward to getting it.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2009, 08:29:00 am »
I'll be real surprised if you don't like the ski.? Even at 88mm underfoot it is fun on the groomers.? Off-piste it really shines...

OK Greg, then you won't be surprised at my comments following a few days out on the Mythics.? Picked them up in Lake Placid last week and spent a day and a half on them there.? First runs were not great as the tune wasn't were I liked it.? Reset the base and edge bevels that evening and had them out again next day.? Much better, but the conditions on the slopes were poor -- icy at the top of the mountain, and melting porridge at the bottom.? Couldn't really stretch their legs and let 'em run to see what they could do under those conditions.

Took them out again yesterday for about 4 hours on the groomers, and had a great day on them.? Started with the bindings about 1 cm forward from the factory mark (which, incidentally, is exactly at the BOF-CRS mark.? Seems that Dynastar, at least, is mounting their bindings in the right spot.? Good one).? The skis just wanted to turn all the time, and were very quick and agile.? But I felt the tips were too weighted, and the tails washed out when doing shorter, more aggressive turns.? After about 6 or 8 runs, moved them back to the default mark, and had perfect balance and great control.? Sweet.

These skis are fun! Great GS cruisers.? Easy to turn, and they go where I want them to.? But with none of that "locked in the turn" feeling I had with the Contact Ltd.'s I demoed last year.

It took a while to get used the additional length and width.? I tried to do things I usually do on my Speeds, and learned what they can and can't do.? Naturally, they are slower edge to edge, but still fine.? Short turns can easily be done, with a bit of mustard -- but they are fun, and amazingly quick.? Narrow trails were no problem.

Stability -- fantastic.? Didn't even feel the crud.? And they had awesome edge grip, even on ice.? These will probably be my eastern ice skis from now on, they were so good.

I didn't find them overly heavy or cumbersome for a wider and longer ski than I'm used to.? They have lots of strength in the tail, and this gives a nice smooth push out of the turns.? Nothing mushy or boring there.? They are a bit lively, which is great -- much better than either of the Rossi's I've demoed this year.? Smooth too...very smooth.? A nice flowing feeling underfoot - nothing jittery or rough.? A nice balance of liveliness and stability/smoothness.

In short, they're great skis.? The tune seems right on now -- 1 & 2 on the bevels, detuned tips and tails.? I really like the bindings.? The Look bindings on these and the other Dynastar/Rossi's that I've been on this winter really feel solid and secure.

I'll take 'em out a couple of more times before the end of the year to get to know them better.? But I'm keeping them!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:14:02 pm by Svend »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 05:14:31 pm »
Update:? had 'em out again for a day last Friday.? Again, all groomed, warm temps, some ice, little bit of fresh snow on top of hardpack and ice.? The skis are a blast! They just wanna roar down the hill.? Really had to keep them reined in.? They are awesome for big, fast GS turns where you just hunker down and load up the tail and let 'em push you out of the turn.? What a hoot!

They seem to have a big sweet spot that makes it hard to get off balance.? And I'm still amazed at their edge grip -- there must be something in the construction (cap build fore and aft, sidewall underfoot) that makes them so easy to turn, great in soft snow and crud, and yet have such fantastic edge grip on icy stuff.? Graphics are cool too -- the wild west styling makes them look ready for a shootout in Dodge City.? Gary thinks I should swap my viking helmet for a cowboy hat....YeeHaw! Just need leather chaps (with fringes!) over my ski pants....Tres Chic!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:17:09 pm by Svend »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 08:01:23 pm »
Update:[/i

T? Gary thinks I should swap my viking helmet for a cowboy hat....YeeHaw! Just need leather chaps (with fringes!) over my ski pants....Tres Chic!

Uh, Brokeback Mountain just keeps coming back!!! >:D

(duck and cover) ;D
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 07:45:34 am »
Ok...if they made impact resistant cowboy hats.... ;D

I'm really having a problem seeing Svend on the slopes in chaps...Now if he was competing in the Cowboy Downhill at Steamboat...Well alright already.....but with the gang??? I'm skiing certainly a good 100 hands away for Cowboy Svend...ah...what a ring! There's gotta be a cowboy song in there.

Now saddle that steed up Terryl and go easy on the spurs!  >:D

Svend....please leave your six shooter at the ticket booth!

Best,
G

speed163

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 04:11:59 pm »
Gary,

Dudley Do Right he's not ;D I have seen Svend ride a horse once.? He has admired them from the ground ever since. Trust me, he is much better suited to skis or long boats (nordic blood; not convinced on the "pillage and plunder" characteristics) ;) ;) ;) I reck'on the only stamped'in he's inclined to pursue would be a downhill slope ....... devoid of barrels and chuck wagons.? Helmet hair at the saloon, with a quick draw of a pint would be the only semblance of connection with these Dynastars.? As for chaps......they may be better suited for the terrain park (if I recall a particular thread from last season referencing the importance of protective placement) or trees.

I never knew a pair of skis could induce such a fantasy.? Multiple skis, for multiple terrains, reflective of multiple moods or personalities??? ::) What have you done to this poor skier? Spurred him on!! I definitely don't need my own pair, as his trusty cohorts seem to be doing just fine ;) ;).

Ride on cowboy? >:D

Terryl

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:07:49 pm by Terryl »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 06:02:37 pm »
Hey Gary....the chaps serve double duty:? protection from tree branches, and protection from spur wounds.? Maybe you should get a pair? For the trees, anyway.... ;D? While you're at it, get yerself a pair O' Mythics, pardner -- they gots lots of orange on them thar topsheets.

And Ms. Lynn, dahlin',? :-*? why thank you kindly for your concern, Ma'am.? But my back ain't broke.? A little bit bent and twisted, fer sure, but not broke.? Nope.? No way.? Don't know nuthin' 'bout no Brokeback Mountain place, neither.? Can cowboys ski there?? Hope they got a good saloon there, that don't put no water in their whiskey.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:11:12 pm by Svend »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 08:55:04 am »
Terryl....giddy up there cowgirl..it's obvious you know your fellow bunk mate very well. He and I do share a common ability....not being able to seriously ride horses...my wife...well she's an Annie Oakly. Now..hmm....I certainly could invest in some serious leathers for her...yes..chaps for me wife. Let me not tread there...

Getting back on the wagon....what we've done to your hubby is to have enlightened him in the ways of the Americans Stimulus Plan...spend spend spend. You see...we Americans are a sneaky bunch when it comes to ski equipment. Plus...the added benefit of paying airline companies more money to ship more gear. YOu see...how it all get's spread around. For the most part....the cowboy loves his new best underfoot buddies....and we all know a happy cowboy is a ............!

So keep smiln' yippie eye a....and soon if I know Svend....you'll have another pair of boards for your other saddle bag.

Now....take off them there spurs before you boot up!
  ;D
G

speed163

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 08:33:25 am »
Gary,

you are now implicated as a definite accomplice in the arrival of a said pair of powder skis >:D Yes, I reck'on Annie and I will have to keep you cowboys reigned in, given your penchant for all things alpine related (with or without chaps ;D).

However, timing is everything.  Our season has tentatively come to a close.  Talk about a BIG tease!! They will have to be coralled with the other ponies until  they can be ridden or stamped'in any pow  >:( >:( >:(

Thanks to y'all for your input and advice. The Dynastar Exclusive Legends have a new stable to call home. :) :)

Terryl

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 11:15:05 am »
Well there missy cowgal....

Mission accomplished....we did it!

one final thought...never say never....those cowpolk gates could be opened as easy as lasooing a ticket to the wild west.

Still turning the boards here and Holiday Valley...just a hop skip and a romp for the Neilsons to the white covered mountains of New York.

Sure has been a mighty fine year to date. Looking forward to making turns with y'all later this year. See, that doesn't sound so far away!!  ;D

Now...go brush down them there ponies, set down by the fire, and let's share some skipolk stories as the spring and summer close in.  ::)

Gesh..I'm missing snow already!   :'(

G

speed163

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 12:13:59 pm »
W-i-d-e and dusty they will be.  :(

The carrot is already dangling ..........new boards........no snow.........distan t memories of scream'in down a run.  At this rate, we're going to need a 50lb bag of the veggies!

By the time June hits, our ski  stories will be bigger and better than ever. :o

Shucks........will have to leave these ponies tethered until the fluffy stuff hits again.  The upside will be plan'in where to share some barrel turns and bumps.

I'll also have to find me a cowboy hat with attachable ear plugs hidden in the flaps, as the Viking is headed to The Rockies next week (the Powder Highway, no doubt).

Golly.....it's going to be a l-o-n-g spring.  >:(

Terryl

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 08:31:33 pm »
.....the Viking is headed to The Rockies next week
Yup, going there for work...hope to ski Sunshine Mtn. or Lake Louise for at least one day.? One of the sweetest perks this job gives me? :) :) :)
Actually, just talked to someone out in Alberta today, and they're getting one snowstorm after another --- awesome! At least there's somewhere in Canada that still has snow.

In case anyone didn't catch it, Terryl just got a pair of skis delivered yesterday -- Dynastar Exclusive Legend Powder, 08 model, like new condition, pampered and babied by a shop in Banff that is famous for it's meticulous tuning.? These should be fantastic skis -- 85 mm underfoot, 165 cm long, soft shovel, firm tail with lots of springiness, great torsional stiffness, same construction as my Mythics -- cap fore and aft, sidewall midsection (an interesting build which seems to have considerable merits).? Nothing but rave reviews from all the ladies who've skied it (and some male testers, too!)

But, poor Terryl -- she'll have to look at them wistfully all spring, summer and fall.? But we'll only need a 50 lb bag if she actually catches one of the danglers -- if I make the pole long enough, we'll save a lot of money on carrots.? ;D

Well, a consolation is that at least our car has an automatic transmission, so the "therapy" of doing 90 mph (that's 145 kph up here) in 4th gear isn't gonna happen.? ?;D ;D? Though doubtless that pesky "S" button (S = sport mode) in the middle of the shift lever will get plenty of action.....and I'll be shopping for new turbocharger before long..... ::)
Ooops...forgot about the tiptronic shifter....I guess we do have a 4th gear....rats!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:34:32 pm by Svend »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 09:15:09 am »
Hope you'll be sinking some skis in that Canadian powder Mr. Viking sir....I mean I know you'll have to take it on the chin from the rest of us but wow....opportunity.

And Terryl....like I said...still snow in NY and looks like snow is predicted for HV this Sunday...still might have a chance before the season fizzles out to make some soft buttery turns.

I just can't let go...not yet anyway!  ;D

G

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 02:07:39 pm »
Terryl
Congratulations!!
I saw those skis at the Alta Demo shop and seriously considered taking them out for a spin. Decided it was too late in the day for me though.
VERY PRETTY and, I am sure, excellent performing skis.  ;) ;D
I look forward to reading your review next season.
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

speed163

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 09:53:37 pm »
I almost demoed them in Utah this past Feb.  I regret not having done so.  The young woman in the shop raved about them and said most female skiers that tried them had nothing negative to say. In addition, they were well researched by my personal norseman and trusty cohorts.  Too bad I wasn't traveling out west next week with Svend, as I could try them on their 'home' turf.

Unfortunately, you are right Lynn.  I will have to relay my feedback next season. :'(  Perhaps a coordinating ski ensemble is required to enhance the aesthetics of the skis ?  ;)

This leads me to NY........while The Viking is away, I have no time to play.(more  :'( :'( :'( )  I would love to carve up some GS turns, but I reck'on my fillies need tend'in.  The new ponies will have to remain bridled until they can share some 'tubocharged' slope time with like-minded ski folks. :(.  Until then, I'll have to be content with seasonal ski memories and taunting Svend with the manual shifting option .

Again, thanks to y'all for your input. The best is yet to come.

Giddy-up into spring....summer... ..fall......

Terryl